Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Smith
United States
Duncan
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group had a question as to what happened to any Special Tiles that are not claimed during the course of a round.

At first, we followed the rules as best as I could interpret them where they stated (approximately):"Empty spaces created by claimed Special Tiles are not refilled until the next round." I interpreted this to mean that any unclaimed tiles would remain on the board and that you just refilled the empty spaces at the start of the next round.

However, last night my group suggested that it should be that all unclaimed Special Tiles were discarded at the end of the round and replaced with four fresh ones at the start of the next. I can see where this could have some merit as I noticed that when unclaimed tiles stayed on the board between rounds, we didn't seem to go through many. Also, it seems odd that we should have 25 Special Tiles available and you may never see more than six or seven in the course of the game...

Anyone have an clarification on exactly how this rule is suppose to work?

Scooter (JKN)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
we clear them all at the end of the round. Otherwise, it could really effect how people play the main part of the game when selecting a tile. I think there would be considerably less of buying the most expensive tile to get a bonus tile if the tiles rarely changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Scootergsp wrote:
My group had a question as to what happened to any Special Tiles that are not claimed during the course of a round.

At first, we followed the rules as best as I could interpret them where they stated (approximately):"Empty spaces created by claimed Special Tiles are not refilled until the next round." I interpreted this to mean that any unclaimed tiles would remain on the board and that you just refilled the empty spaces at the start of the next round.

However, last night my group suggested that it should be that all unclaimed Special Tiles were discarded at the end of the round and replaced with four fresh ones at the start of the next. I can see where this could have some merit as I noticed that when unclaimed tiles stayed on the board between rounds, we didn't seem to go through many. Also, it seems odd that we should have 25 Special Tiles available and you may never see more than six or seven in the course of the game...

Anyone have an clarification on exactly how this rule is suppose to work?

Scooter (JKN)

Hmmm .... interesting one.

I just looked at the German rules, which basically says the same thing:

(approximately) "There will never be more than four special tiles each round. The empty fields are only filled at the start of the following round."

We always also interpreted this to mean "replace the ones that were taken, leave the rest"

I think that way, you can never be sure that the tile you desperately need will come out, whereas the other way, it stands a lot more chance!

They had to include enough tiles for a clean sweep each round, otherwise there would be a game at sometime where the tiles ran out, and we'd all grumble about that!

Plus .... I think the rules would say "sweep the tiles and deal four new ones" at some point in the rules if they wanteed us to do it that way.

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Treacherous Cretin
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how I play it, only those tiles taken are replaced at the end of the round. If the players are too stingy or broke to buy expensive "veeples" and gain a special tile then the reward is that the tiles move very slowly. If this is the case the whole game selection will be poorer as well, making the prediction of whether any particular tile will turn up even more difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Carter
Australia
wollongong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i've all ways played fill empty spots.but i don't know which 1 is right.1 game i played the 3rd turn all boats were out.the other two boats both me & the other player had.it kinder wrecked the game.last game i played i cleared the spots and filled again.i liked it better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. I've always cleared them all each round, so that we end up going through 24 of the 25. The wording used here:

Quote:
Before the start player auction begins, the start player draws 4 tiles from these two stacks and places them face up on the four spaces provided.

says to me that that you're drawing 4 new ones each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.