United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed the nice graph showing the 24 included aircraft:

...is decently comprehensive for several major conflicts post-WW2 (I see obvious candidates for Korean War, Vietnam War, early- and late- Cold War, as well as the recent Iraq and Balkan Wars)

Nothing really 'cutting edge' modern, though (by that I'm looking at F-22 Raptors, Eurofighter Typhoons, F-35 Lightning IIs, F/A-18E Superhornets, JAS-39, Rafale, etc)

Or, alternatively (given that probably next-to-nothing is known about the performance characteristics of these ), adding other theaters and older designs? Wouldn't mind seeing Me-262s, Shooting Stars, Glostor Meteors, and MiG-9s added. Maybe Harriers, Skyhawks, and Super Étendards.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Lund
Denmark
Århus
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes, Beware the Geek bringing gifts!
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I recall from the 7+ years I have been following the yahoo development group, the Hypermoderns should be in the works (or else Philip Markgraf will o doubt correct me )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Mueller
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh yes. The idea is that BoP will be a long-running series with lots of expansion modules covering the whole gamut of jet air combat. What Phil refers to informally as the "Ultramoderns" expansion is, I think, almost certain to be one of the first expansions out of the gate, and that will include the F-22, F-35, Rafale, Typhoon, Gripen, Su-35, Mirage 2000-5, F-16E (Block 60), Super Hornet, F-15I/K/S, etc. (The idea with the initial box was to focus on a range aircraft that have actually seen air-to-air combat, though a few of the planes haven't.) Other expansions will cover Korea, Vietnam, the Middle East, the Falklands, various eras of the Cold War, and so on.

(Ad Astra is serious about supporting this series for the long haul, so the only way you won't be seeing those planes is if the initial game completely flops in the preorder process.)

The very first expansion product of all looks like it's going to be a "mini-folio" that will include some additional data cards for aircraft that already have box minis in the initial boxed game (e.g. the F-4F, the MiG-21bis, the Lightning F.2A, etc.) plus a special sheet of non-diecut minis with an assortment of aggressor-scheme F-5Es and A-4s (and an A-4F Super Fox data card), and a B-52D ADC with an oversized B-52 box mini.

Eventually, there should be BoP ADCs and box minis for pretty much every significant jet-powered combat aircraft--which not only means a lot of types, but a lot of variants as well--the system is so good at capturing relatively small differences between aircraft, that representing all the single-seat F-16 models will take, let's see, at least ten aircraft data cards (and Lockheed has just offered an even newer model to India)

Will the WW2 jets appear in the game? I hope they will at some point, since they are a notable part of the jet story, and I know a lot of people would like to see them. Flying them would be a real challenge since they were so low-powered, but I think it would still make for an interesting game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Markgraf
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
I noticed the nice graph showing the 24 included aircraft: ...is decently comprehensive for several major conflicts post-WW2 (I see obvious candidates for Korean War, Vietnam War, early- and late- Cold War, as well as the recent Iraq and Balkan Wars)

Nothing really 'cutting edge' modern, though (by that I'm looking at F-22 Raptors, Eurofighter Typhoons, F-35 Lightning IIs, F/A-18E Superhornets, JAS-39, Rafale, etc)

We did some product survey work to help us determine the mix of aircraft for this and for follow-on products. This is how we came to the "grab-bag of eras" mix of aircraft. (The spreadsheet with all this data may still be up in the Airbattle Yahoogroup's file area). Ultramodern aircraft received the highest level of interest for a follow-on product. Since it would be following the main product by a fairly short period, we decided to limit the main game box to roughly Desert Storm (and Ethiopia v Eritrea).

The full span of kit from the 1995 forward might take three full folio products; there are a LOT of upgrade programs, in addition to the new aircraft. My current concept is to class them as:

1) Types appropriate to Europe and India (Raptor, Typhoon, Rafale, Gripen, etc)
Includes rules for super-maneuver and the wild things you can do with thrust-vectoring.
2) Types for war in the Pacific (F-2, J-10, Su-30MKK, the Taiwanese Mir2k-5; plus the Lighting II variants)
3) Upgrades of 1995 and later...

XanderF wrote:
Or, alternatively (given that probably next-to-nothing is known about the performance characteristics of these ), adding other theaters and older designs? Wouldn't mind seeing Me-262s, Shooting Stars, Glostor Meteors, and MiG-9s added. Maybe Harriers, Skyhawks, and Super Étendards.

As Karl states, there are plans to flesh out the whole range of combat jets. We will probably re-survey the community about there desires for forthcoming products, since the production release may bring out a different set of people than the playtest crew. At the moment, we aren't committing to any order of release for follow-on products. But we have used previous inputs to direct our art-efforts, which need to lead product release by a fair amount. (Six views of every aircraft in the product... take a while to create).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.