Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Single player question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: d [+] [View All]
Dave Desilest
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If I want to play Arkaham Horror as a single player do I use more than one character in my game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have to, but you probably should.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I recommend playing as many characters as you can handle up to 4. I just finished a game with 4 and it went pretty well. Previously, I had only tried 3 when playing solo.

It's not too hard to manage as long as you keep moving the first player marker from sheet to sheet and keep everything separated. And remember that all your limits are set for 2~4, not 1, player.

The game isn't necessarily easier with more characters but I think it gives you more opportunity to explore and have fun. Plus, if one character is getting beat up, the others are usually doing decent; there is always something to do.

Even with 2 players, we each take 2 characters just to open the door on theme. With one each, it felt like we were just scratching the surface and primarily occupied with fighting monsters and closing gates without the free time to explore the encounters and pick up items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

The game isn't necessarily easier with more characters but I think it gives you more opportunity to explore and have fun. Plus, if one character is getting beat up, the others are usually doing decent; there is always something to do.

While the game does scale, I think it's a tough sell that it doesn't still get easier with more players. Unless you count victory in the final battle (which I don't, at least until Kingsport), the fewer actions are almost always huge. With one investigator, Dunwich, or a nasty herald like the King in Yellow, the game gets a whole lot more Lovecraftian in its bleakness

Of course, since I'm a masochist, I almost always go one investigator per player anyway. Which reminds me... I do have a few hours to kill this afternoon. Maybe it's time for Sister Mary to make a hopeless stand against the darkness...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
le_cygne wrote:
While the game does scale, I think it's a tough sell that it doesn't still get easier with more players.

I would generally agree with that. I think though it probably gets exponentially easier with 5 or more. Certain Mythos cards are easier with more characters (in both my games this weekend, I pulled the Rumor card that allows you to discard 3 spells to get 2 Clues each - I was able to meet the requirement before the 1st clue token hit the card in game 1 and with in 2-3 rounds in the 2nd game).

But I still feel strongly more than 1 character allows you to explore the game more than just play it (or have it play you!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Klein
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

But I still feel strongly more than 1 character allows you to explore the game more than just play it (or have it play you!).

In Arkham Horror, game plays YOU!

I honestly never bought into the "more players = easier game" theory. The games I've played with more than 4 players that have been won were won only just barely.

As for solo games, I like to play 2 characters, myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.