Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys I don't have Dread or Sands but is there a way to combine their adventures to the base game board? I know that these 2 expansions come with board overlays but has anyone tried, or is it even possible to use the expansion boards as destinations from the base game board?
I mean, Frostgate is a town that borders the edge of the board, could I use that town as the port to sail to the Island of Dread map? And there is a road that leads south from Vynelvale, could I move down that road and get to the Sands of AlKalim map? Just a thought I had, hopefully someone has some info on this or has tried it already to make an UberRunebound!! Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess the short answers are: No, no, and no.

I mean, the big boxes, like the adventure variants deck, not only replace the boards - they also come with new rule elements, new victory conditions, and with their own adventure cards.

So even assuming you wanted to connect the maps together, and even if you came up with some system to say things like "PvP combat is not allowed on the IoD map, but it is on the others", and even if you use a rule like "the winner is the first character to kill Margath OR get 3 dragon runes OR kill Asib Shim-Sha (sp?) OR collect 4 legendary treasures", the whole idea still seems a bit... bloated.

I mean, in a typical game, my character usually covers about 2/3 of the existing map. What use would we have for such a big map? At worse, that makes for an even longer game (noooooo!).

Runebound is very houserule-friendly, so I'm not going to say it couldn't be done at all. But I wouldn't touch that with a 20-foot magic staff. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Abler
United States
California
flag msg tools
:laugh:We have played with three boards and it’s a really fun variant. To answer Franks question of “why would want to?”, It give the game a fun variation and variety allowing you to move into different areas to xp and quest.

As for the how, I’ll give you the cliff notes so as not to bore you to sleep.

Boards used:
Original
Sands
Island

layout:
set up puts the original board in the middle, islands to the west and Sands to the south (Sands has a northern road that lines up perfectly with the southern route in the original map).

Basic rules: game rules are the same as in normal play. Players start in the starting town on the original board as normal. Each board or “land” is its own location is only effected by its own event cards and own end game goal. Players can travel from land to land questing and xping as they go.

In regards to Gills note on board size, this style of game Is meant for large player group normally beyond the normal 6 player limit, however for smaller group of people you can play with the “save game” rules, allowing you to go to a city to “log out” and come back another day to play on whatever board is laid out next. The saved game variation is less focused on betting the boss and more focused on questing and leveling your hero.

Some of the elements are still in test faze but if you have questions, feel free to ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks JP sounds great. Maybe if you get time you could write a session report when it all works out.

As to answer Frank's question, I was just wondering if it was possible, whether it would be any good and what value the bix box expansions are. I am thinking about getting sands and iod and thought that it may be a waste of money since I can only play one of these games at a time because of the board overlay. And that got me thinking about just adding the exp boards to the main board etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.