admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Web site:
Quote:
Very Important Message concerning Time Well Spent Games (posted on 3/5/08):

On Wednesday, March 19th (or somewhere close to this date), Time Well Spent will start a 4-6 week hiatus. We are going to shut down the website down during this time. There is the possibility that the site will be open for viewing, but there will be no sales available. After this period is over, we will again be open for sales.

Several things will be occurring while we are not open.
1) We will be exploring other career options for our family.
2) We will catch up on things at Time Well Spent and at home.
3) We will be entertaining offers to buy the company Time Well Spent, Inc.:

a. If we find we want to pursue other career options, we will for some undetermined period continue to try and sell the business, but keep the store open. If no reasonable offers appear available, we will close down.

b. If we decide not to pursue other career options, we will most likely continue to operate Time Well Spent Games, unless we have an offer we can’t turn down.

Thank you for your understanding through this possible transition. If you are seriously interested in purchasing the company Time Well Spent Inc., please contact us.

Personally, I will be very sorry to see it go, if it does. Dave has worked very hard for many years on TimeWellSpent.org and has always provided outstanding service.

They also have one of the largest selections of Haba and Childrens games.

EDIT: Let me make it perfectly clear that TimeWellSpent.org IS currently open AND shipping games ordered. Dave is an amazing guy, and any current orders and future orders will be filled. His system will shut off orders when intended, so continue to order with confidence. Keep an eye on his web site for updated information. This is just a place to discuss the possible change.

I don't want this thread to be misinterpreted and cause a decline in business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope this is more about re-prioritizing than any financial hardships or anything like that. I ordered from them a time or two and was quite happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squeeker
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!
cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
very sad to see They are by far my favorite bg supplier

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I certainly wish Dave well in discerning whether to keep the business open or not. I have always had stellar service from them and check with TWS first when I am considering an order. Here's hoping that he decides that this is his calling. I know that I will not be the only one who will miss them if he doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't they just recently hire an employee?

I hope they continue. I've always thought that they were excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Detwiler
United States
Lehigh Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are also my favorite supplier. It would be a shame to see them go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ketty
Chile
Santiago
RM
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have bought there and they are very, very kind. A really sad news.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haverty
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite online supplier, too. Great service from great folks!

Best of luck in deciding their future course of action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

TWS has always provided stellar price, selection, and service.

I hope they stick around, but wish them the absolute best of luck in whatever they decide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Bob
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my top 3 online retailers gone? say it ain't so cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kozlowski
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I, uh, guess I had a lot of geekgold?
mbmbmbmbmb
elcomadreja2 wrote:
One of my top 3 online retailers gone? say it ain't so cry

My guess is that there aren't really enough hardcore gamers out there for each of them to have three favorite online retailers. TWS has been one of my top two, though, so yeah, pity if it happens that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely my favorite online store. I selfishly hope they stay open, but hope they do what's financially best for their family. Good wishes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I certainly wish them well in whatever they do. If they close down, I for one will miss them. They always provided excellent service and often had some stuff that was hard to come by elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very sorry to see this come up. I had the pleasure of interviewing Dave about six months ago for the "Ascent and Dissent of the Friendly Online Game Store" series and he is a terrific guy that runs a wonderful store. Here's hoping that we don't lose TWS.

...Sheylon
www.boardgamebabylon.com

EDIT: Here's the link if you'd like to hear from Dave himself: http://media.libsyn.com/media/boardgamebabylon/bgb_v47.mp3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stetler
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes me feel a twinge of guilt or two for not giving them more business. TWS is on my short list of online retailers to buy from, problem has usually been when I've decided to place an order I do so from the site that has more of the items I'm after in stock at the time. Time and again I'll check Thought Hammer, Time Well Spent, Boulder, and Fair Play, and as much as I want to spread the business around it often seems TWS is missing more items. Its not that they don't stock them, its just by bad luck they are sold out or not yet in stock at the time I've ordered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
Re: TimeWellSpent Hiatus - Possible closure
They've been an excellent service-oriented seller. But you have to sell a lot of games with the tight profit margins to come out ahead, and that's a lot of packaging and shipping work, too. Boardgame retail is as much a mission as it is a way to earn a living.

I hope they stay open so I can keep their magnet on my fridge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PlayMe1 wrote:

I hope they stay open so I can keep their magnet on my fridge.

First thing I thought was "Oh no!"

Second thing was "Where will I get magnets for my fridge now?"

I have several TimeWellSpent magnets on the fridge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kozlowski
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I, uh, guess I had a lot of geekgold?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheylon wrote:
I'm very sorry to see this come up. I had the pleasure of interviewing Dave about six months ago for the "Ascent and Dissent of the Friendly Online Game Store" series and he is a terrific guy that runs a wonderful store. Here's hoping that we don't lose TWS.

It's funny actually, because I just listened to that over the weekend (nice show, by the way; I've burned a bunch of episodes to listen to in the car), so when I read the above news today, I was surprised -- he sounded much more positive about TWS just the other day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coolpapa wrote:
I hope this is more about re-prioritizing than any financial hardships or anything like that.

Financial hardship! Ya think?? I thought financial hardships and selling games for a living kind of went hand in hand!

This is sad news indeed. I've ordered from Dave quite often, visited his warehouse and sat across a game from him on numerous occasions. He's an all around super guy and I wish him well in whatever he decides. Jared (the other part of TWS) certainly deserves a hats off as well. Both are great guysand I've been more than happy to be a customer of theirs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Even way over here in NZ I have several of the TWS magnets on our fridge as well.

They were my #1 online boardgame supplier from over in the US. I ordered quite a few games from Germany as well... but most of my English language games came from Dave at TWS.

Sad to see them (possibly) go but as with any business niche... when there are too many players chasing too small a margin there is bound to be fallout and eventually some of the competitors that do the deepest discounting simply can no longer feasibly stay in business. If boardgaming was a much larger niche and more mainstream than it currently is... more of these companies might survive but I see many others falling as well.

A bit of speculation here but having owned a few other businesses (both successes and failures) in the past I would make an educated guess and say that many of these online boardgame businesses are basically just scraping by and to make enough to actually provide for a family and actually get ahead in life... online boardgames sales just doesn't cut it. This type of business is a hell of a tie down as well with constant orders/email/shipping commitments. The profits to time invested ratio is pretty dismal to say the least.

My guess is that the stores that sell at higher profit margins are doing better and will likely stick around simply because they make more $ per game sold. The deep discount model is flawed unless you can sell a hell of a lot of product (the "stack 'em high and sell 'em cheap" business model)... not something you can really do in online boardgame sales.

If I was a single guy looking to make $10,000-30,000 in a year then I might do this as a hobby but long term if you have a family and want a growth business you simply don't want to be depending on this type of business to be your sole breadwinner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Lyons
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The vast majority of my games have come from here and planned to continue. This would be a tragic loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I liked TimeWellSpent. I ordered from them as well, they had a good selection and were easy to deal with, perhaps sadly it seems boardsandbits has gotten more of my orders recently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don B
Tanzania
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
I hope they decide to continue with the business. I've appreciated dealing with them and I will be saddened if they go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are one of the best board game retailers. I hope they stay in business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.