Subject: Monopoly - 2nd game - [session report] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same coffee bar again with same friend. We decided to give Monopoly another go since the place didn't offer a huge variety of games. Another 2p game at that.

This time, I won. I got 3 of the railroads. Later on I got the complete set by trading for it. It was one of the yellow properties to allow her to complete that set. This alone isn't enough to prove my "strategy of the railroads" tactic, but it's still something I pursue. She landed on my railroad spots twice, giving me $200 per pop. I was lucky and never landed on those yellow properties.

There was more trading this time as well. Rather than deal with incorrect sets, we traded on 2 other occassions to complete each others' sets. Houses are certainly expensive in this game. I put it on 3 seperate color groups, building one color group up to 4 houses and the rest of that color group to 3 and the rest, one or 2 houses. It felt powerful to be at that stage in the game, even though my opponent had 3 colors worth of houses on her properties. In the end, I didn't get my returns back on that investment. She only landed on 2 of my properties with only one house twice. Given all the $$ i put in for the houses, I overspent, but at least I still got a return on those houses.

We both landed on quite a few Chances and Community Chests. Given the wide range of cards that give and take away $$, she came out slightly ahead in this regard. She also got a "get out of jail free" card which was put to good use.

Again, the house rule where all $$ paid to the bank such as Luxury Tax (which we also paid the flat amount rather than counting the $$ on hand and adding up ALL of the property values) goes in the center of the board instead of going to the bank was in play. Ironically enough, she won the pot both times

Again, in the end, it wasn't too bad. But it made me realize that if we were to do this game again, it would have to be with more than 2 players. With just 2p, the game gets absolutely too linear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.