Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Questions and answers culled from the "Ask the Designer Thread"

Quote:
As for the Game: Can you list the strengths and weaknesses of each nationality? I would assume that they each have unique abilities which can be exploited in battle and particular difficulties which must be overcome or avoided.

Jeff Horger's Answer:

I have opinions on all, but after it comes out I would like to see what everyone else thinks.

French
Strengths: All-around good side. Exceptional leaders, high combat values and excellent mobility. Makes an excellent handicap device for a new player taking on a more experienced one.
Weaknesses: Not many. No volley cards and a vanilla set of support cards makes the French good but very straight forward.

British
Strengths: Another solid side. More good leaders and exceptional defenders. A great side to have an even-up match for the French. Also another good side to use as a handicap device by allowing the less experienced player to have the Brits.
Weaknesses: The Dutch-Belgians. Other than than, the British are pretty strong though not quite as strong as the French.

Austrian
Strengths: The two cavlary units are very strong. The Austrians have some good volley cards and some nice tricks for denying opposition actions.
Weaknesses: The lack of artillery, not every Austrian unit has an artillery card. The leadership is woeful. Can tend to crumble under intensive attacks.

Prussian
Strengths: Excellent volley cards. More quality cavalry. Above average leaders.
Weaknesses: The infantry, it is all-around bad.

Russian
Strengths: The Russians have a lot of leaders and most of them are quite good. The Russian units also have good staying power in that their reduced side is almost as strong as their full-strength side.
Weaknesses: The full-strength side is often not very high to begin with.

Spanish
Strengths: Defense. The Spanish are built to defend and deny victory to an opponent. Their pieces have high defense values and they can build many fortifications.
Weaknesses: The cavalry is bad. Not many units have enough combat values to treaten elimination of an enemy unit.

Ottoman
Strengths: Half of the army is cavalry, so speed is key with the Turks. The two Janissary units are as tough as any unit in the game.
Weaknesses: The Feudal units are very weak and loose almost all strength when reduced. Half of the cavalry is militia and has very weak attack value. Other than the Janissaries, most units have bad defensive values.

Americans
Strengths: Good leaders, tricky cards that force opponents to watch the whole board during play. Units have an inherent ability to withdraw from combats.
Weaknesses: No units are very potent by themselves.

Edit: To indicate the answer is Jeff's, not mine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the writeup! i look forward to exploring the differences myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=[Ran Over]=-
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
I just assumed the relative army strengths were the reverse of the tie-breaker order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Horger
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rgmnetid wrote:
I just assumed the relative army strengths were the reverse of the tie-breaker order.

That's not 100% true. It's more of a difficulty factor. The French are easy to play, you walk up to something and kill it. Sort of terminator-like. As you go down the tie-breaker list, the armies don't just get weaker in exactly that order. The further down you go, the more game-knowledge is needed to play that side at it's best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
The HQ Card Manifest (for each nationality, on the Reference Sheet) is a helpful tool to see the army strengths/weaknesses at a glance, too, at least in terms of these special cards. I'm glad this was included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Horger
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Specialty card matrix
You have to thank Andy and the guys at GMT for that. It was a nice add that I didn't think of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! This was a little aid sheet I really wanted so I could brief new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.