Subject: An American Revolution wargame as easy to learn as M44? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
My son and I were playing Memoir '44 the other day. Since he's currently studying the American Revolution, he was wondering if there was a wargame covering this period with the same learning curve or weight as M44. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clash for a Continent: Battles of the American Revolution and French & Indian War is the game you want. It uses the same board as memoir, but it uses dice to determine the number of units that can activate during a turn. Units can either move or battle, not both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
Paint your M44 figures red and blue. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a slight step up but if you want to enter real wargame territory then GMTs Battles of the American Revolution series is both simple and enjoyable.

There are five games in this series at the moment:
Saratoga
Brandywine
Guilford
Savannah (This is slightly more complex than the others in the series in my understanding)
Monmouth

There is also Columbias block game Liberty: The American Revolution 1775-83 which is quite simple (slightly more complex than Hammer of the Scots).

Incidentally I don't really recommend Clash for a Continent: Battles of the American Revolution and French & Indian War. I found it to be quite dull and lacking in historical accuracy or flavour. It is a lot like Memoir '44 though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Klemme
United States
Northford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I second the recommendation for Clash for a Continent. It's as easy to learn as Memoir '44, and as easy as any Revolutionary War game out there. The blocks (with soldiers on stickers) are also more interesting to kids than cardboard chits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Hayter

Metuchen
New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sonja wrote:
Or make up your own scenarios for Battle Cry!

I second that idea. All you really need are some 1/72 plastic soldiers (a box costs $5-10) and a description of a historical battle. If the scenario you make up doesn't play that well, tweak it and try again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You also might see if you could find a copy of Skirmish on ebay. Very simple to learn, and a surprisingly good treatment of the entire war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
Clash for a Continent: Battles of the American Revolution and French & Indian War is the game you want. It uses the same board as memoir, but it uses dice to determine the number of units that can activate during a turn. Units can either move or battle, not both.

Definitely. Clash is a great game that is easy to learn and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Luta
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the strategic scope, there is the classic AH game 1776, which I imagine ought to be widely available, the game was in print for many years. Though the system it uses was much improved for War and Peace, which is a better game (though the overall campaign in 1776 plays better), the difficulties in the war faced by both sides are well dealt with. Supplies are a chronic problem. The combat resolution is simple, but does give some insight to the tactics of the period. The British face the historic choice of trying to win quickly with major battles in New England, or follow a safer strategy of securing the South where they have more support, and rolling north--the whole question of how actively to defend Canada remains a consideration for either strategy. The question of how best to utilize the Indian units is important. And then the Continental forces have to be deployed properly to react to what the British do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions! There are a number of good games to consider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:

Seconded. This game is very similar to Memoir and no more complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Although very hard to get, We the People, is, at its core, an easy to game to learn. There are not a lot of rules to it at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fix
United States
Sterling Hts
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cscottk wrote:
Although very hard to get, We the People, is, at its core, an easy to game to learn. There are not a lot of rules to it at all.

I would second that. We the People is not that much more difficult on a learning curve than Memoir '44. Problem is finding a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll echo recommendations for Clash for a Continent, Skirmish, and We the People.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.