1 Posts

Catan» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Campbell
United States
flag msg tools
Some friends and I were hanging out and decided to play a game of Settlers. The players were myself, F, M, and E. F and I had played the game several times before, while M and E were new. After explaining the rules to them, we set up the board randomly, and began playing. I think that the initial placement was the critical factor in this game. F went first, choosing the location with the most dots (13), which was a powerful location with wood, brick, and ore, and which happened to be close to a sheep port. I went second, choosing the spot with the next highest number of dots, 12, and two wheat and a wood. I do not recall exactly where E and M went, but I seem to remember that I didn't think they did the best job of choosing starting locations. When the turn came back to me, there were to spaces worth considering. There was a space that had 10 dots, but it was all sheep, and I already had an 8. There was a space with 9 dots, on the coast, with a 6 on sheep and a 5 on wood, and a wheat port. I chose the second spot, thinking that wood would be more useful to me than sheep, and that the wheat port would come in handy, and missed the fact that F was near a sheep port and could get the 10 dot location with sheep. F took this, which was really her key to winning the game.

During the game, there were several races that were fairly important. F got to the sheep port before I could even begin to stop her, although I was close enough that if I had been able to trade for more brick early in the game, I might have been able to beat her to it. Having no access to brick or ore was really hurting me, so I built roads to a place that was on a 9 of brick, only to be outrun by E, who built a settlement too close to let me do that. E had been shooting for longest road, but F outran him, and then wasted some time making sure that no one could build a longer road. Had it not been for that wasted time, the game probably would have ended much sooner, with F getting 10 points before the rest of us even had 7. I raced M to a 3 for 1 port, of which I already had one, but it was also a decent wheat producing location, which was very valuable to me with my wheat port. She was one wheat short of being able to build a settlement, and in my next turn, I got enough wheat (I already had a wood and a sheep) for a road and a settlement, beating her to it. At this point, my production of wheat was good enough that I had tied at 8 with E and F, and gotten a lead over M at 7, and was producing faster than M or E, but F had stopped wasting time building roads so her next turn she built a road, a settlement, and bought a dev card, which ended up being a victory point, and allowed her to win.

The final score was, I believe, Me: 8, M: 7 (although she might have built another city towards the end to bring herself to 8), E: 8, F: 10. The moral of the story: never allow someone to get 10 dots of sheep production, when they already have the highest producing location on the board and are near a sheep port.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.