21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Board Games popularity rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
paul candelaria
United States
flag msg tools
Has the popularity of board games increased or decreased in the last five years?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Such a short, to the point question deserves a short, to the point answer: Yes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On a more serious note...
At least here in Denmark, I´ve noticed a surge in boardgame popularity in recent years. One of the more obvious signs being that game stores have moved from obscure back alleys, and into the more high profile shopping streets. And recent newspaper articles seem to indicate trendiness!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's see... I rarely see anyone who recognizes the games I bring.

I've brought it into hardcore card shops. I've brought them into gatherings with church people. I've brought them to friends from high school. I've brought them to friends from college. I've played them with my sister. I've gotten on the school magazine in an article.

It's a lot more work to get board games going, but it is satisfying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Twinge
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Revelade wrote:
I've brought it into hardcore card shops. I've brought them into gatherings with church people. I've brought them to friends from high school. I've brought them to friends from college. I've played them with my sister. I've gotten on the school magazine in an article.

Have you played them on a boat? Have you played against a goat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will not play them, Sam-I-am.
I will not play boardgames with ham.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
I will not play them, Sam-I-am.
I will not play boardgames with ham.
Will you play them with a fox?
If the fox was Courtney Cox.

Johnny Bravo joke. Probably already stale for topic humor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here in Ottawa there has been an increase in popularity of designer games (the ones touted on BGG). BUT in overall numbers of boardgamers I am less certain. The children and early teens market is quite different. I suspect that the game market continues to shrink at the expense of internet based games.

In the adult market, the major part of gaming are party games and card games. I suspect that party games have peaked. After trivial pursuit came out there was a huge growth in the party game market. Now it may have peaked or may be shrinking.

As for card games, there is no doubt that there has been an explosion here of people playing poker(live and especially on line). The invention of the game of Texas hold-em has been responsible. I know lots of people in their 20s that have poker nights now.

Amongst teens(I teach in a high school) there has been a definite drop (at my school) in gaming from the mid to late 90s when many of them were playing collectible card games. There had also been a lot of teens playing dominoes at one point and the card game "asshole" had its peak back in the 90s also. Now they don't play so many games on their own. Most of the gaming takes place at the game club which I started but even that is not too popular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will you play some Eurosnoot
With wine and music from a flute?
Will you play Ameritrash
While belching from your beans and hash?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After two separate after dinner gaming sessions 5 of our friends 'saw the light' (Zooloretto and Felix the cat in the sack). Based on this limited evidence I'd say yes. However, would be interesting to see what hard stats there are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I hope that they're getting more popular, but I have little other than my sunny disposition and boundless optimism to support that

Wings of War: Famous Aces is currently my poison of choice for indoctrinating new blood into the hobby, with a 100% success ratio so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Severino
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that popularity has increased tremendously over the past 5 years.

For proof of argument, I did a little test, looking into the Internet Wayback Machine (http://web.archive.org) at the websites of several popular game companies back in early 2003. The results are quite interesting.

Fantasy Flight Games was a mere shell of its current self. Most of its premier games (Citadels, Through the Desert, Kingdoms, Drakon, Cave Troll, MagBlast) were games that comprise their Silver Line now. None of their current blockbusters were around back in 2003. They weren't producing Descent, Runebound, War of the Ring, Arkham Horror, TI3, Fury of Dracula, LOTR Confrontation, Doom, Tide of Iron, Wings of War, A Game of Thrones, or Blue Moon. It's simply amazing how many great games they've produced in the last 5 years.

How about Days of Wonder? Their product line consisted of Fist of Dragonstones and Gang of Four. Amazingly, Ticket to Ride wasn't even out yet. And Pirate's Cove, Shadows Over Camelot, Memoir '44, and Battlelore were just in the land of dreams and hopes.

What about that star-in-the-making company, Z-MAN Games? What did Zev have available back in early 2003? It was a company built around ShadowFist and a couple of B-Movie card games. There wasn't even a hint of all the wonderful games to come out of Z-Man such as Saboteur, Fairy Tale, Reef Encounter, Primordial Soup, Santiago, Midgard, Duel in the Dark, 1960: Making of the President, Prophecy, and Pandemic.

I tried to go back and look at Asmodee's US website, but back in 2003 it was still "under construction". Imagine a world without cool games like Dungeon Twister, Mission Red Planet, Cash N Guns, Fire & Axe, Mr. Jack, Wicked Witches Way, and Age of Gods.

All 4 of these companies have just EXPLODED in popularity over the past few years. They have unleashed a plethora of good games to boardgaming hobbyists around the world.

And new, interesting companies like Valley Games, Smirk & Dagger, On the Line, Your Move Games, and Red Juggernaut have appeared on the scene. I don't believe any of them were around back in early 2003.

And even older, veteran companies like Mayfair, Columbia, and Rio Grande have been pumping out lots of new games in recent years.

In fact, many longtime gamers wonder if there are TOO MANY new games coming out? I don't feel that's such a big worry. I love CHOICE, as I'm sure most consumers do. The more the merrier I say. Let the free market decide which games become popular; don't artificially limit our choices!

Back in my youth during the 70's and 80's, I played lots of board games. The simple fact is that back then, there was nowhere near the immense variety of choices and styles of board games that exists today.

I think board gaming is experiencing a major upwards swing in terms of popularity (along with miniature wargaming as well), as older gamers who grew up during the personal-computer explosion of the early 1980's look towards more social forms of entertainment to supplement the somewhat solo pursuit of video gaming that has been dominating the gaming scene for many years. And for today's teenagers, board games must feel like a shiny new toy. We 40-somethings grew up on tabletop games, only to discover computer/video games later on. But today's kids grow up on computer/video games, only to discover that there are actually non-digital games that you can play face-to-face, and they're still fun!

It's a good time to be a board gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
The situation's bad as a whole here in Sweden, but yes, I feel board games have gone up recently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess, and feel free to disagree, is that with the coninutal rise in video games, board games will become more popular. That is because video games are becoming more real every day with better graphics and more engrossing characters. They are fast paced and violent. It is becoming more and more like a movie. Very few video games require strategy anymore. Games like Civ will likely become less popular. Even a computer game like Baldur's Gate required a lot of reading, and problem solving and was at times slow paced. As the fast paced, graphics based games become bigger and better, any hint of strategy will leave the video gaming industry, and the only place you will find it is in board games.

So those in society that need a challenge for their head, will turn more fully to board games.

You could also have a revolution from the isolationism that technology is creating. People now would rather play with their friends online, than in person. My wife is playing scrable on facebook with her sister, byt she won't play in person with me. They would rather txt partial words to each other than actually talking on the phone. I asked my sister in-law why you would text someone instead of just calling them, and she replied that calling them would be rude.

As virtual lifestyles become more popular than real ones, and the only way you react with someone is through a keyboard or joystick, I hope a portion of society will rise up in defiance to that, sit around a table with real people, and pick up some dice.

Piq
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Scheiderich
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, at least I hope so.

Being an aging (or aged) gamer - small test: how many of you received Risk for Christmas when originally released at age 9?

They say keeping the mind active is one way to stave off Alzheimer's...

So one would think...damn can't remember what I was about to type.

Popularity up here at home (literally my home) but only by having to push to play...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawaka Winada
United States
Stornhelm
Rivenspire
flag msg tools
badge
Piqsid wrote:
Games like Civ will likely become less popular. ... As the fast paced, graphics based games become bigger and better, any hint of strategy will leave the video gaming industry, and the only place you will find it is in board games.

Boy I sure hope you're wrong, because a computer game like Civ simply can not be replicated as a boardgame (no offense to Through the Ages fans, but it's not even close to the same experience). Today's computers are just starting to get the processing power required for heavy strategy simulations like Victoria or Dominions 3 or for reasonably fast AIs for games like Civ. With the no end in sight for the increase in computational power we could see more and more detailed simulations over the years if only developers are willing to create them and the players are willing to buy them. And I for one will keep buying if they keep developing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Wooden
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak for the UK as a whole, but in the tiny part of it that I can influence, I can confidently say that in the last year, at least 12 more people have now experienced the wonder of Boardgames and are converted. (I even gave Lost Cities to a couple of friends who were touring S America for 6 months, and they claimed to have played it constantly and still love it!)

Now if all of them convert 12 more people next year etc etc.....well you do the maths (or 'math' as I believe our transatlantic friends mistakenly call it )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Koldfoot wrote:
To be fair, the popularity of boardgames has only increased with cool people.

That's because Alaska is cold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Danothx wrote:
Has the popularity of board games increased or decreased in the last five years?

Probably not.

However, globalization has expanded the marketplaces of many games. Any new title is now exposed to a larger, international customer base, and consumers have a much broader range of products to choose from. Locally, it would seem that more people are now after more games. But, in reality, it's probably close to the same amount of games and players, but it's now a more homogenous society.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.