Subject: Some questions on rules for Blokus Trigon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
disclaimer.... I haven't played any games yet. One of my few, "own but haven't played games". For me, board games tend to fall into "own it and played someone else's copy". Like to hear from vets and those more exeperienced in Blokus Trigon though.

Why is it the smallest piece placed last the one that gets you the bonus 5 pts? Shouldn't it be one of the 6 unit pieces? I was thinking towards the end of the game, space 'll be tight and it would be more difficult to squeeze in one of those instead of the 1-piece. Sure, you wanna use up your 6's ASAP since they count towards penalty in score if they're still around and unable to be placed, but you keep moving until you run out of moves, so there doesn't appear to be any threat of not being able to finish off your hand, save unless other players played strategically and blocked you from doing so. There oughtta ALWAYS be a place left to put the 1-piece triangle down.

For the 5pt bonus, do they mean "last" as in the last of all your tiles (in other words, the 22nd tile since they're 22 tiles in the game) or last as in your very last move (if you only placed 5 tiles, your 5th tile being the 1-piece counts towards this 5pt bonus)?

If you place all of your pieces down, why even bother with a 15pt bonus? Everyone who's able to lose all their pieces will be tied. What's the difference between having scores of -3 to 0 vs -3 to 15? I can understand if a group plays multiple rounds and their scores carry over to following rounds. The +15 furthers the gap for other players to catch up.

can you get the 5pt bonus but NOT the 15pt bonus? Or is getting the 15pt bonus (using all of your pieces) a requirement for the 5pt bonus?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Roberts
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
ackmondual wrote:
Why is it the smallest piece placed last the one that gets you the bonus 5 pts?

A common strategy in this game and in Classic is to use the one unit piece to bridge into a hard to reach area in order to place other pieces. The 5pt bonus rewards elegant gameplay that use this strategy.

Quote:
For the 5pt bonus, do they mean "last" as in the last of all your tiles (in other words, the 22nd tile since they're 22 tiles in the game) or last as in your very last move (if you only placed 5 tiles, your 5th tile being the 1-piece counts towards this 5pt bonus)?

The 5pt bonus is only awarded if you use ALL of your tiles and the one unit piece is the last used.

Quote:
If you place all of your pieces down, why even bother with a 15pt bonus?

I don't know. My friends and I don't bother with multi-round scoring so we just say that you get a point for ever tile segment you can't play, whoever has the least points wins, and placing the one unit piece last trumps. I guess the rational you give sounds reasonable.

Quote:
can you get the 5pt bonus but NOT the 15pt bonus?

Nope. You have to use the one unit piece as your last of 22 plays, so you get the 15pts by default when you get the 5pts.

As a reply to your disclaimer; this game works well even with non-regular gamers, so my copy normally gets pulled out at family gatherings and the such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the reply!!

Pulled this out at my last game night. It would appear people became enamored with it right off the bat. I suppose it helped that I put it on the main table as opposed to my other games that were on the floor. Basari was next to it on the table, but we went to Blokus Trigon when it was mentioned that would take 20 to 30 min to play, but probably 15min alone to explain the rules. People even hovered around as the game was in progress and towards finishing as the mosiac-like patterns and the blending colors really do look pretty.

In fact, this game got played twice that evening, even with all the other games we played, so this was definately worth the purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Sandén
Sweden
flag msg tools
Quote:
If you place all of your pieces down, why even bother with a 15pt bonus? Everyone who's able to lose all their pieces will be tied. What's the difference between having scores of -3 to 0 vs -3 to 15? I can understand if a group plays multiple rounds and their scores carry over to following rounds. The +15 furthers the gap for other players to catch up.

I think this is to incite players in a multi-round session to obstruct the leader of the round. Some sabotage moves could otherwise cost a player more points than it would cost the victim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Koch
United States
California
flag msg tools
in standard blokus the fifteen point bonus for playing all of the pieces is exactly equal to the value of three maximum sized (five segment) pieces, and the special five point bonus for playing single last is equal to one such piece

seems to me that the bonuses should be EIGHTEEN and SIX when playing trigon since the largest piece is six segments?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.