Richard Johnson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Duck!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic usually wipes us all over the ground and then spits us, but we recently had a game where we managed to win with out getting a single outbreak!

We played with four players and had the Medic, Operations Expert, Researcher and Scientist in play. We played the normal game with 5 Epidemic cards and as we dealt out the initial disease areas we were amazed that at the end every single one of the infected cities were in North America! This was our third game of the evening and we did shuffle the cards but everything was all bunched up in the US, Canada and Mexico.

We quickly got all of the dangerous three cubes down with everything being so close to the start and sent the operations expert out to go get a research station built out in Asia and deal with a few red cubes that started to pop up. Card draws were kind of lousy through the first half of the game and the colors were pretty spread out through the players so it took us half the game to get our first cure which was the black disease.

After the scientist cured the red disease the Medic managed to get the cards through a bit of shared knowledge with the Researcher to cure the black disease. On the Medics next turn we managed to eradicate both the black and Red diseases in a single turn! This provided us with a nice break only having to worry about the blue and yellow areas. We all jumped back to North and South America and started to knock everything back down and had a few close calls where a player knocked down the third card in a city right before it got drawn. We managed to with about four cards to go in the draw deck cure first the blue and a lucky draw by the Researcher got us the yellow cure. We managed to cure all the diseases, eradicating two of them, without having a single outbreak!

This was a very odd game and probably the easiest game of Pandemic I've ever played (then again I've only won one other game out of around 10 plays). One thing I love about Pandemic is how every game plays a little different. We really got lucky with the initial diseases and were able to keep things in check but we really focused on preventing outbreaks and worried less about curing disease which came in time. We probably could have won earlier had we allowed a few outbreaks to occur and focused on curing diseases but we were trying hard to have zero outbreaks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mojo shivers
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And for your next stunt, a game with four eradicated diseases!

That means you would need to make sure the last disease has no cubes on the board before you cure it. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Johnson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Duck!
mbmbmbmbmb
mojo shivers wrote:
And for your next stunt, a game with four eradicated diseases!

That means you would need to make sure the last disease has no cubes on the board before you cure it. Good luck!

Wow that would be really hard. Seeing as how I'm losing 80% of the time on normal difficulty any victory at all seems like an accomplishment. I think my next goal is to beat with 6 epidemic cards in the mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Johnson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Duck!
mbmbmbmbmb
We actually managed to replicate this again tonight with a less optimal initial layout of cubes. Two of the four different people were playing and we had the Dispatcher rather than the Researcher. We won on the very end of the deck through some creative trading and card play to get the last cure. We only managed to sunset one of the diseases this time though (black). We might need to add the sixth Epidemic card soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Burnett
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one finding this game to be such a challenge. In four sessions we have yet to beat the game (though we've come within one turn of doing so on two of those sessions). Not that I'm complaining. I've never had so much fun losing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.