Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, EVERYONE doesn’t have to write a session report on pandemic!!

I finally had my first play at Hamburgelerville last night. As a early thirties American person it's hard not to always think about McDonalds and the Hamburgler every time I hear this game mentioned. I can’t take the name serious even though a coworker has shared his photos of Hamburgum with us all and it is a beautiful city indeed. This is a game I've been dying to play for a while now and my friend Tim's Essen haul was cracked open last night for my first game. We had the magic foursome for this one. I believe Tim’s played a couple times now and Pete and Dan had not played either.

For reference I love City planning type games, don’t like Antike, and am so-so about Imperial. We played the London side.

According to Tim the game was “very simple” but after his initial explanation I was at a loss for what to do. I tried to follow the expert but it seemed apparent to me and Dan that we needed to make some early donations and grab 5VP tokens right away. I also decided to shore up the exciting yellow district and I had every space before I made the crucial donation for the x4 people bonus. Dan had shot out to a big lead making all kinds of donations, and Tim waited a couple turns before he made a huge trade for big bucks.

After a little while I started to get the hang of the game. I bought some ships, and got the flying Dutchmen Captain and I tried to make enough donations to keep scoring my ships. I then realized I was about a move behind Tim so I felt pretty good that I was optimizing my plays except I kept missing a wood or brick here and there.

Pete had bough tremendous amount of goods, and had tons of people on the board, this hurt his ability to finish churches and his multiplier award didn’t do what he thought it would do.... Alas he was WAYYYY behind in points toward the end.

Tim and I finally finished off some churches and kept scoring points. Dan was a couple moves behind us, and he finished the last church ending the game I think. Dan fell just a couple points shy of me. Together we needed a spyglass to see Tim’s score WAYYYY ahead of us around the board-scoring track. Poor Pete was miles away but had some good final endgame scoring bonuses.
Final scoring
Tim
Wade
Dan (just behind)
Pete

Hambugerlerville is a very nice and enjoyable game. I love 'multiple paths to scoring' games, and this one has it tied together with a nice market mechanic. Once things get going the rondle action really speeds the game up over Imperial and Antike and things can just fly by. It may not be the deepest game nor the most interactive and enjoyable game out there but it is pretty, fun, fast, and worthy of many replays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cappel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Geekgold just for the Thread title!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Danke, I could finally afford my New Order micrbadge I've been wanting for ages. My wife tells me there is music AFTER 1980 but I don't believe her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.