Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin B
Canada
Richmond Hill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the city growth card, it says you take two random cubes and place them on any city. Do you get to see the cubes before you pick the city, or must you pick the city first, then place two random cubes on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BakeliteTM wrote:
For the city growth card, it says you take two random cubes and place them on any city. Do you get to see the cubes before you pick the city, or must you pick the city first, then place two random cubes on it?

Step 1. Take 2 random cubes

Step 2. Place them on any city

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Psauberer wrote:
BakeliteTM wrote:

Step 1. Take 2 random cubes

Step 2. Place them on any city

Hmm, I was on the understanding that it was:

1. Choose city
2. Take 2 random cubes
3. Place it on that city.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:

1. Choose city
2. Take 2 random cubes
3. Place it on that city.

This is also how I've always played it.. in different groups of people too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cheng
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm with David.

The other way around gives the card and the active player unnecessary advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wrong.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/918335#918335

I still may play this one as a house rule where the cubes are drawn first, though.

The reason is that it makes it possible for choosing City Growth to hurt the player who picks it. The intention usually is for the player to have a city in mind when he chooses the card. However, if the cube mix drawn is crappy or benefits opponents (i.e. you draw cubes that, if placed where you originally intended, opponents can deliver fairly easily while you can't) then by allowing some flexibility you mitigate the possibility of harm. I can't recall any other card where you can get totally hosed (yes, New City can have the same problem with cubes, but that is more than balanced by the ability to choose the color city) so don't liek that this one can. It relegates the card to pretty much a desperation measure with the official rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin B
Canada
Richmond Hill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification. For the record, I agree with Psauberer and that's how we played it. We will play it the correct way now, but I don't expect too many people will choose the card. It is pretty random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
BakeliteTM wrote:
Thanks for the clarification. For the record, I agree with Psauberer and that's how we played it. We will play it the correct way now, but I don't expect too many people will choose the card. It is pretty random.

I don't necessarily agree that its a random card.

The Railroad Tycoon games have a unique system in place that sets them apart from the Age of Steam games... empty cities.

If your tracks are near or connected to empty cities... two cubes can help you out tremendously.

Not only do they remove the empty city marker, which helps prolong the game a little, they also, if the right empty city is picked, can give you more points.

-DK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually the card is not really that bad.I often select this card but always try to choose a city that I am only connected to at the time then no one can take those cubes anyway.If you get this card and are able to drop the cubes in a city that only you have access to and could get like 2 4-5 link deliveries that could be 8-10 points to you score which is actually pretty good.Also the card could be used to put the two cubes into an empty city if the game is getting close to ending to prolong it a bit.I usually see these cards taken pretty quickly in the original railroad tycoon game and in this one also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It's a good card in the right situation. Such as...

* Towards the end of the game when you have a lack of available cubes to deliver it's preferable to passing an action.

* If the city you chose has been linked by you in such a fashion that you won't get "burned" by the cube draw... such as drawing two yellow cubes when your only available link is to a yellow city one link away.

* If, as has been mentioned, you're the only player in a position to take advantage of the new cubes and you don't have any other more inviting choices for the action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.