Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
New Dia die Los Muertos. Lighter, sillier, and Stickers.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nifty 3D pieces don't actually exist...yet.

The first preview gives us enough information and sample tiles. The grass, water, and mud are a breeze to deal with.

Trees are hard. Trees should be 3D, being trees and such.

Problem is, miniatures can move through tree spaces. (This is confirmed thanks to a nice email from Kevin. Trees are navigable, but provide the Shadowcloak ability.)

With single hex creatures, this is still possible to work around. Either use stumps with flat surfaces on top, or place the tree in the corner of the space.

Multi-hex creatures kill both of those ideas.

Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have both a 3d tree and a tree "token" for each tree. When a character is in the tree space, you pick up the 3d tree and place the token under the hero/monster. When he/she moves, remove the token and place the 3d tree back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you build a Hirst board then maybe you could put the tree on a wire from either the middle of the square or in-between squares? Then maybe there would be room for pieces? I haven't looked close enough at the expansion to figure out trees. Maybe there needs to be a special floor-piece that is a very low stump or bushy bit that represents a tree?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hovannes suggestion is decent. And may be the only possible solution.

I was thinking about creating some bare wire trees that were about 3"-4" or so tall. The branching of the trees would be above the minis for the most part, and the small trunk could be attached to the corner of a tile. Multi-square monsters definitely kill that.

So it might have to be stumps...and moveable ones at that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Create a "hat" for the miniatures that has a tree crown on top!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. K.
Poland
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fbranham wrote:
Any suggestions?

Well, you can just try to use common sense. Small creatures can just pass through tree spaces, while large creatures are either blocked by trees, or can remove them entirely from the map by moving onto them. Realistic...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kahan
United States
Annandale
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet you can use the standard LEGO tree quite well for the 1x1 Descent tiles...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Nott
United States
Warrensburg
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
It seems like removeable trees are going to be the only way to go, if a monster more than 1 square wide can indeed stand on trees.

If trees are typically in a 2 x 2 block you'd need to have 4 removeable trees. Under that i'd put an image of the tree tops or perhaps have the heroes standing on stumps.

Having a hero fit under a tree if the trees trunk were on the corner of a square would work if the branches and foliage were above the heroes heads, but again if monsters larger than 1 square can move on to trees I don't see this as possible, simple because most of them are so large.

Of course, perhaps you wont be able to encounter any, or at least many of the really large monsters?

Alternatively you could simply make tokens of the larger monsters - and when they needed to move on to the trees (tree that heroes would normal fit under) you could simply put those tokens under the tree - of course this would take away some from the visual appeal.

But this is board game, and not a miniatures game where scaled terrain matters, so there is perhaps going to have to be some give and take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob "Bodhi" Wolff
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in favour of the removable trees idea, but reinforced with ground-covering which emphasizes the tree's presence.

You can standardize your tree "trunks", and embed straws or tubes in the ground at the center of the square. Flock the square with a darker green around the center, so that even without the tree it is obvious that there is a tree-shaped shadow of dark-green in that area. You know ... a dark-green tree-shape in amongst the light-green grass colours ... kinda like the regular cardstock maps!

Then, when you want the 3D effect, you slide trees into the tubes in the tree positions. The flock on the ground now looks like a shadow.

When you want to move figures there, remove the trees, but the alternative flocking still reminds you that there is a tree there -- at least as effectively as the cardstock maps would remind you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BodhiWolff wrote:
I'm in favour of the removable trees idea, but reinforced with ground-covering which emphasizes the tree's presence.

Then, when you want the 3D effect, you slide trees into the tubes in the tree positions. The flock on the ground now looks like a shadow.

Score! The only difference is that I'm going to put the hole in the corner of the square, and go for decent-height trees. I'm thinking something like a wire armature. That way MOST of the time, the trees can be in use.

The way I'm actually going to do tiles is not by flocking. I'm basing my set on 1/4" cork. I'm actually going to sculpt a grassy/rocky texture on tikes, and mold them.

The tree tiles will have a slightly different texture, and end up being 1/2" thick to help support the tree better. They will not be based on cork, but they line up well with the thinner cork-based tiles.

I'm doing the same thing with pits and water tiles on my current set ( I really need to post pics somewhere of my custom bits. I've got lava, water, pits, potions, runes, town portals, and mud.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J9
United States
Clinton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an awesome topic. I just got my cement and was about to buy the hirst molds. My husband is going to help me create the set. It will be the first time I've ever done anything like this, so I'm still learning the terminology, like I'm not sure what you mean by "flocking". Also, you should definitely post your pics to the geek, I would LOVE to see them,fbranham. Also, have you ever thought about selling them? If I don't like molding or am not very good at it, I might consider buying some pieces to compliment my game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Selling them myself would suck. I'll talk to the community mold folks and donate my molds to them.

For outdoor tiles, the fastest way to go about it might be to spend some money.

I'm thinking on going this route:

a Zuzzy Ruined Lands mat chopped up and mounted on 3/8" foamcore for the base terrain. I'm iffy on the whole foamcore thing, and might go for a thin wood to support the trees. I'm also iffy on basing this on a latex texture mat.

15 Woodlands Scenic dead trees ($1.25 per tree). These are cast metal and have pins at the bottom of the tree.

Hand sculpting mud and water elements into the tiles from Magic Sculpt and Envirotex Lite. There aren't really a lot of tiles, so it may be faster to go this route.

The only things I've yet to work out are:

1. Space borders. The Hirst Arts set does a great job of making pretty and usable space boundaries. I might end up adding some light lines to the outdoor boards.

2. Leaves. I'm going to use small piles of autumn / dead leaves to mark the tree spaces. Hasslefree has some scale brass leaves that would make this a breeze, but it might take forever to get them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.