Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm not going to spell that out; it's approximately a bazillion.
What is the game-related significance of this number?

Joke answers from this thread and this one don't have to be repeated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang, mine only went to 12 digits. This'll take a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I was surprised how much biggerer this was. So, I'll give you a hint: there's more of something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The number of page hits I have made to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
The number of page hits I have made to BGG.

bingo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpf wrote:
The number of ways a chess game can play out?

Interesting, but I don't think that would be finite... is there a theoretical maximum number of turns a game of chess could take?

Of course, there is some probability that for some reason, the answer to that question is "yes", and that the number of chess games just happens to be the same number as the one I've given, but I think that probability is small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The number of GROGnads posts I'll have to read before I finally "get" him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Egan
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The number of bits that comes with Roads & Boats?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
molnar wrote:
generalpf wrote:

Interesting, but I don't think that would be finite... is there a theoretical maximum number of turns a game of chess could take?

There's a theoretical maximum to the number of positions in a game of chess. I suspect there's also a maximum for turns.

As for your behemoth number, I know it's divisible by 7,11,13,17,and 23. After that, I'm a bit lost. I know I can't take a square root, cube root, or 5th root, and Pascal's triangle only goes so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Howe
United States
Cromwell
Connecticut
flag msg tools
molnar wrote:
generalpf wrote:

Of course, there is some probability that for some reason, the answer to that question is "yes", and that the number of chess games just happens to be the same number as the one I've given, but I think that probability is small.

It is finite, but it is enormous. It is finite because of the rule that a game ends in a draw if 50 moves are made without a capture or a pawn move. Since there are a finite number of possible captures and a finite number of possible pawns moves, a game of chess must end in in a finite number of moves. One estimate I've heard is in the ballpark of 10^120 different possible chess games. That's more than a trillion trillion trillion times greater than the number of protons in the observable universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is divisible by every prime up to 23, and its only prime factors which are bigger than 23 are 352217 and 23261347 . This means this number doesn't simply involve a lot of things of the for (n choose k) since those would only have small prime factors. Perhaps several different (n choose k)'s are added together?

Coyotek4 wrote:
molnar wrote:
generalpf wrote:

There's a theoretical maximum to the number of positions in a game of chess. I suspect there's also a maximum for turns.

As for your behemoth number, I know it's divisible by 7,11,13,17,and 23. After that, I'm a bit lost. I know I can't take a square root, cube root, or 5th root, and Pascal's triangle only goes so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I note the number is divisible by 28! / (16! 10!) , so I think the game might involve 28 of something (although this could just be a coincidence designed to throw me off the trail! Anyway, I should do something reassembling work now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
well... okay... here's a thought...

There are 84 tiles in Carcassonne (including the river expansion)...

28 is a multiple of 84 (28 * 3 = 84). So...

Perhaps it is the number of possible combinations of the tiles in Carcassonne...

-DK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just gonna take a wild guess and say (seeing as it's my favourite game) that it's the number of possible board combinations for Twilight Imperium...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
delirimouse wrote:
I note the number is divisible by 28! / (16! 10!) , so I think the game might involve 28 of something (although this could just be a coincidence designed to throw me off the trail! Anyway, I should do something reassembling work now.

This is basically the route I took to solving Mike's Amun-Re puzzle. The other prime factors (which are enormous!) come about because well in fact something has to be subtracted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.