Popular Tags: [View All]
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Trivial question... but why is it that when you are copy and pasting a large chunk of data from a computer screen... the copying action goes much faster if you start at the bottom of the screen and work up rather than from the top and work down. There is a noticeable difference and I'm just wondering if anyone knows why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps it has something to do with you being in the Southern Hemisphere. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kunnagh Scott
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Apart from the Coriolis effect, which is definitely helping, but is too small to be responsible for the whole difference, is it because scroll speed when selecting is controlled by how far to the top or bottom of the screen the pointer is, and it's much easier to push the mouse a distance away from you when selecting from bottom-up than it is to pull the mouse towards you as when selecting top-down?

If you pick up your mouse and put it futherway than normal, then select the top of the document and then, still holding the button, pull the mouse a good long way so that it goes right to the bottom of the screen and holds there, you should see the same scroll speed as when pushing up.

That's my theory, backed up by a little experiment I just did, here at my well appointed research lab (or 'desk').

K

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrolling? What's that? devil

Click at beginning. Jump to end. Shift-click at end.

Voila.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.