Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He's advertising on the site; does that make him one?

Interesting.

Note that I'm not the least bit bothered by political advertising on this site. Rather I'm honored that a person of his stature, regardless of his political leanings, recognizes the predominant site representing my hobby of choice as worthy to spend advertising money on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian smith
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
I Play Green
mbmbmbmbmb
No to be a geek he would have to have a semblance of humanity and being a republican that isn't possible. He is actually an outright mercenary and you seem to have fallen for the ploy hook, line and sinker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Daniels
United States
Walled Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
smithpernu wrote:
No to be a geek he would have to have a semblance of humanity and being a republican that isn't possible. He is actually an outright mercenary and you seem to have fallen for the ploy hook, line and sinker.

Fine political commentary from a resident of a country where men wear skirts, eat sheep stomachs and call bagpipes musical intruments. Your whiskey is good, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Redneon wrote:
Fine political commentary from a resident of a country where men wear skirts, eat sheep stomachs and call bagpipes musical intruments. Your whiskey is good, though.

I agree, fine commentary. Also, what's not to like about a gentle breeze and a good meal with fine music and spirits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert C Kalajian Jr
United States
Simsbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all for gentle breezes, good food, and music.

I'm all against McCain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard many four letter words used in describing John McCain. Geek isn't one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rkalajian wrote:

I'm all against McCain.

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pilight wrote:
I've heard many four letter words used in describing John McCain. Geek isn't one of them.

Hero is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the point at which people hit the X and mark this thread as "Wrong Forum".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
pilight wrote:

Hero is.

True.

I don't particularly cotton to McCain's interpretation of conservative politics, but he is for real. He's bona fide. It's up to the spinmasters now to reshape his image to appeal to the conservatives and those who equate strong character with leadership. If they can achieve that even an Obama/Clinton or Cinton/Obama ticket will fold like a broken straight come November.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a huge McCain fan either, but this whole "Republicans/Democrats/anyone I disagree with aren't human beings," nonsense is exactly what is wrong with this country right now.

On the original topic, I doubt the candidate has time to pick where his advertising goes. I bet some of his ad people are geeks though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew the "wrong forum" post would happen. I deliberately did not post this in the politics forum because I didn't intend for this to become a political discussion. I should have known better.

To me the most interesting aspect of this is the fact that the geek has risen to such a point that even those who can't afford the slightest blemish are using it as a means of promoting themselves. Even in spite of the fact that this is a decidedly niche hobby that historically has a bad popularity rap.

So much for all of the arguments against the word "geek". In my mind this disproves any and all notions that the name detracts from the credibility of this site.

Please try to keep this off of republican versus democrat. I know it's hard to do right now but there really is a more game and BGG focus to this than that.

Edit: Too late. I see this has been moved. Oh well, let the mudslinging continue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Men wearing skirts plus a gentle breeze is not a good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Daniels
United States
Walled Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
Spielguy wrote:
Men wearing skirts plus a gentle breeze is not a good thing.

What a visual! I was just starting lunch and now I am not hungry.

My original post was not a political comment, just a slam against outsiders spouting rubbish about things that are none of their business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
batman wrote:
He's advertising on the site; does that make him one?

Where? Is he selling Sweet Notes Cookie Jars from Crayola?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Feeling lucky punk? Well, do ya?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's funny how many people: "Don't like" McCain, Clintion, Obama, Huckabee, etc etc.

How many of you actually know these people? You know their stump speeches and their public persona.

You might not like their politics, their religion, their haircuts, or their suits. However, you can't claim to not like them unless you actually know them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw a banner ad for him. I haven't seen it again since the first time I saw it.

He may have been holding a crayon or a cookie or a cookie shaped like a crayon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like where this thread is headed...

laughlaugh laughlaughcrycoollaughlaugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
batman wrote:
I saw a banner ad for him.
He may have been holding a crayon or a cookie or a cookie shaped like a crayon.

You hope it was a cookie or a crayon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
pilight wrote:

Hero is.
I don't know about that. He no doubt is a survivor, having endured a long time as a POW. But does that make one a hero? Is the petty thief who was sent to prison for 6.5 years due to bungled evidence, only to be freed and given $3.7 million for his troubles a hero or just a survivor (by the way, he's dead now)?

Not to belittle Mr. McCain's ability to endure torture, but does that make a person a hero?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy B
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rkalajian wrote:

I'm all against McCain.

I wonder if you'd like him a little more if he bought one of the games you Designed/Publish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, John McCain, the hero who did not break under torture. The power of myth!
Quote:
It wasn't the first time McCain broke under pressure. After his capture, wrote the Republic, "He was placed in a cell and told he would not receive any medical treatment until he gave military information. McCain refused and was beaten unconscious. On the fourth day, two guards entered McCain's cell. One pulled back the blanket to reveal McCain's injured knee. 'It was about the size, shape and color of a football,' McCain recalled. Fearful of blood poisoning that would lead to death, McCain told his captors he would talk if they took him to a hospital."

McCain has always been truthful about his behavior as a POW, but he has been more than willing to allow others to lie on his behalf. "A proven leader, and a man of integrity," The New York Post says, and he's happy to take it. "All he had to do was denounce his country. He refused..." Not really. He did denounce his country. But he didn't demand a retraction.

The whole article is worth reading:
http://www.uexpress.com/tedrall/?uc_full_date=20080205
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It's up to the spinmasters now to reshape his image to appeal to the conservatives and those who equate strong character with leadership

DW,

That is a very acute observation. Is "strong character (I also here bad temper)" true leadership? Very good question in regard to McCain, one I wont attempt to answer or politicize here on BGG but I will think about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beyak
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
Combat Commander gets your blood flowing.
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Ah, John McCain, the hero who did not break under torture. The power of myth!
Quote:
It wasn't the first time McCain broke under pressure. After his capture, wrote the Republic, "He was placed in a cell and told he would not receive any medical treatment until he gave military information. McCain refused and was beaten unconscious. On the fourth day, two guards entered McCain's cell. One pulled back the blanket to reveal McCain's injured knee. 'It was about the size, shape and color of a football,' McCain recalled. Fearful of blood poisoning that would lead to death, McCain told his captors he would talk if they took him to a hospital."

McCain has always been truthful about his behavior as a POW, but he has been more than willing to allow others to lie on his behalf. "A proven leader, and a man of integrity," The New York Post says, and he's happy to take it. "All he had to do was denounce his country. He refused..." Not really. He did denounce his country. But he didn't demand a retraction.

The whole article is worth reading:
http://www.uexpress.com/tedrall/?uc_full_date=20080205

We have no idea if any of that is true. But, you can go on believing what ever you want to.

If you repeat a lie often enough it becomes indistinguishable from the truth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beyak wrote:
We have no idea if any of that is true. But, you can go on believing what ever you want to.

As can you! After reading the article, I did some more research instead of just automatically dismissing it and saying:
Beyak wrote:
If you repeat a lie often enough it becomes indistinguishable from the truth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.