Popular Tags: [View All]
mojo shivers
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We were winding down three games of losing as the Operations Expert and the Dispatcher on Normal. Tired of losing, we decided to redraw roles and hopefully make the last game of the night at least competitive. We drew the Medic and the Operations Expert, not the best pairing, but at least with the Medic we stood a fighting chance. We seeded the deck with five Epidemics and drew our starting cards.

Hmmm. Very lucky draw. We both received two blues in the opening four cards. What's more, I had my blues in Atlanta and Chicago, both within steps of one another.

On the setup for the infections we were somewhat lucky. We had 3 cubes on Toronto and San Francisco, both in walking distance from Atlanta. With the Medic in play, it was a no-brainer for the Operations Expert to stick around to drop Atlanta and Chicago to the Medic while he was clearing North America of blue.

After the sharing information had taken place, we moved the Operations Expert over to Europe without use of a card since the black cities were all close to the blue border. During this time we had a small 2 cube cities in South America and Africa, but we decided to forego them for now to concentrate on the blue in North America and the black in the Middle East.

By turn five we had cured blue and were both in Europe to handle what seemed like a endless torrent of black. By turn six or seven blue was eradicated, but black was still giving us trouble.

Red, however, was a different story as only red city was seeded in the opening and that was only with one red cube. After that only one more red city was drawn in the Play the Infector phase and it was a city right next to the original city. By turn nine we were able to take care of both cities. We sent the Operations Expert to red, seeing as he had already gotten his hand on five red cards, as well as the ability to drop a research station on one of the two cities. It was a tense moment as we had to wait through his Play the Infector phase (2 blues (whew!), 1 yellow in Africa) on turn nine and the Medic's Play the Infector phase on turn ten (1 more blue, and 2 blacks... where the Medic was hanging around anyway).

No reds! That meant that on the Operation Expert's next turn all he had to do was drop a cure for action one. Voila! Instant eradication on turn ten without having to mop up any stray reds.

Not having to worry about blue or red now, we took the gamble of both using One Quiet Night and Resilient Population to make sure black didn't get out of hand before we could effect the cure in that area. Through careful planning and the fact red was so close to the black area, we had the operations expert take care of the weaker side on the east (3 one or 2 cube cities) while the Medic kept clearing the same three cities that had been giving us trouble all along. By the time turn eighteen or so came around, we finally had the cure for black. Again, by keeping both players in the area, when we did drop the cure it was an instantaneous eradication.

I think that was our best move, because we had 3 epidemics that never cause an outbreak. Of course, it helped that only one was able to leave cubes at all, which was the first one. The second epidemic pulled a blue when we had that eradicated and the third epidemic pulled a black when we had that eradicated.

That only left yellow, which we had ignored for so long that it had been the source of 2 outbreaks and left three cities in Africa with three cubes and one city in South America with three cubes. We sent the Medic immediately to the most central of the Africa cities as one outbreak there would immediately cause two more. We airlifted the Operations Expert to South America to handle things from that side of the map. Again, the plan was to meet in the middle.

By the time we were able to get the cure for Yellow we had one more outbreak, but everything seemed under control... which is really an easy thing to do when three out of the four colors had no effect on the board. We could have cured the disease four turns before we ran out of player cards, but we made a conscious choice to say screw it and go for TOTAL ERADICATION. We had four cities, two in Africa and two in South America, all with one or two cubes left.

Any way we played it we were going to win. The question was if we could wipe out the last four cities without yellow turning up in a city we couldn't get to.

With four turns to go and one epidemic still unopened, this is how it played out.

T-minus 4 turn--OPERATIONS EXPERT

Action One - Operations Expert moves once to a city in South America with two cubes.
Action Two and Three - He removes both cubes
Action Four - moves to next city with one cube on it

Infector phase - blue, blue, red (no change)

T-Minus 3 turn--MEDIC

Action One - Clears two cube city he's in
Action Two - Moves to next two cube city
Action Three - Clears two cube city
Action Four - Moves to last city with two cubes on it

Infector phase - red, black, red

T-Minus 2 turn--OPERATIONS EXPERT

Action One - Clears one cube from city he's in
Action Two and Three - moves to city Medic is on and the last city with a yellow cube on it.
Action Four - Drop a research station on the city so in case a yellow does come up all he has to do is get back and cure.

But...
Operations Expert draws an Epidemic as one of the last two cards in the Player Deck. The Epidemic pulls a blue city so there's no effect there.

But...

Infector phase - red, YELLOW!!!, red

T-Minus 1 turn--MEDIC (No cards left in the player deck)

Luckily, even with the reshuffle, the yellow city turns out to be one space away from the city the Medic is on so the last four actions of our perfect game play out like this...

Action One - Move to adjacent city
Action Two - Treat adjacent for one cube
Action Three - Move back to the original city with the research station on it.
Action Four - Cure yellow which, with Medic's ability, automatically clears the yellow on the city itself equaling

TOTAL ERADICATION OF ALL DISEASES ANYWHERE!

Again, we could have won the game with four turns to go, but I think this ending was much more satisfying. I highly doubt this will happen again anytime soon as blue was almost perfectly set up to be cured quickly. Also, the fact red only drew two cities in the first seven or eight turns is highly unlikely to happen again.

After two diseases were eradicated, it was kind of easy to go from there, especially with most of black's countries being right on top of where Yellow was hitting hardest. It made an easy trip to start treating yellow with no wasted turns trying to get down to Africa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Good report.

I was wondering if this was possible, but - like you say - I think it needs a very rare combination of roles, starting cards and luck of the draw!

Quote:
By turn five we had cured blue and were both in Europe to handle what seemed like a endless torrent of black.

Being picky now, but Europe is entirely blue on the board **

The black cubes all appear in Africa and Asia.

** Apart from Istanbul, which is actually a city in two continents - one side of the river in Europe, and the other side in Asia.

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moviebuffs wrote:

Quote:
By turn five we had cured blue and were both in Europe to handle what seemed like a endless torrent of black.

Perhaps he's just worded it badly? Could be he meant the players/pawns were physically in Europe & ready to go into the Black cities to combat the Black Disease?

Or a bizarre spate of Outbreaks in the blue-bordering Black cities?

Matt...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mojo shivers
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I meant Africa, though I still get confused on the Pandemic board where Europe stops and Africa begins. Geography has never been the best of subjects for me.

At any rate, the situation I describe was I was handling black coming in from Asia and my cousin was staying entirely in Africa, I guess, to continually get a handle on black almost the entire first half of the game. On one hand, I thought we were going to lose because black cities were continually popping up left and right, but once we had two eradications it became easier. Since we knew it was going to be 75% black for the next few turns after the second or third epidemic, we just stayed in the area till we got the one or two blacks to get the cure and ultimately eradicate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mojo shivers
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moviebuffs wrote:
Good report.

I was wondering if this was possible, but - like you say - I think it needs a very rare combination of roles, starting cards and luck of the draw!

Quote:

** Apart from Istanbul, which is actually a city in two continents - one side of the river in Europe, and the other side in Asia.

N.

I think it also had to do with the arrangement in which we eradicated too. We eradicated blue first where you begin so we didn't waste time traveling half of the map. Then, by getting rid of red next, we had all cubes pretty much contained in the center of the map with a few cities in South America. We barely had to fly clear across the map. I think as the Operations Expert I flew once to get the red cities and then once to South America. My cousin, as the Medic, flew once as soon as we got rid of blue to get to black quickly. From there he kept doing laps to continually get a handle on black. Then he just walked down into Africa. At most, it was probably three or four flights total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice. In 5 games we have yet to eradicate even a single disease.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mojo shivers
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a rule, I try not to eradicate unless it's one city or two cities away. After that, it's foolish to go after the eradicate when the board's still filling up elsewhere.

The only reason we tried it this time was because we happened to cure red and black with no cubes on the board.

After that, we said what the hell and went after yellow to eradicate even though we could have won the game four turns sooner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.