J. Alan Henning
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm revising some rules, and I found that I'm stuck for the right term.

Discard pile has a good definition at everything2.com: "A feature in many card games, the discard pile is a pile of cards which have been discarded. In some games, these may be out of play until the deck is exhausted, but other games may allow discarded cards to return to play." And with a 111,000 Google hits, it seems to be well understand.

Draw pile has 23,700 hits, but I couldn't find a pithy definition. I'd say: "A feature in many card games, the draw pile is a stack of cards, typically face down, from which a player selects one or more cards."

And that leads me to the selection thingamajig. It's that area in a game where you have a bunch of face-up cards to choose from, with the selection dwindling over time and being replenished in new rounds. Say, in Conquest of the Empire, the area where you have Conquest cards (twice as many as players) to choose from each round. Or, in Puerto Rico, the Role cards that you choose from.

The game I'm documenting has a draw pile and a discard pile and a selection thingamajig.

So, help me out -- is there a standard term I'm just not thinking of for this pool of cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Panethiere
United States
Kirkwood
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds somewhat like a "common pool" of cards...cards everyone can see and choose from.

You could always come up with your own term..."public draw pool/line" for example
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean garrity

winnipeg
manitoba
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
i always thought of them as "draw options."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't think of a standard term.

For puerto rico, I think it's just known as 'role selection'.

With cards, 'draft area' might be a good term. Other suggestions: line-up (police or otherwise), window display, used card lot (forgive the bad pun).

I want to say some games have a theme tie in for that area, like market, for cards that can be purchased. I'm drawing a blank for an example though. (Executioner's line for guilitine? Not quite what we're talking about...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Panethiere
United States
Kirkwood
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Found this...

Commerce group: There is a common pool of cards on the table, and at your turn you exchange one or more cards with the pool.

http://www.pagat.com/class/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In poker they're called community cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are they called in Ticket to Ride?

What are some other games with that mechanic--maybe their rules will provide us with a consensus answer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jay
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride and Railroad Tycoon just call them "face-up cards." That might not be as evocative a name as your would like...

Of the above suggestions, "draw pool" is my favorite, but you may be able to brainstorm for a better option yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at several games with this mechanic, TtR and St. Petersburg just call them card row(s). Solitaires often call cards available for play but not in the draw or discard stacks a "reserve". Thurn & Taxis calls it a "display", but this is a translation from German. I think the best solution is Cleopatra & the Society of Architects, which uses the thematic term "market" to describe the stacks of cards one can collect. (For instance, Ticket to Ride, using RR cars as cards, might use the term "rail yard"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Draw pool" or "Draft pool" sound like they're your best options. For example, "Draw 7 cards from the Draw Deck and place them face-up in a row, as shown in Figure X. These cards form the starting Draft Pool." If I was reading that, I would find it immediately obvious what to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Go for something thematic, perhaps. I've used Library and Pool to describe the matrix you're referring to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
sauronTHE PIT OF DESPAIR!sauron

laughthe bucket of puppieslaugh

Do you want it to be related to the theme (or is an an abstract)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Alan Henning
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone who chimed in -- very interesting comments.

metalchorus wrote:
Commerce group: There is a common pool of cards on the table, and at your turn you exchange one or more cards with the pool.http://www.pagat.com/class/

The draw pool I'm thinking of doesn't allow you to exchange cards with the pool -- just take them. The draw pool is then replenished after each round.

But thanks for pointing out that page - I knew of Pagat's, but missed that article -- a great resource!

MusedFable wrote:
In poker they're called community cards.

Not quite the same thing as a pool of cards, since you can't draw from them. A player removes a card from a pool, but you can't take a community card for your own.

kusinohki wrote:
Other suggestions: line-up (police or otherwise), window display, used card lot (forgive the bad pun).

*groan*

IngredientX wrote:
"Draw pool" or "Draft pool" sound like they're your best options.

Yes, I agree. I think I will use "draw pool" as the generic description but...

mr_lunch wrote:
Go for something thematic, perhaps. I've used Library and Pool to describe the matrix you're referring to.

cferejohn wrote:
Do you want it to be related to the theme (or is an an abstract)?

It's a war game. I think I will give it a thematic name and describe it as a "draw pool".

Thanks to all!

- Jeffrey
http://www.troypress.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.