Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played plenty of games wrong on the first try and left the table thinking, 'Hmm, something didn't seem quite right.' Then after finding the mistake and correcting it, those games seemed to play much better the next time around.

After reading over the rules and reading some of the other forum posts for Space Dealer, it seems as though there is so much that could go wrong here. One rules error and the game could end in a flop, especially because of the 30-minute time factor.

OK, on to some questions.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried manipulating which mines/depots each player starts with and where they're sitting to try to balance things out more.

For instance in a 4 player game, give each player a depot. Then, give them the 3 mines that don't contain (at all, producing or demanding) the color shown on the bottom of their depot. That way, everyone is perfectly equal in what they produce and what demands they meet in terms of distance from their neighbors.

I'm also kicking around another idea so that if a player chooses to scrap a card from the planning area (after assigning a timer to do so) he may choose to take an engine card from the tech pile (level 2 or 3) if he doesn't have any available energized connections left. That way, the engines get into play when they're needed, but they still require some time to do so. Not sure about that one yet.

Anyway, I look forward to unleasing this game soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried the game with the published rules yet?

If there are any new players at the table, I'll repeat my suggestion to play a 5-10 minute learning round before the real game. You'll get a feel for the flow of the game.

As for the mine/depot mix, I don't worry about the mix of demand versus mines. Your starting mine mix is more important when compared to your two adjacent Gizzi cards. But even if you don't get a match for those, it's hardly a game-killer; you just tech up. I've been in that situation, and won.

Not being able to find generators is a frustration point for some players. Remember that you and another player can trade cards in your respective planning areas, as long as they don't have timers. So the player who's only drawing generators can trade with a player who's not drawing any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing is the expansion Space Dealer: All-Zeit is suppose to be out soon here in the US and it seems to address many of the complaints of the basic game. Gizzi cards are replaced and have new abilities plus some new cards to replace some of the old stuff. Seems they added wormholes to allow jumping around the board easier. Our first game was fun but want to try it again with the new cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.