Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Acin
United States
Coral Gables
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which wargame that you've played has had the most staying power? by that I mean that the game has not lost its luster over time. That the game has not become boring or you only play it once in a long while (less than twice a month)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meng Tan
Australia
Bridgeman Downs
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure there's any wargame I play as often as twice a month. Even if I had oodles of time, it would have to be a very light wargame that would hit the table that often. AND if I played any light wargame that often, I would definitely get sick of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcikal wrote:
Which wargame that you've played has had the most staying power? by that I mean that the game has not lost its luster over time. That the game has not become boring or you only play it once in a long while (less than twice a month)?

I'm somewhat speaking on behalf of others here, because I've only personally been involved with it for about a year.

But I think Advanced Squad Leader falls into that camp for a lot of people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Up Front

We the People

Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Advanced Squad Leader fits that bill for me.

Also, at any given point I seem to be playing one or two PBEM games of WWII: Barbarossa to Berlin, so I guess that game does it for me too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb

RUSSIAN FRONT
VG ACW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Acin
United States
Coral Gables
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok let me rephrase the question:

Which Wargame do you play the most often and for the longest time? If you can, when you mention the game, also mention the times you've played it and for how long (years or months).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Advanced Squad Leader.

Certainly more than 500 plays.

I've been playing for about 14 years.

ASL should almost be disqualified from this because of the number of different scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Grand Imperialism (our own house version, q.v.) once or twice a year since 1986. That may not sound like a lot, but each game takes twenty hours.

I played the campaign game of Empires of the Middle Ages for a few hours every week last year from February to June.

I play Pax Britannica once or twice a year--for a while, the tradition was to play two games on consecutive days.

But though I love to wargame, time is at a premium and I have a very large collection so it's rare that I repeat the same game in rapid succession (says the guy who played Stargate three times last month.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edwards
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Napoleon at Waterloo
Up Front
Bitter Woods and the later editions.
Wooden Ships & Iron Men

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawaka Winada
United States
Stornhelm
Rivenspire
flag msg tools
badge
About the only wargame I play any more is Barbarian, Kingdom & Empire, it hits the table once or twice a year, and I've been playing it since it came out in 1983.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having been playing wargames since the days when Squad Leader had not yet been dreamed up, I look back over all the games that I have played. I consider the number of games played for a single title, and the length of time that the game has been around/ I've been playing it.

Given those two elements, the game that has the most staying power is Combat Commander: Europe. Why? Though the game has only been around for about one year, I have played it more than any other game in my life. I still would play this game 2-3 times a day, if given a chance.

In 14 months, I've played it 60 times. There is no other game that I play as consistently. Even when Squad Leader was new, I played it only 10-20 times in the first year I owned it, and only a handful of times in the past 10 years.

Wooden Ships and Iron Men I've played about 15 times, over 25 years.

CC: E is going to be the one, is the one, that has the staying power of which you speak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing Advanced Squad Leader at least 3 times a month for the last 15 months or so. I don't see myself getting tired of it anytime in the foreseeable future.

Also, while I haven't had it all that long, I find that I'm always enthusiastic about playing Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage, which is easy to do given the short setup and playing time. This seems like another great game for the long haul.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
World in Flames was a standard in our group for many years (even though each game would take a year to finish, another would be started within a month or so of the last ending). Twilight struggle received several plays (mostly cyberboard), as did Ardennes '44.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In genereral order of number of plays.

Cobra
Victory in the Pacific
Panzergruppe Guderian
Battles for the Ardennes
The Russian Campaign
Wolfpack
Battle for Germany
Chickamauga: The Last Victory, 20 September 1863
A House Divided
Napoleon's Last Battles
Sinai
Borodino
War at Sea (second edition)
Arnhem
Winter War
Axis & Allies
Blue Max
Ardennes '44

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Goudeau
United States
Moody
Alabama
flag msg tools
Laissez les bons temps rouler
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of favorite series since the early 90's

Civl War Brigade Series (wow - no wiki page I must rectify) - I find this to be the inheritor of the TSS system. I Try to get in between 4 and 6 battles a year. My favorite engagements - Thunder at the Crossroads (second edition), No Better Place to Die, April's Harvest: The Battle of Shiloh, April 6 & 7, 1862

GCACW_Series One of the best operational games I play, have to love the maps. I've been beaten badly but never had a bad experience 2 or so a year. I particular enjoy Here Come the Rebels

My son particularly likes Paths of Glory, Wilderness War and Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage We try to get in a play of each once or twice a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Gifford
United States
South Sioux City
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb

Great list Skip!!

I'll certainly buy in on the top 5!

I don't know if I can hit the 'twice a month' with anything before ASL, but I'll add in:

Terrible Swift Sword - First played 30 years ago. Played it all last year, about twice a month ( A monster just keeps on giving!)

Cedar Mountain - I have played this many times, and at least 2 to 3 times a year since 1981, except for my time on crack - er, ASL.

Pea Ridge - Same as above, since 1980.

and of course, ASL Let's see, at least 50 games a year since 1988, until a few years ago...

The Russian Campaign holds on, at least once a year since it came out.

Darksan wrote:

I know I'm overlooking something important. I'll get back to you!

---Russ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EastFront / EastFront II

is the game with most staying power of all the games I have played. With different 6 scenario's, fog of war and the whole Russian Frontto manouvre, this is a must have game for all serious gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, Twilght Struggle if it counts, otherwise Paths of Glory or maybe Combat Commander.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
For me...

VG ACW
Pea Ridge
VITP
WSIM
Soldiers
SL to ASL
Circus Maximus
Blue Max

I have a goal, probably unusual, to play every one of my games in the next few years - this should make for not too many repeats, as I have several games of rather large scope to go through - hell, I am even planning to build a 4 X 10 table just to accommodate Highway to the Reich and GDW's Operation Crusader, and those other monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Russ
United States
Marshall
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ASL used to be the most common for me, but anyone who knows me will predict what "The Game" is for me now (and has been for about 4 years): OCS. Mostly Enemy at the Gates in the past. Just finished a Hube's Pocket online and am about to start a Burma game. Case Blue will certainly be played soon. Just pushing a few counters around solo for now.

Lately I've been playing OCS for about 10-20 hours per week.

I do see a new contender on the horizon: The Devil's Cauldron. I'm pretty sure that will become a regular.

Cheers,
Jason
www.wargamedepot.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dietz
United States
Sigel
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Victory Games' Civil War

World in Flames --still using the vanilla version from 1986 or so. My son and I are now playing our 8th campaign game of it...ahh, the joy of having a child old enough to enjoy history/wargames!

Russian Campaign

Storm Over Arnhem
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim West
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I can fully respect ASL fans, and admire them greatly for their ability to juggle massive amounts of rules and statistical information but more than any other wargame I've played Ogre off and on for 28 years or so, and still love it as much today as I did back then. It's simple, clean system, ease of teaching, and just plain fun factor are all pluses in my book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vin
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may have to say Axis & Allies just becouse I get to play it with a lot of non wargames as well as wargames. This game is kind of a crossing over ( or mixing of ) the 2 kinds of gamers. Were I can not get a non wargamer to play WWII barbarossa to berlin I can get them to play Axis & Allies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Feldman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be Advanced Tobruk for me. More than 25 times in the past 5 years. If you add in all of the ATS games, it's more than 75 plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.