Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Torbin_Bequette wrote:
Wizard's advantage of having a starting 7 Magic is hardly an advantage when you consider that you can't use it against most of the monsters you will encounter.
Hmm. I admit I've only played one game, 2P, but the Wizard ran absolute rings around the Dwarf in that one.

The starting stats:
7 3 3 Wizard / Fighter
7 4 2 Elf
6 5 3 Cleric / Dwarf

I see three characters have a max 7 Skill to start, and the other two have a 6.

In the random encounter stack, there are 7 enemies.
Magic: 3x0, 1x-1, 3 can't be attacked
Close: 4x0, 1x-1, 2x-2
Ranged:3x0, 2x-1, 2 can't be attacked

The two that start in the bag:
Shadows can only be attacked by Magic.
Red Knight is equal for any Skill.

Heroic Deeds... seven start with a skill check:
Magic: 2x0, 4x-1, 1 you can't use that skill
Close: 2x0, 2x-1, 1x-2, 2 you can't use that skill
Ranged:2x0, 1x-1, 1x-2, 3 you can't use that skill

vs Nameless:

Given any one strong Skill, half the Servants are easy, half the Guards are easy. The other half are specifically one of the other two skills at -1.

To have a solid chance against EVERY Nameless One, you need two well developed stats. Or you can wear the risk and attack with only one strong stat, which with Magic or Close Combat as your skill means two out of the six Nameless offer more problems for you than for other Skills.

Assuming you're going in with only one strong Skill, three characters start with a 7.

Assuming you're aiming for two strong Skills, Wizard and Fighter start with a 10 point total in the best two stats, while the other three start with 11.

Amongst the Nameless themselves, Magic and Close Combat each oppose two Nameless with penalty clauses against that Skill. Ranged Combat has only one such opponent.

As a newcomer to this game, any difference seems pretty marginal but I'm wondering if it isn't the Elf who gets the slight edge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I think one big problem with the dwarf is the slow movement. Takes him so long to get anywhere. We've been playing with world edge wraps to other side and +1 movement to help speed the game along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Movement 2 would only be acceptable if the ones with movement 4 was equally impaired in other traits… I could imagine that Movement 2 with 7 7 4 in combat would be equivalent to movement 4 with 4 4 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In that Dwarf vs Wizard game (session report here) the Dwarf bought a Horse early enough to mitigate his movement penalty. (The Cart never emerged at all.) I actually think the main reason the Dwarf was so obviously lagging for most of the game was that the Wizard repeatedly turned up / drew killable random encounters, while the Dwarf spent a long time turning up all Tasks, the Beggar, the Market and so forth... no quick experience points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that became clearer after a few plays is that many of the green chits require magic to get their benefit. So, the Wizard has the best opportunity to leverage these items early on.

After several games, my group feels the Cleric to have the best overall starting stats. Good magic (6?), 4 speed, and better melee than the Wizard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
jgrundy wrote:
In that Dwarf vs Wizard game (session report here) the Dwarf bought a Horse early enough to mitigate his movement penalty. (The Cart never emerged at all.) I actually think the main reason the Dwarf was so obviously lagging for most of the game was that the Wizard repeatedly turned up / drew killable random encounters, while the Dwarf spent a long time turning up all Tasks, the Beggar, the Market and so forth... no quick experience points.

So you drew the horse before the cart, eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.