Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
On a recent Geeklist, I lamented the fact that, although I love Samurai, it seldom gets played. A poster remarked that he played with his young daughter; he merely removed the exchange tiles from the game.

I decided to try this with my family. My wife had played the game numerous times before but neither my 6 year old son nor my 5 year old daughter had ever seen the game.

I set the board up and explained the rules, omitting the exchange tiles. Rather than place the figures according to the rules, I just let the children place them randomly. We also draw 5 tiles randomly, rather than picking our tiles.

The game began and soon my wife and I were fighting for control of the Capital and and nearby villages. My son soon joined in. My duaghter, meanwhile, was placing tiles in the outlying areas, far from competition. She made a few bad moves early, for which my wife and I offered suggestions of better moves.

As the game proceeded, my daughter picked up a few figures, here and there. Meanwhile my wife and I were still battling in the center of the board. My son had claimed one of the smaller islands for his own, but it took most of his tiles to claim the pieces.

About this time my daughter whispered to me, "I think I'm going to win". "You might", I replied, humoring her. Soon the last rice field was taken, ending the game. But the family wanted to continue playing, so we played until all the figures were captured.

I then explained the scoring. The winner is the person with the most of two types of figures, but the usually doesn't happen. But let's first separate the figures by type and count them up. Then I will explain the next step. Rather than make the game too confusing, I just told them that if someone didn't have the most in two types, then the person with the most figures overall would win. We then counted up our figures, and to my surprise, my daughter had a majority of two types, winning the game outright.

"I told you I was going to win", she said. I guess next time, we won't ignore her during the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.