Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sven Van Roeyen
Belgium
Ekeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/descent_preview6.html

Details on the reference sheet and boxes for storing during campaigning...Happy reading !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Schneider
Germany
Regensburg
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it only me or do the previews get shorter?

Anyway, I think this sounds quite good. Finally being able to save midgame. Only, given that they seem to think about letting us save middungeon, how do we save the state of the dungeon itself? Still with a photo or will there be a system for this, too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Johnson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Duck!
mbmbmbmbmb
The dungeons are designed to be a bit smaller and in 'levels' which will be on cards. I assume you will at least have to finish the 'level' of the dungeon to save progress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cédric Billette
Canada
Aylmer
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mongoose86 wrote:
Is it only me or do the previews get shorter?

I can't see this one yet (firewalled), but previews 4 and 5 were not really any shorter than before.
And with 3(!) previews a week (go on, count 'em), I think we can safely say that FFG are outdoing themselves yet again. I'd rather get shorter previews more often than longer ones with long waiting periods in between.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Will this work with only the base game or will you need the other expansions as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
RtL does not require either of the other two expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Way
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Doing my civic duty to help the firewall challenged...

Descent: The Road to Legend — Preview #6
Packing for the Road to Legend

By now we've made it very clear that a single play through of the advanced campaign can take weeks of genuine, real-life time. Individual play sessions can be as short as one hour, but the total campaign cannot realistically be played in one sitting.

(If you manage to play an entire Road to Legend campaign in one go, take pictures and let us know!)

Mothers, wives, roommates, and game tables across the world will be delighted to hear that we here at FFG don't expect you to leave the game set up until the campaign is finished. No, we understand that the road to legend is a journey, and one of the most important steps on a journey is packing the things you need away.

Road to Legend comes with six boxes that are used to store important items and information between sessions. Each hero gets a box, the overlord has one, and finally there is the graveyard, which holds cards and tokens that are no longer available for a given campaign. (This is where lieutenants go when they are slain, for example.)

Saving the game in between sessions is, therefore, very simple! For the heroes, all they have to do is put their character sheet, skill and item cards, and any relevant tokens that affect their hero in their box. One party member is the party treasurer, and he gets all the gold the party has amassed as well as any party upgrades such as the Enchanted Boat or Kerak's Map or other cards that affect the whole party.

The overlord does the same — he places all his avatar upgrade, plot, and lieutenant cards in his box, along with his avatar sheet. If the party was in the middle of a dungeon, then he also adds his current hand of overlord cards.

Naturally, not everything can be stored in boxes. Notably, the position of all the various tokens on the overland map cannot be stored in a pristine condition without the aid of scotch tape… or one of the handy provided campaign reference sheets.

Completed campaign reference sheet.
The campaign reference sheet tracks a number of important pieces of information. Firstly, it tracks the total conquest accumulated thus far by the heroes and the overlord, the current campaign level (determined by the total conquest), and the XP remaining for each hero. It also tracks abstract avatar upgrades like treachery and current monster level. The campaign reference sheet can track things on the game board that are otherwise tracked by tokens, such as the location of lieutenants and the status of each city on the board, so when you set up the board again to resume your game you can easily return the tokens to their appropriate locations. Each dungeon on the board is also noted on the campaign sheet so that its status (explored, not explored, or currently–being–explored–and–this–is–what–level–we're–on) can be tracked.

If the game is saved while the party is in a dungeon, then a few more factors must be accounted for. The overlord's current hand of cards is just placed in his box, but he could potentially have a very large amount of threat, so a slot for that is included on the sheet. Also, since the overlord can earn conquest for exhausting his deck of cards, how many cards he has remaining is relevant. When the game is stored, the overlord counts up the cards in his discard pile and notes the number on the reference sheet. When the game resumes, he shuffles the overlord deck and then discards that many cards from the top of it, thereby returning to more or less the state he was in when the game was paused last time.

Finally, there's a section for noting which power cards the overlord currently has in play (these are also stored in the box, but marking them on the reference sheet makes it clear which cards are in his hand and which are in play).

Don't worry — there's a pretty thick pad of campaign reference sheets in the Road to Legend box, so as long as you can provide your own pen or pencil you can play many, many campaigns of Road to Legend. And if you do manage to run out somehow, you'll be able to download copies of the reference sheet from the Descent support page by the time Road to Legend hits store shelves.

That's all for now. Join us next time when we meet some old friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Nott
United States
Warrensburg
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm just trying to wrap my head around how all of this stuff is going to actually fit inside the RtL box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lagduf wrote:
I'm just trying to wrap my head around how all of this stuff is going to actually fit inside the RtL box.

With no new plastic it means they could pack the box absolutely solid with cardboard and decks of cards.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Haskell
United States
Geneseo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Lagduf wrote:

With no new plastic it means they could pack the box absolutely solid with cardboard and decks of cards.

-MMM

please be true....please be true....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Weihs
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
RtL does not require either of the other two expansions.

I suspect, though, that ownership of the expansions will be accounted for in RTL. FFG has a good history of supporting its expansions without making owners of the original game (only) suffer. I'd expect options that deal with things such as treachery, trolls, the newer items, etc. to show up in the rear of the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob "Bodhi" Wolff
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As for working with the expansions ...

The "Legends" is designed to work with the base game, but also with the expansions.

As an example: Each dungeon has 4 possible layouts. Layouts A and B are possible with the base game. Layouts C and D are only possible with each of the expansions respecively.

It is a fair compromise.

In "Legends" you can travel to cities to train up specific skills (instead of drawin randomly and taking your chances). If you don't own the expansion which contains the skill, you can't use that skill, but it is no skin off your nose knowing that you'd travel to "Forge" to train it, as an example.

So realistically you can use it with just the base game.

But there will be things scattered throughout which defininitely refer to expansion aspects, skills, layouts, monsters, abilities, characters, and items.

If you don't own 'em, it doesn't look like it matters much. It looks like it is designed to work without them just fine.

But now would be the *perfect* time to pick them up and add them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

With no new plastic ...
-MMM

Did they make the new dice with old plastic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DIMITRIOS KANOS
Greece
ALEXANDROUPOLI
EVROS
flag msg tools
mbmb
The best part from this preview was for me the six boxes for storing the cards. They are both practical and beautiful and I've never seen something like this in any other game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
dimitkan wrote:
The best part from this preview was for me the six boxes for storing the cards. They are both practical and beautiful and I've never seen something like this in any other game.

Agreed. It's the boardgaming solution to a D&D character sheet. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Nott
United States
Warrensburg
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Octavian wrote:
Lagduf wrote:

-MMM

I reiterate:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how everything is going to fit in the box.

It's going to be a tight fit, thats for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Eyers
United Kingdom
Haxby
York
flag msg tools
Spielguy wrote:
Octavian wrote:

With no new plastic ...
-MMM

Did they make the new dice with old plastic?

No - the dice are actually made with silver and gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cédric Billette
Canada
Aylmer
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
dimitkan wrote:

Agreed. It's the boardgaming solution to a D&D character sheet. cool

It also means that you won't be able to pull out your Descent game for a good-old one-shot dungeon mid-campaign, unless you write down what's in each box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.