Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very tempted by this one, but I can't really engage in weekend-long wargames at the moment.
And this one sounded rather long-ish... until I saw the "90 minutes" play time in its entry here on the Geek.
Is this for real?
('Cause if it is, I'm one happy trooper!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
That play time is for some of the smaller scenarios, not the full campaign game. If you haven't already, take a look at this list of scenarios that was posted here as a cross-post from CSW.

The first three scenarios are listed at 90~120 minutes.
The next five are listed at varying hours of length from 3 to 12.
The full campaign game is listed at 60 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot, Richard!
Man, this one's got me thinking...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure, but just a warning, these could be in Adam Starkweather time, evidently he plays very quickly. In an interview i heard with him, he feels A Victory lost is a 3-4 hour game, I remember a few other games he talked about and they all seemed to play much quicker than what most people play at. Still though I can't imagine a 90 minute game being much over 3 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ibn_ul_khattab wrote:
I'm not sure, but just a warning, these could be in Adam Starkweather time, evidently he plays very quickly. In an interview i heard with him, he feels A Victory lost is a 3-4 hour game, I remember a few other games he talked about and they all seemed to play much quicker than what most people play at. Still though I can't imagine a 90 minute game being much over 3 hours.

Thanks for the warning, Colin.
I guess I'll wait for some folks to actually get and play the game before I make my decision. Also, reading up on what Richard linked to, I'm wondering how much fun and actual action can be had in a 90-minute game if all you get are four turns.
Obviously I know nothing of the rules at the moment. I tried to see if they were online, but I can't seem to find a link to the game on MMP's site!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weller
United States
Edina
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to talk on CSW, MMP and the game's designer and developer are holding back for the time being on publishing TDC's rules online. From what I can gather, they may eventually publish living rules online once the game has been in players' hands for a while.

And, as for finding the link to the game on MMP's website, it's the company's standard practice to take a game "down" off its website while they are shipping the preorders. Once the preorders have been shipped out, MMP will post the game back up on its website for the general public to place regular orders. Just be patient and it should be up soon . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"I'm wondering how much fun and actual action can be had in a 90-minute game if all you get are four turns. "

Hi there

in those 4 turns you could activate a unit up to 12 times!

4 times with a division activation

If a Division Activation Chit (DivAct on the chit) is drawn:
all Units belonging to
that Division become Active and may
perform a limited number of non–combat
Actions

4 times with a formation activation

If a Formation Activation Chit is drawn:
All Units belonging to the Formation
that was drawn become Active and
may perform Actions.

and 4 times with a direct command

If a Direct Command Chit is drawn
The owning player may spend Command
Points to move and fight with his
In Command Units

( there are other parts to the rules for the parts I posted, but yo get the general idea)

however you would need a lot of command points, and have to be lucky with your chit draws, but its quite possible and entirely plausible that it could happen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
weishaupt wrote:
Also, reading up on what Richard linked to, I'm wondering how much fun and actual action can be had in a 90-minute game if all you get are four turns.

To add to Robert's comments - I added a second copy of the game to my pre-order after playing the PnP scenario Little Omaha that was available for a little while. And that one was only 2 turns at that time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Richardson
United States
Staten Island
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just to add my 2 cents to this, for the smaller scenarios, expect about 15 minutes per turn (if you know the rules well, double that or more if you use these scenarios to learn the rules), 30 minutes per turn for the intermediate scenarios, and about 45 minutes for the advanced scenarios. The campaign game runs about 1 hour per turn on average, though some are much shorter than others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all of you, guys, this is most informative!
And Robert, thank you, this gives me a better idea of what the game feels like. Reading the scenarios' description made it sound like "this is over after FOUR turns??"
Now this sounds really interesting. I should have pre-ordered the bugger!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No sweat

if you ever out east look me up and we can have a game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Blanchett
United States
St Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I can't seem to find a link to the game on MMP's site!

The game has it's own website which is always available...

dfwfront.net/dc

Just got mine yesterday, so it will be a little while till I can comment... cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
Thanks to all of you, guys, this is most informative!
And Robert, thank you, this gives me a better idea of what the game feels like. Reading the scenarios' description made it sound like "this is over after FOUR turns??"
Now this sounds really interesting. I should have pre-ordered the bugger!

http://www.dfwfront.com/dc/devils_cauldron_replay_scen_1.pdf

For an example of play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Alpert
United States
Boynton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools

http://www.dfwfront.com/dc/devils_cauldron_replay_scen_1.pdf

This a broken link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Blanchett
United States
St Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan, that replay was outdated and has been removed from the site. Hopefully a newer updated one will be available soon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Richardson
United States
Staten Island
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As soon as we get the VASSAL module finished, we'll create a new run through of the Race to the Bridge scenario. The old version was significantly out of date, and while the core mechanics were correct, there were enough errors to potentially make it confusing to new player.

Also the artwork was very out of date, using maps and counters that have been significantly upgraded in the past few years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I took this vassal shot a while back
has the game changed much since then Nick?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Richardson
United States
Staten Island
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That looks like the final art. The artwork in the scenario run through was much older, before Niko went to work on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW!

even thought I read the AAR about 20 times, I still didnt clue in to how much work Niko did on the maps and graphics

it looks a lot like a different game altogether

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Niko made both maps - the first one was the prototype map for TDC.

He has progressed in his art for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nrichard wrote:
As soon as we get the VASSAL module finished, we'll create a new run through of the Race to the Bridge scenario. The old version was significantly out of date, and while the core mechanics were correct, there were enough errors to potentially make it confusing to new player.

Also the artwork was very out of date, using maps and counters that have been significantly upgraded in the past few years.

I knew the specifics were out of date. I was just hoping to illustrate how many different things could happen in a single turn. Ah well, sorry for the confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont think there was any confusion on my end Ryan

I just wanted to show off a screenie I took

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam we still want to know if you measure game time differently than the rest of the world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.