Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some questions regarding 5.35 Movement Restrictions:

1. 5.35(c) states "Only one unit may cross each river boundary (whether the bridge is blown or not) into a contested area each Movement Phase." Now I have yet to play, so maybe the answer is obvious (if so I apologize), but as long as one moves their units in the proper order, how does this restriction ever apply, since the stacking limit is two units?

For example, I move a unit across a river boundary into an uncontested space containing enemy units, thereby making it a contested space. At this point the restriction does not yet apply, since I moved a unit across the river into an uncontested space. I then move another unit across the same river boundary into the now contested space. 5.35(c) would now prohibit me from moving yet another unit across that same river boundary into the contested space, but I couldn't anyway because there are already two of my units there.

Even if the space were originally contested, so long as I move my units out, making it uncontested, I can still move two units across the same river boundary, as the first unit is not entering a contested area.

Am I interpreting this correctly? I don't think I am.

2. Likewise, I don't think I'm interpreting 5.35(d) correctly either. It states "A unit that attempts to cross a River boundary into a newly contested area triggers an opportunity for the opposing side to attempt to blow that bridge."

My interpretation is that in order for the opposing side to be able to attempt to blow the bridge, two units would have to enter the area on the same turn. The first unit would be entering an uncontested area, and would not trigger the rule. The second unit moving in would be entering "into a newly contested area," and would trigger the opportunity for the opposing side to attempt to blow the bridge.

Is this interpretation correct?

For ease of answering, let me provide a few more definitions from the rules:
1. Contested & Uncontested Areas: An area containing forces from both sides is said to be contested. An area containing no forces or forces of only one side is said to be uncontested.

2. Newly Contested Area: A newly contested area is an srea containing units of both sides, where the area was uncontested prior to the just completed movement phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see now that my question #1 was addressed in the FAQ that was just updated today.

Rule 5.35(c) should read "Only one unit may cross each river boundary (whether the bridge is blown or not) into an enemy occupied area each Movement Phase."

That clears that up.

So that still leaves my second question. In light of the change to the above rule, perhaps it is the intent of the rule 5.35(d) that the first unit that attempts to cross a river boundary and create a newly contested area triggers the opportunity for the opposing side to attempt to blow the bridge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Devon

I would agree with your second statement, in fact thats the way we played it

otherwise you get the

" Guys wait up, there are more tanks coming, dont blow the bridge yet!!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, if the area was not already contested from a previous combat round, each river crossed triggers a bridge demo attempt from the defender by the first (only) unit crossing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.