Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Fletcher
United Kingdom
Heathfield
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I picked up a copy of this from Cavalier the other week and am keen to play but a little overwhelmed by the rule book.

does anyone know of anywhere that there is a rewritten version, or player guide?

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Do you know which version you have? There was the 1st/2nd edition, then a substantial revision with the 3rd/4th (4th is basically 3rd with some errata incorporated). Then there was Advanced Third Reich and then JP's Third Reich.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the computer version I put up for download and play through it. It will teach you a lot about the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Armstrong
United States
Bedford
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Check out the computer version I put up for download and play through it. It will teach you a lot about the game.

I am not seeing this, where is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Butler
United States
Hughesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game was developed before the idea of sequential learning came into popularity, so you are really smacked with needing to know all the rules up front to play.

To learn the basics of the game I'd suggest first go do a mythical repeat of WWI Western Front.

*Use only England, France, Germany & low countries.
*Remove the British & French units that are 'at start' in the Meditieranian Front from the game (represents units fighting the Turks).
*At the end of turn 1 Germany must remove 20 combat factors from from the board (represents the Eastern Front)
*Use only inf & naval units (not air or armor).

This scenario will teach you the basics of the game - sequence of play, BRPs, Combat charts, use of Offense option vs. attrition, and such, but it only requires about 25% of the rules found in the rulebook.

Next replay the same game but add in armor & air to see how that changes the balance (this game will be a lot different from the first).

Now you are ready to try the 1939 scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dunne
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jackal! wrote:

does anyone know of anywhere that there is a rewritten version, or player guide?

Avalon Hill did publish a booklet called "The Gamer's Guide to Third Reich", which can be picked up second-hand, and is very useful as a supplement to the rules, though I don't think it's really intended for beginners. It's also available as a PDF on the Net, I think -- I haven't posted my copy on this site, as I'm unsure about the copyright.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jackal! wrote:
I picked up a copy of this from Cavalier the other week and am keen to play but a little overwhelmed by the rule book.

It looks overwhelming but it is deceptive.

Although the rule-book is 36 pages long you really only have a close look at the first 10 pages which cover the basic mechanics of the game and the 4 pages which cover air and naval rules in detail to start playing.

When you start to play make sure that you just follow the sequence of play which is listed on the last page of the rules. It tells you when to do things and gives rule references to check.

More than half the rules are for the chrome - things that don't happen all the way through the game and just pop-up from time to time and in certain situations. You don't need to know or understand these rules to start playing the game. The special rules you can pick up later when you are comfortable with the basic mechanics of the game.

I hope that this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Strode

Missouri
msg tools
I have only been able to play it on a Windows 95 or 98 machine, which
I keep for that purpose. Have you been able to get it to play on XP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vstrode wrote:
I have only been able to play it on a Windows 95 or 98 machine, which
I keep for that purpose. Have you been able to get it to play on XP?

I have been able to. Right click on the .exe and go to "compatibility." You can mess with the parameters to get it to run in XP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.