Subject: By Hook Or By Crook - [session report] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5p game. My first game, as well as 4 others. I believe the game owner may have played it before, but not too many times prior. As usual, rules were explained, but usually, it isn't until into the game (sometimes when it's too late) that I get the biggest picture of the game.

players:
me blue = blu
black = blk
red = red
yellow = yel
green = grn

game summary
-I was doing well in the beginning, but that was easily short lived, as I expected. I got slowly passed on the board gradually, and in due time
-I had a 3 card sequence (3sequ) on my exhibits (exh), but I lost a card to a thief, which broke that and made moving forward very difficult
-lost my 9 thief card to a detective

I had many rounds of bad luck/decisions
-for a couple rounds of play, exhibits did NOT let me chain my AB and DE exhibit cards together. Wouldn't have been surprised if those C exh cards were rarer. If not that, other players were hoarding them.
-several of my low checks got outbid
-got 2 checks stolen when bidding
-2 theives got played that cancelled each other out. No checks could be stolen

-On the flipside, things did turn around somewhat. I never gotpmy C exh card, but I did have a 4sequ card.
-Of course, my 4sequ was near worthless as I wouldn't be able to get 2nd place due to those 2 players described below, so I just stole their artwork
-blk had his 7sequ broken up for a few turns, but he eventually got it reattached
-player to my right also had an arsenal of 7sequ.
-managed to get 2 more checks, but at that point, all the other either well established or well enough to make do to roll along.
-my 4 thief card was no match for another player's 12 thief card, but that didn't make a significant difference. All the cards being offered were As and Bs.... no Cs, since the player(s) who played exh cards knew we were gonna steal, they went low on purpose
-last move just bef blk moved into the "endzone", I played my thief. Got to steal an exh, but again, I was too overpowered for it to be useful
-to kind of add insult to injury, my 9 thief got released from prison since the queue of 5 prison spots finally filled up with our 2 theives going in that last turn

final score
Use this image as a reference if need be....

me: Harlech Castle - 3rd square (from start), 1st spot (usually of 2 total, except for the corner squares which have 3)

red: Syon House - 4th square, 1st spot
yel: Culledon House - 9th square, 1st spot
grn: Castle Coch - 10th square, 2nd spot
blk: endzone - 10th spot of 13 (I'm only counting the solid, pink squares as spots and not the spot with the graphics)

Also note, there are a total of 12 standard squares on the board.

Wish I picked up on the gameplay and gameflow sooner. Otherwise, add this to another one in the pile of games "I'd like to play again, especially since I understand it better, but probably will never since doubtful anyone else will have it".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.