Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So is everyone surprised that Hillary now wants to count Florida and Michigan delegates?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
nextinline wrote:
No. On the other hand is everyone surprised that Florida and Michigan want to be counted?

Give a couple of days and Obama will promise all Michiganders and Floridians a healthy dollop of change and hope if they just keep their mouths shut and let sleeping dogs lie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
nextinline wrote:
No. On the other hand is everyone surprised that Florida and Michigan want to be counted?

No, and they should punish their respective state committee members that broke the DNC rules and put them in the position they've found themselves in.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the one hand the Hillary supporters are wanting to count Michigan and Florida, thereby changing the rules that were agreed to before the primaries started.

On the other hand, you have Obama supporters saying that the superdelegates shouldn't vote the way they want to and should just reflect the results of the elected delegate count. This effectively changes the victory conditions from 2025 delegates needed to win to whoever has a plurality of delegates elected in primaries and caucuses wins.

Both sides want to change the rules from what was set out before the primary season to whatever will get their candidate the nomination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
nextinline wrote:

No, and they should punish their respective state committee members that broke the DNC rules and put them in the position they've found themselves in.

-MMM

While I am all in favor of punishng politicians at every opportunity, who actually decides when the primaries take place?

Since we in MIchigan have a mostly open primary (this year, we had to choose before receiving a ballot), if the Republicans wanted to have it in Feb and the Dems didn't, who decides?

This obviously also screws up the concept of a revote that has been thrown out because the Republicans are counting half of the delegates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
Octavian wrote:
they should punish their respective state committee members that broke the DNC rules and put them in the position they've found themselves in.

I agree. A proper punishment would have been to strip the super-delegates, not the pledged delegates as well.

I am in Florida. I assure you I had NO chance to vote on when we hold primaries. It was determined by the legislature, which is full of... superdelegates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
"How are the democrats going to blame this one on Bush?" He said with a huge grin on his face.

"I don't know," she replied, "the only thing I know for sure is that they will."

Koldy, honestly, get over it. shake

I am a Michigander and a staunch Democrat. It pisses me off what the legislature did but done is done. Rules are rules. They either should not be counted - OR - they should figure out a redo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Michigan can never win, can we? Just think how important our primary would have been this year if we had held it at the right time and it actually counted! sTuPid people!

I hope the DNC holds firm and doesn't count our delegates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
nextinline wrote:
Did you hear that Florida MIGHT have a primary now? How would you feel about that?

Since they are closed, it doesn't effect me, but it seems more just then counting the psuedo-primary votes.

Sadly some damage has already been done with a controversial local property tax limit passing at the same time as the primaries, probably in part because of the higher republican turn out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe we should go back to the "good old days." Just let the elected delegates party, while the superdelegates determine the nominee, then the delegates can party again.

I really thought after the Dems blew the gimme election in 2004 that they might learn something. However, it seems that the "big tent" is doomed to collapse again. At least McCain appears to be some improvement over Bush in many areas.

I really wish that this whole some states being more important than others in the primary season would go away. If politicians really see the need for "retail politics," then set up a rotation with two to four primary dates. States would take turns with which date they get. This dragging out over five months helps no one, but the ad agencies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thought struck me. If the national committess do decide to "punish" states for not following their preferred, I can see state legislators using that to their advantage by scheduling dates that will cause the elected delegates to be discounted. I can see all kinds of scenarios where this could prove useful to existing power structures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Allow states to move their primaries!?!?!? But what about all the political capital vested in Iowa farmers' subsidies, corn-based ethanol, and other politically expedient government actions?!?!?! Where's the folksy momentum in that!?!

If we just let states move their primaries around willy nilly, we'll have to adjust our moronic subsidies and kowtowing every election year, or even (*gasp*) do what's best for the entire country! Do you know how much of a pain in the ass that would be?!

More evidence of the stupidity that is letting the two parties control the country's entire political process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm considers caucus to nominate Clinton or Obama

zee latest from ye olde ruste belte
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Michigan: trying to matter since 1837.

Whole darn thing is turning into a circus. I'll let you decide who the clowns are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyones vote should count, no matter how retarded their governing body is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's most likely looking like a revote: Michigan may have a caucus, Florida a primary.
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/181871.php

To me, it's still most likely that the nomination will be settled before this becomes a major issue--not because Obama can win outright in pledged delegates (much less can Clinton at this point), but because even the Democratic party, with its fondness for self-immolation, won't let this drag on till midsummer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh goody, I get to pay for another election/caucus! gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Frederick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Revote or not counting are the only ways to handle it. It would be absurd to count Michigan's previous vote since only one person was on the ballot.

The DNC has offered to help pay for the revotes. I think it's extremely likely, as it's probably the only thing that can be done to keep the party from splitting (which would knock Dem-A and Dem-B candidates out for a long time while the whole thing reorganizes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tsar Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I would prefer we get rid of the entire primary system. Have everyone vote in a June election with all the candidates (mulitiple in each party if that be the case) and then have a run off in Novemeber with the top two; just like many local elections are run. That would take away some of the power of the people running the two big parties; but I wouldn't mind that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfrederick wrote:
Revote or not counting are the only ways to handle it. It would be absurd to count Michigan's previous vote since only one person was on the ballot.

The DNC has offered to help pay for the revotes. I think it's extremely likely, as it's probably the only thing that can be done to keep the party from splitting (which would knock Dem-A and Dem-B candidates out for a long time while the whole thing reorganizes).

Actually Dean specifically said no national Dem money would be comng to Michigan or Florida. FOrtunately, our Dem governor is on record as saying the taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for another elaction process.

It will be interesting watching the Dems melt down again.

Hope McCain picks a good VP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
Hope McCain picks a good VP.

Hillary's available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamburg
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nextinline wrote:
This history presents a problem for all the guys (of all ages, races, and prejudices) who expect women to step out of the way so they can keep their buzz going.

My issue with Hillary is only indirectly related to her gender. Because she is female, she can be married to Bill. And the thought of Bill in the White House again in any capacity greatly bothers me. I was almost over it, then he started opening his mouth in SC and I decided that I was done with the Clintons. I voted for Bill both times before and agree with a lot of what he did, but I think it's time for someone not named Clinton or Bush. I feel bad holding that against Hillary, but that's the way I see it. If Hillary does emerge as the nominee, I'll almost certainly vote for her, but I'll do it reluctantly.

I'd be happy to support a female candidate and hope that another emerges in the next election cycle. There are quite a few women in the Senate and serving as governors right now, so we ought to see one or more serious female candidates in the next few years. When one emerges, if I otherwise agree with her, I'll be glad to vote for her.

Back to the topic- this can't end well for the Democrats. An Obama win in Pennsylvania might put it to rest, but otherwise it looks bad. No matter what is decided, someone will think it's unfair. And they'll be right. McCain's got to be loving this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
The stated rules, that both the states and the candidates agreed to, is that primaries before a certain date would not count. I think that everyone's vote should count, including voters who took the candidates and the DNC at their word, and withheld their votes on those days, in the same way some people withhold their opinion from pollsters. The only fair way to count people's votes in Michigan and Florida would be to hold new elections or caucuses that voters know will count at the time of the elections or caucuses. Changing the rules and counting votes that voters were told would be meaningless seems more unfair to the voters (and certainly to the people who would vote in any meaningful election, and not in any opinion poll) than not counting them at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
The stated rules, that both the states and the candidates agreed to, is that primaries before a certain date would not count. I think that everyone's vote should count, including voters who took the candidates and the DNC at their word, and withheld their votes on those days, in the same way some people withhold their opinion from pollsters. The only fair way to count people's votes in Michigan and Florida would be to hold new elections or caucuses that voters know will count at the time of the elections or caucuses. Changing the rules and counting votes that voters were told would be meaningless seems more unfair to the voters (and certainly to the people who would vote in any meaningful election, and not in any opinion poll) than not counting them at all.

The rules that candidates agreed to also said that 2025 delegates were needed for the nomination. The delegate pool is to be comprised of delegates selected in primaries and caucuses who are to reflect those results AND "superdelegates" that are free to vote for the candidate of their choice, with no automatic requirements attached to their votes.

To say now that the candidate who has the most delegates among the former pool heading into the convention, while short of the 2025, should then be entitled to the votes of the "superdelegates" is also an attempt to change the rules.

Complaining now that the 2025 is not the real number to get the nomination and that what should only count is the number of delegates collected during the primaries and caucuses is disingenuous. If it was so vital for "the voice of the people" to be the deciding factor then where were the complaints before it became obvious that the "voice of the people" wouldn't add up to 2025 for you?

It just makes me think that if their positions were reversed both Clinton and Obama would be making the exactly opposite arguments than they are making now. They are both seeking to change the rules to benefit themselves and would do it however they would need to depending on the situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Frederick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
mfrederick wrote:

Actually Dean specifically said no national Dem money would be comng to Michigan or Florida.

Actually, in an NPR interview four days ago Dean specifically and clearly said the DNC had offered money. I even heard him say it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.