Sheridan Hortness
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Omaha Beach
2 March 2008

Whenever my dad is in town I take advantage of the oppurtunity to get in a bit of light war gaming. Memoir 44 and BattleCry are the usual supsects, and since I was in a WWII mood I brought out Memoir. Dad requested that we play a beach landing scenario to start off, and after being disspaointed to learn that Juno beach is not in the scenario list he selected Omaha. It looked interesting with all the obstacles on the beach.

As usual my dad decided to take the Germans. As allied commander I surveyed the board and quickly decided that it would be best to try and advance up the left side of the board. The German forces were weaker there. However, I didn't have any cards for the left flank at the start so instead I tried a couple of probes on the right. This didn't amount to much, but it allowed me to refreash my cards a bit. Dad spent the early turns moving troops from the back of the board up to the ridge for extra defensive fire power.

By round 4 I had some cards for the centre and left flanks so I began my advance. I sent my armour left to try and break through the gap in the ridge. Unfortunately, dad seemed to have an endless supply of center flank cards so my tanks were subjected to a few rounds of grueling fire as they slowly worked their way up. I managed to catch an infantry unit in the open (not protected by a bunker or town) when I finally got up the ridge, however, I made the tactical blunder of moving right up beside them to attack. I should have stayed two hexes away and taken advantage of my long range fire. My mistake gave dad an easy counter attack when I failed to knock out the unit.

My goal was to try and get two armoured units to the top of the board and then start taking towns. However, due to my errors and the endless fire from the bunkers I ended up with only one, badly damaged armoured unit that limped in to capture one town. There was also some skimishing on the right that saw us swap a couple of infantry units. At mid game we were tied at 3 victory points each, but I had taken much higher casualties and was facing the unpleasant prospect of having to advance my infantry against the bunkers. I decided to focus on the left flank, and managed to take out an infantry, but then lost a unit to a couple of rounds of fire from his guns.

I thought that I had gained the advantage when I pulled an airpower card and noticed that he had three infantry units clustered. However, he quickly moved one away and I was forced to settle for an air raid on two infantry units. One unit was knocked out, and the other took one hit. I then decided to start attacking on the right flank in hopes of getting my two kills quickly. I was hoping against hope that dad would not have the cards to stop me. However, thinks went sour right off the bat when he played an ambush card against my Rangers. They took two hits and only delivered one hit back. On his turn dad then managed to knock the Rangers out. I then lost another unit whne he was able to play a counter attack agaisnt one of my Assault cards. I finally managed to knock out on my next turn to tie the game at 5 victory points each, however, a nicely played Move Out card allowed dad to bring sustained fire against one of my infantry units and take it out for the win.

My analysis is that Omaha is a tough scenario for the allied player. Its hard to get up that ridge, and the German troops are all well dug in. I was too agressive with my armour early on, and did not do a good job of utilizing their ability to attack at range. Next time I play this scenario I will take some time and organize my advance properly before rushing ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob D
United States
Largo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For future reference you can get a Juno Beach scenario, along with many others on the Memoir 44 page at daysofwonder.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheridan Hortness
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks guys. I have not yet downloaded any scenarios on-line, but I should do so soon. I think dad would enjoy playing some Canadian battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.