United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
www.istroyworking.com
badge
www.istroyworking.com
mbmbmb
So, a few months ago I held a game night at my church. The game night was for the younger people in the church. I had about 10-12 couples come out and play. We all had a good time and people were talking about it for a while.

Now, everyone wants to do it again and make it a church wide game night!

I'm not concerned about the younger couples, but I'm concerned about the older couples. 18 older couples have already signed up. I know this sounds rude of me, but I'm worried about keeping the older couples entertained.

Just had to vent a bit and calm down. I know things will be ok, but it sure doesn't mean I'm not worried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider yourself blessed.

Over the last few years, I've tried this at my church...first time went well - for a couple of months. People started dropping off after that and it finally just slowed to a halt.

A couple of years later, I tried again. This time around, the people that showed up only wanted to play party games (Farkle and Catch Phrase). There's nothing wrong with that, but a couple of buddies and I wanted to play some Euro games but the others kept trying to recruit us for the party games. It got to be such a hassle, we gave up the Euro games.

During this time, a couple of those friends and I DID get together for games periodically and had great fun. Then one of them moved, then another moved, and it stopped again.

Well, I'm trying again to recruit some friends from church to get together to play "real" board games (oops, did I open a can of worms?)...and I'd really like to try it with the church members again, but I'm afraid I'll get the same results. These friend just happen to go to my church, except one, but I'm not calling it a "Church Game Night" again....I learned my lesson.

Consider yourself blessed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's cool. The closest I've gotten to a church game thing was playing 7 players of Shadows over Camelot at someone's house. Then a 5 player Ticket to Ride at another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricatoni
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a good idea. In my experience it is quite interesting...our church game nights split into three distinct groups.

Party Gamers (Apples to Apples, Catch Phrase, Taboo)

Teen Gamers (Hook up Dance Revolution or Karaoke...or they drift between Party and Board)

Board Gamers (Catan, Frag, MGT, Ticket to Ride, Blue Max)

People end up going into different rooms to exercise their preferences. The biggest group is the Party Gamers. But Dogzard and I are slowly getting Board Game Converts in these nights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davidson
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
www.istroyworking.com
badge
www.istroyworking.com
mbmbmb
I do know it's exciting to have so many people interested in playing games. I'm just worried about the older players as I feel inadequate with them. Honestly, the intimidate me at times. You have to understand that I was inactive at church for years and years and have only recently started to go back to church.

I will be taking a lot of party games to the game night along with a lot of good board games.

I just hope it goes over well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clandaith wrote:
I do know it's exciting to have so many people interested in playing games. I'm just worried about the older players as I feel inadequate with them. Honestly, the intimidate me at times. You have to understand that I was inactive at church for years and years and have only recently started to go back to church.

I will be taking a lot of party games to the game night along with a lot of good board games.

No one's going to blast you for trying to do a good thing. Enjoy yourself and don't sweat it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
El Hidalgo wrote:
This is a good idea. In my experience it is quite interesting...our church game nights split into three distinct groups.

Party Gamers (Apples to Apples, Catch Phrase, Taboo)

Teen Gamers (Hook up Dance Revolution or Karaoke...or they drift between Party and Board)

Board Gamers (Catan, Frag, MGT, Ticket to Ride, Blue Max)

People end up going into different rooms to exercise their preferences. The biggest group is the Party Gamers. But Dogzard and I are slowly getting Board Game Converts in these nights.

The most fun is when you bring games like Vegas Showdown, Grass, or Arkham Horror. You get some very interesting reactions.

shake surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clandaith wrote:

I know it's probably not your particular favorite, but I have found that any form of Dominoes usually goes over very well with the older folks (ie, Mexican Train, ChickenFoot, etc..) Also, Rummikub seems quite popular, as is, of course, Apples to Apples

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how old these "older couples" are, but my parents are senior citizens, and their favorite games are:

Carcassonne
Rummikub
Ticket to Ride (US)
Wits and Wagers

They're not really into games with multiple phases and tend to prefer games where you have to choose between maybe three options on each turn.

Other games I plan to try out with them are:

Poison
Coloretto (and, if they like that, Zooloretto)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Heine
Australia
West Launceston
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been a gamer for years and years.
I moved city to a new job about 6 years ago.
I joined a church here.
About 12 months ago a few of us went away for a weekend.
I took some games and found volunteers to learn ticket to ride Europe and Bohnanza.
They really enjoyed it.
There are two younger couples I regularly play with.
One couple has bought quite a few of their own by using the geek, as I introduced them to here.
There are others who sometimes join in in an evening.
I am part of the music ministry team and one of my regular gaming couples has organised a social evening at my house this saturday night.
So I have the opportunity to expose more to this great hobby.
Some will probably bring their more mainstream games though and will be happy to play with them. Cool.
I will just go with the flow on the weekend and see what happens.

Cheers Dino.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa Sutherland
United States
Guilford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really would not be concerned about it. Anyone who attends will have the mindset that they are out for a fun evening. I run game nights at my church and people are excited to just do something different. I would definitely bring some of your classic games from your collection and always have a deck of cards and a cribbage board. This way people can entertain themselves without instruction. You can try to stagger start gateway games with each group, by basically going over the rules and staying for the first couple of turns. Most are very interested in trying these games they have never heard of. I am sure it will be a great time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had great luck with gaming and church. As a youth, I learned D&D (and by extension LARPing), Vampire:TM, Warhammer 40k, and Magic:TG at church. There were a lot of geeks at my church (all children of scientists and engineers).

That said, I think the key is to make it a "game night at your church" and not a "church game night". The point is that a subgroup of your church would enjoy using the space for a social activity. If it is a "church game night" and specifically if you have a smallish church then people will feel left out if they don't show up. This leads to having lots of people, that aren't really interested or don't know what they're getting themselves into, showing up.

[edit]Clarity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becky Bates
United States
Sugar City
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Mom is 68 now and here is a list of her favorite games:
Alhambra, Settlers of Catan, Oasis, Puerto Rico, Yspahan, Seafarers of Catan, and Lost Cities

I know this is sort of an unusual list, but she loves games and we have been able to teach her a lot of the newer games - she loves them.

Looking at the games you have, she would enjoy the following:
Lost Cities, Ra, Rook, Rummikub, Scrabble

Anyone coming to a church-sponsered game night should be willing to play whatever the person in charge brings. I went to a church game night and we played Balderdash, Taboo, Yahtze, and Spoons. While I would not have chosen these games, it was just fun to get together and interact with the other members of the church.

I understand your nervousness, however. I am currently planning a "murder mystery" game night for a group of about 60 women (ranging in ages from 18 to 88). I hope they will have fun, but I cannot guarantee it. I am just planning what I would enjoy doing and hope everyone who attends will have fun also. If they don't, that is their problem. All you need to enjoy an activity is the proper attitude. I hope your group of people all bring a great attitude with them. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Korneliussen
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
When I moved to Oslo, first thing I did was find a church that has regular board game evenings It works great, usually we are not too many, but never too few. Itprobably helps that it's a very young congregation.

I suppose me and organizer kingdok are the most dedicated gamers, we are the only ones I know to have BGG accounts

It used to be every second Thursday, but it looks as if we will manage every Tuesday just fine.

If anyone else in Oslo is here, it's Subcafé, the café of Subchurch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.