Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Pour Away,Mein Host
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was reading through the new Valley Games rules and came across a slight difference relating to Mustering. Section 18.1 of the Valley reprint simply states that a legion is eligible to muster after moving in a movement phase.
However, the Avalon Hill rules more specifically state that the legion must end the movement phase in a new land. There are a couple of spaces on the board that you can move from, and return to on the same move, with a roll of 6. Would this constitute ending in a new land even though you ended right back where you started?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
The Valley Games interpretation is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
TonyJF wrote:
I was reading through the new Valley Games rules and came across a slight difference relating to Mustering. Section 18.1 of the Valley reprint simply states that a legion is eligible to muster after moving in a movement phase.
However, the Avalon Hill rules more specifically state that the legion must end the movement phase in a new land. There are a couple of spaces on the board that you can move from, and return to on the same move, with a roll of 6. Would this constitute ending in a new land even though you ended right back where you started?

I've always played you can circle in those Swamp and Desert regions and muster - it's a valid tactic, sit 3 trolls and wait for 6's to eventually get a Hydra.

Rule 18.1 (old rules) states Legions which don't move, are not defending in Battle, or presently contain seven characters cannot muster so implication is if you move (even ending up in the same land) you can muster as long as you have the required creature(s) and are not 7 high. Otherwise 18.1 should say something like "Legions which do not end their move in a different land ..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilmann Choe
Germany
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't remember the words in the rulebook exactly, but it has always been permitted for a legion to muster in the same space where it started - coming back to the starting space and mustering is OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
bucklen_uk wrote:

I've always played you can circle in those Swamp and Desert regions and muster - it's a valid tactic, sit 3 trolls and wait for 6's to eventually get a Hydra.

Nickmamed "The spin cycle".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Pour Away,Mein Host
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. I've always played that way too. Keep rolling them 6's!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that "spin cycle" (thanks for the term, Ben) helps balance the Hydras against the Serpents and Colossi, since it makes them easier to get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The original rules also say that at 400+ points a titan gets the power of "Titan Tele potation," which I suppose means the power to drink at a distance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Curtis Anderson wrote:
The original rules also say that at 400+ points a titan gets the power of "Titan Tele potation," which I suppose means the power to drink at a distance.

Titan Teleportation is one of the great rules/mechanics of Titan. Not only does it significantly speed up the game. It adds alot of alternate strategies to the game which otherwise wouldn't be there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
BFoy wrote:
Curtis Anderson wrote:

Titan Teleportation is one of the great rules/mechanics of Titan. Not only does it significantly speed up the game. It adds alot of alternate strategies to the game which otherwise wouldn't be there.

Ben, you need to check the spelling in the quote again.
Curtus, is that typo in the AH rules? I checked a couple of places and didn't see it. If it is, can you point out its location?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Washburn

Arizona
msg tools
mb
brunowolff wrote:
BFoy wrote:
Curtis Anderson wrote:

Ben, you need to check the spelling in the quote again.
Curtus, is that typo in the AH rules? I checked a couple of places and didn't see it. If it is, can you point out its location?

It is a typo, in the AH version, not the original (Gorgonstar) version. Sec 19.2.

Speaking of the original rules, they do seem to be a bit clearer than the AH rules regarding the op's question on mustering after moving. They state "Any of the Mover's Legions that were moved in the preceding Movement Phase and have survived the intervening Engagement Phase is eligible to muster a Creature during the Mover's Enlistment Phase". They don't make reference to ending its move in a new land.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominick Riesland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
The new rules are correct. We refer to those fun moves as "Sit & Spin".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.