Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, looking for a bit of advice on the bidding system that many seasoned A&A players use... I have a match set up for a week from now, myself and a friend against two others. We love to talk trash and are playing for some serious bragging rights. We are all experienced players and consider ourselves pretty sharp in terms of known moves/tactics/rules exploitations.

My friend and I are playing the Axis. That's already been decided. I'm aware of the bidding system that many players use but I'm not sure how standard or expected it is. In other words, are we foolish to play the Axis without any extra IPCs against two well matched opponents? Would it be reasonable or wussy to ask for extra IPCs even though we've already decided sides?

Again, the bidding is new and I'm trying figure out what most other people do.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I played with bidding a little by e-mail a long time ago. The consensus was that the Axis is a little weaker, so they should get some IPCs worth of stuff. I usually asked for 5. I played with someone who was quite good who asked for a lot more, over 10 I think.

The idea of the bidding, though, was to determine who plays Axis. It doesn't really work if you definitely want to play Axis. We did a blind bid, and whoever asked for less IPCs go the Axis. The idea is that if you end up being Axis, you always got however many IPCs you thought was necessary to make it balanced. If you got the Allies, the Axis player always got fewer IPCs than you thought would make it balanced.

You could do it another way. You could make a "take it or leave it" bid. If they give you the IPCs, you take Axis. If they won't, you make them take the Axis with the same IPCs.

Keep in mind the IPCs are not just given to you on your first turn. You get that much worth of stuff before your first turn. So that stuff can be moved / used immediately. Other than just balancing out the game, I like the opportunity to customize my starting setup a little. A always went for a Japanese tank on the Asian mainland. It helped with my strategy of blitzing over China and India.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few methods of bidding that I'm aware of. You can roll a die and the person who rolls highest starts off the bidding. For instance, I'll take the Axis +3, then your opponent either accepts your bid or bids lower, Axis +2 or Axis +1. This process continues until one side accepts the other sides bid.

In some cases you are allowed to purchase units with the additional bid IPC's for immediate placement on the board (with leftover IPC's going to either Germany or Japan). In other cases you are only allowed to use half of the bid amount (either rounded up or down) to purchase units for immediate placement on the board. If you're allowed to use the entire bid amount expect the bid amounts to be between +3 and +7. If you're only allowed to place half expect bid amounts to be higher ie. +6 to +12.

Also affecting the bids will be how the bids are created. If you only get one shot at the bid I wouldn't suggest a bid of Axis +9, simply because if your opponent bids Axis +8, he'll win and have an extra tank and infantry somewhere on the Asian mainland and then you're in serious trouble.

In my opinion bidding and placing only half the bid amount on units immediately is the best solution. It allows the Axis some additional units and some additional IPC's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both for your replies. Very helpful. I need think now what makes sense for this match. Perhaps since we've already chosen sides, we just deal with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.