Lost Cities» Forums » Sessions

Subject: The Dueling Scientists rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Crystal
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We were two scientists eager to explore the world. In good fun, we decided to see who could plan and execute the best expeditions – winner was the one who had the best returns after the expeditions were over.

After the first round of expeditions, we looked at who had gained back their initial investments. I would have to say in all honesty, that my investments had returned handsomely. After totaling all the different expeditions, I came back with a return of 63 – but I got a bonus of 20 for doing so well at using the resources that I had on one of my expeditions so total I had a return of 83.

Determined not to be outdone by me, my fellow scientist called for another round of expeditions; after all, you cannot discover everything after just one expedition. There was so much left to discover, and this time he was not going to be beaten.

The next expedition did not go as well for me; it was hard to decide which expeditions to begin and which to pass up. I ended up being more conservative this time and I only started three expeditions, and I finished all but one. Unfortunately I had taken on some extra help to start it, so it cost me more in the end. I still did not do too badly, and after we had totaled the successes of the expeditions, I had a return of 24 – not nearly as good. My fellow scientist had a return of 49 – much better than the last one. He was not satisfied as he had not obtained more on both of his expeditions than I had on both of mine. In fact there was a difference of 38 – favoring me.

So he challenged me yet again, the gap was narrowing and he wanted to do better. “This time,” said he, “I will focus on fewer and not spread my resources as I did last time!” We shook hands and departed to plan and execute marvelous expeditions of scientific discovery. I decided to send out three research teams to begin with not knowing if I would be able to support them through the end. Unfortunately, at the end, my research teams in two places came up short because I hastily sent them out. The good thing was that the loses I took were very minimal to the discoveries that were made. The one that I expended the most time and resources into returned handsomely. All told, I had a return of 54, which was not as good as my fellow scientist’s return of 71.

After adding all of the returns of our expeditions, however, I still made the best profit. I had made a total return of 161 and he had done very well also, however yielding only 140.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.