United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever read the book Hitchhikers Guide to Galaxy? If you have you will recognize the title of this post and understand why I felt I was suddenly Arthur Dent this morning.

Talk about a weird way to wake up. I woke up early this morning to the sound of chainsaws going down the street. I didn't think much of it because you hear that from time to time and it is getting close to spring so I figured someone was doing some pruning. An hour or so goes by and soon the dog starts going bonkers and it hits me that the chainsaws are now pretty close....in fact they were in my yard!!!

I look out my front window and there are 3 young guys with chains saws wreaking havoc in my front yard. Two are destroying my front bushes and the third is in my tree taking limbs off. So I quickly get my sweats on and run outside in my bare feet to find out who the hell these guys are. I get the guy out of the tree and he tells me he's from the homeowners association and that they are removing my bushes and cutting down my tree. In fact they were planning on basically clearing every living thing. I told them to get off my yard now!

The guy then proceeds to start threatening me. He starts telling me that I have no say so in the matter and if I don't let them cut my tree down and all my bushes that the homeowners association was going to put a lien on my home! I won't repeat the language I used at that point but I will say I used words my mother didn't teach me. I told them in short to get off my property immediately or I was going to call the police after I stuck his chainsaw up his....well you get the idea.

They went back to their truck and I went back inside after looking at the mess that is now my front yard. I was in my house no more than 5 minutes and I hear the chainsaws again but this time they're across the street. They're cutting down the tree and destroying the bushes in the front yard of my neighbor who is not home! I called the police.

Took the police a good 45 minutes to show up and unfortunately in 45 minutes 3 guys with chainsaws can do a lot of damage and they did. They cut my neighbors tree down to about 5 feet left of the trunk and they pretty much cut out their bushes completely. I don't think they are going to be very happy when they get home from work.

So the police come and finally stop the neighborhood destruction. Turns out these morons thought they had been hired by the neighborhood homeowners association. They hadn't. We have this guy in our neighborhood who thinks it's job to be neighborhood hall monitor. He tried last year to get elected President of the homeowners association but he didn't because he's a nut. Seems that last month he went to the meeting with a list of 8 homes he felt had to much foliage in their front yards. He wanted them to be forced to remove it. He was told to take a walk. So he takes it upon himself to do it anyway and hires this rinky dink company (Basically three dim witted guys and a truck) to come in and completely take out all of the foliage in front of all the houses on his list during the day when he thought everyone would be gone at work. He told them he was president of the association and if anyone argued with them to tell them they would be fined by the association and a lien placed on their home to collect the fine if they didn't cooperate. Fortunately I have a home office so I was home or heaven knows how much damage the three stooges would have done.

Unfortunately the damage has been done. Besides the damage they did to my front yard before I stopped them (I will need to hire someone to fix my bushes which look like Stevie Wonder tried to prune them) and the complete destruction of my across the street neighbor's yard, it seems they wiped out everything but the grass on a house down the street including two trees. The gardeners Larry, Darryl and Darryl meanwhile were cited for operating without a proper business license and trespassing. The police said they were going to go talk to Captain Cupcake aka the guy who hired them and likely he was going to be cited as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I have visited Kansas, the phrase "there is way too much foliage here" has never, ever crossed my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian, I hate being the one to tell you this but it wasn't your neighbor. These plans have been on file for some time. Feel free to check for yourself. Beware of the leopard.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Are you suing?! That's one of the most horrible stories I've ever heard.

Can you sue for that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Look at it from Captain Cupcake's side. Having neighbours with front yards that aren't to your fancy must be awful. Constantly having to think about front yards that belong to other people. No wonder he's upset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually Overland Park and the Kansas City area in general is pretty heavy in the tree department. One of the things I've liked about this area are all the trees. It's rather beautiful here, especially in the fall.

My neighbors across the street just got home and the wife is in tears over what they did. The yard is now a pile of tree limbs which they will have to pay to have hauled off and yes they're contacting a lawyer. We left a note on the door of the house down the street where the two trees were cut down for them to call us so we can tell them what happened and get on the same page. It just boggles the mind that this person thought that they could simply destroy the yards of 8 houses (thank goodness I was home and the damage was limited to just 3) and that it never entered the minds of these three idiots that something was wrong. I mean I just can't fathom how stupid these guys were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a horrible story. I hope Captain Cupcake gets the works. Good Trees take YEARS to replace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Monday mornings, I'm dedicated to the proposition that All Men are created jerks.
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Keep us up to date. I do hope the nutjob is forced to pay not just for clean up, but replacement as well.

2. Post pics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When calling 911 always use the phrase "I'm getting my gun & heading outside."

The cops will be there within 3 minutes. They love seeing a shooting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CameronL wrote:
1. Keep us up to date. I do hope the nutjob is forced to pay not just for clean up, but replacement as well.

For myself I'm fortunate that it'll be mostly clean up except for some fixing of my bushes. We have the actual gardeners from the home owners association outside now (Nice gents) ready to haul away the remnants of my neighbor's tree and the rest of the branches away. The homeowners association here pays for this company to do all the lawns in the area (I love not having to mow the yard). The guy says he's going to fix my bushes for me before he goes as best he can but it'll take spring and some growth to make them look good again. He's just going to charge us the fee he'll pay for taking the remnants to the dump so financially it's not a big deal for me and at least my tree is still standing minus a couple of lower branches.

It still boggles my mind that someone actually stood on my front porch and threatened that I was going to have a lien put on my home if I didn't let him cut down my tree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:

They also love bacon (Who doesn't?) so if you say "I'm frying the bacon now and will be serving it soon" they'll be there in no time. Heck, the whole precinct, neighbours, relatives, everyone will be there.

Afterall, it's bacon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CameronL wrote:
It still boggles my mind that someone actually stood on my front porch and threatened that I was going to have a lien put on my home if I didn't let him cut down my tree.

Nothing a good kick in the nuts won't solve.

And from what I've read, those three guys and captain cupcake sure are in dire need of one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Man...that's horrible. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I am not a lawyer, but you and your neighbors should have a suit in tort for destruction of property.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bizarre. I hate these types of neighbors. We have a few who show up at HOA meetings and complain about everything all the time, but at least they don't do anything about it. I'm really sorry to hear about this. Hopefully this guy is the one who has to pay for this to be restored. Gee I wonder which house the "kids" will egg on Halloween?devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's rough, man. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm probably in the minority, but this kind of thing is why I detest HOA's overall. Granted, in this specific case, the HOA wasn't even involved (and in fact seems quite the opposite from what the three idiots with the truck would have you believe). My problem with HOAs is that too many times, they make decisions for how homeowners should live, without the homeowner's input.

I'm glad in your case, it wasn't the HOA at all, but it's scary to think that in theory it COULD have been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:

I'm glad in your case, it wasn't the HOA at all, but it's scary to think that in theory it COULD have been.

Well, in THEORY it could have been the Nazis/Republicans/Democrats/Oil Companies/Eurosnoots/Alien Invaders.

But it wasn't. It was just some stupid @$$holes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian, what a nightmare. It really was lucky that you were there to stop it.

I can only imagine how devastating it must have been for your neighbours, getting home to find their yard ruined. I hope that somehow their trees will be replaced (with mature trees!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
He's just going to charge us the fee he'll pay for taking the remnants to the dump so ....

I'm glad you are satisfied with the HOA's actual contractor, but as for the fee, in my unprofessional view, that would be an expense for Captain Cupcake.

I would also be damn sure the police keep in touch with the HOA so that Captain Cupcake doesn't sell out of the neighborhood and skip town before the time to pay for all this damage comes due.

But I'm also the person who walks out my front door with the .357 on his hip to talk to the nice men with chainsaws. Your friends may get me in a rush, but not before I turn your head into a canoe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tsar Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:

Not a good idea. Yes, they would get there faster, but they wouldn't be happy. It is just like 9-1-1, every time somebody calls for a non-emergency, an emergency has to wait.

You have two remedies: civil and criminal. Definetely should sue the AH. I'm interested in the criminal; you said they dudes were cited; that is probably correct; misdemeanor vandalism and tresspassing. But I think criminal conspiracy; which is a felony in most states would apply as well. The fact he conspired with others makes this more serious. They can probably charge the hackers with conspiracy too, but they would never get convicted of it, but they would probably plead guilty to the misdemeanors in exchange for testimony against AH, and dropping the conspiracy. He needs a little civil lesson.

As for getting that done; you need the District Attorney, or your equivalent to step up. The squeeky wheel gets the oil. Your neighbors have to make some noise; to city council, District Attorney, newspapers?, etc. to make sure they charge him with conspiracy.

Good luck in whatever you decide is best for you and your family, and sorry about your trees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
So are there any trees in his yard you can go cut down?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
So are there any trees in his yard you can go cut down?

Fuck that. Get lawyer, a judge, and have a lien put on his house immediately. He threatened you with it and conspired with others to destroy virtually irreplaceable living things that were on your property. It shouldn't take much sympathy from a judge to get this fucker tied up financially until you have fully-grown trees transplanted at his expense into your yard.

I'm not a Kansas lawyer but I play one on the internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go to the media. If possible, *before* your yard is cleaned up.

Local media is best here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We need to see it here
http://www.kccommunitynews.com/overland_park_sun/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.