Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any design contests that allow open entries? Do games need to be in prototype form, or would something self-published be allowed?

I'm curious because I have an idea I may want to enter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Boardgame desing contests
They have contests here on a fairly regular basis, but they're usually themed in one way or another.

http://www.bgdf.com/tiki-custom_home.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
They have contests here on a fairly regular basis, but they're usually themed in one way or another.

http://www.bgdf.com/tiki-custom_home.php

BGDF Game Design Showdown

The BGDF holds a monthly "Game Design Showdown" (aka "GDS") and it's always a lot of fun. However, it's not the kind of contest I think Steve is looking for. The GDS is a shoot-from-the-hip affair, where the moderator posts a challenge consisting (usually) of a theme and a few constraints -- required mechanics, or required bits, or playing time, stuff like that. Contestants then have one week to knock together a shortish game outline and submit it. Entries are posted anonymously for a week of review and voting, then winners are announced and everybody gets to critique all the entries.

There are no prizes (except for two weeks of bragging rights, until the next GDS begins). Entries have to conform to the challenge specs, and it's considered bad form to submit an old design even if it meets the specs. So I'm guessing this isn't what Steve wants -- although I'd encourage him and anyone else to come around and join in!

KublaCon Design Contest

There'll be a KublaCon in San Francisco over Memorial Day Weekend. Steve, it's at the wrong end of the continent for you, I guess, but if you could make it I bet you'd enjoy yourself. They hold a design contest more like what you're probably after. The contest is open only to "amateur" designers, by which they mean "unpublished". I don't know what their policy would be on "self-published" but you could probably write and ask. They like to have the prototypes mailed in a few weeks ahead of time so that they can get an early start on playtesting, although much of the playtesting happens during the con itself. The winner doesn't get anything much, but the playtesters are professionals and there is at least a chance that they will recommend your game to a real publisher if they like it enough.

KublaCon's website is a nightmare to navigate (and is still saying "2007"), but you can click here and then scroll down to find the link to the Game Design Contest page:
KublaCon Special Events

Hippodice

Hippodice holds a yearly design contest. "The Competition is open to all kinds of ready - to - play prototypes. An experienced committee will select a winner. Only thoroughly testet and selected games will be recommended to the major game publishing companies."
http://www.bgdf.com/tiki-index.php?page=Hippodice

Hope this all helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Psst. Steve. You better hope spelling doesn't count in the desing contest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Paul. I'm a moron. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.