Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A question that's come up through differences in interpretation of Sharing Knowledge...

If it's my turn & we want me to receive a particular card from someone else for a cure - can I still receive this on my turn by spending an action? Or can that person only give me the card on his turn???

It's just that the rules says 'transfer between one player to another...' and it's been queried whether the direction of the card being transferred is irrelevant or not.

Thanks,

Matt...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It can happen either direction on your turn, but you may not demand it if the other player doesn't want to give you a card. Presumably, the cooperative nature of the game would suggest that the players involved would agree that the action was worth doing or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
It can happen either direction on your turn, but you may not demand it if the other player doesn't want to give you a card. Presumably, the cooperative nature of the game would suggest that the players involved would agree that the action was worth doing or not.

Thanks for clarifying, Jim - that's what I thought... note I did say "If it's my turn & WE want me to receive a particular card..." just didn't want to state the obvious!

Thanks,

Matt...

PS - what are you doing up at this time? Must be 4am or 5am in Maine?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
North Wales
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR! (Or ask me about it)
badge
Her Serenity, The Lady of Pain.
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:

Yep. That is right. I didn't realize this during my first game, but after seeing as it was the determining factor if I would win or not (needed 1 card to research and find the last cure and was down to 1 card in the deck left) I managed to look up the rule and find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I played this wrong as well. Action 3 in the example at the end of the book clearly shows Brian taking a card from someone on his turn. In case anyone had trouble finding it in the rules....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly worth noting also ...

You must be involved in the trade somehow.

In other words, if you're the Dispatcher, you can move people into the same city, but you can't then trigger a trade between them on your own turn - You have to wait for either of them to do it.

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... I think we might have played this wrong as well. I remember trying to meet up in a city for information sharing, and then thinking that I'd need to wait for the other player to give me a card, thus wasting a turn sitting in that city. Thanks for posting this question Matt, and thanks to those who answered it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clloyd09 wrote:
Hmm... I think we might have played this wrong as well. I remember trying to meet up in a city for information sharing, and then thinking that I'd need to wait for the other player to give me a card, thus wasting a turn sitting in that city. Thanks for posting this question Matt, and thanks to those who answered it.

Not a problem, Courtney ! I was pretty certain I thought about the rule for this correctly (meaning you would've been playing wrong) but since the wording of the rule could potentially appear ambiguous, I had to ask!

Cracking game - when I'm not in the mood for co-op Arkham, this'll do nicely!

Matt...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:
PS - what are you doing up at this time? Must be 4am or 5am in Maine?!

I'm a night owl. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another Share Knowledge question. If you share knowledge with someone who already has 7 cards, can they hold 8 cards until they are required to discard in their next turn? Or are they required to discard one immediately?

I've been playing that they can hold more than 7 until they are required to discard down to 7 on their turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mkrajew wrote:
Another Share Knowledge question. If you share knowledge with someone who already has 7 cards, can they hold 8 cards until they are required to discard in their next turn? Or are they required to discard one immediately?

I've been playing that they can hold more than 7 until they are required to discard down to 7 on their turn.

Sorry, never mind. I found it in the rules now that you ARE required to discard down to 7 if you get more cards immediately. We played that wrong in our first game last night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Watkins
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:
A question that's come up through differences in interpretation of Sharing Knowledge...

If it's my turn & we want me to receive a particular card from someone else for a cure - can I still receive this on my turn by spending an action? Or can that person only give me the card on his turn???

It's just that the rules says 'transfer between one player to another...' and it's been queried whether the direction of the card being transferred is irrelevant or not.

Thanks,

Matt...

It does matter for the Researcher as they trade any card in any city, but can only receive a card if they are in that city.

Our group had been using the Researcher wrong for the first four games ... we played that the Researcher could trade any card (give & receive) but only on the Researcher's turn. Made it fairly easy to pass cards to each other and importantly pass cards to the Scientist.
Now that we're playing by the rules it's major bottleneck trying to get enough cards to people to make a cure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Researcher's power is in effect during other players turns as well. Someone at the Researcher's position can spend their action to receive cards from the Researcher regardless of where. I'm not disagreeing with you, just elaborating :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a very important detail. One that we missed on our first few plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.