England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Braaaiiiiins!!! yeah we all know zombies love to dine on fresh, hot 'n' spicey human braiiiiins, it happens in all the zombie movies.

Woah there hang on, no it doesn't! It happens in 'one' zombie film or one series of zombie film, 'The Return of the Living Dead', that's it. I can think of one or two others that make a subliminal nod towards the brain eaters of ROTLD, but come on could something that's generally considered weaker than the average person be capable of biting through a human skull? Strange how nearly everyone seems to think that brains are their staple diet... maybe they need to watch more zombie films. Come round to mine and let me educate you by flicking through my collection.

The Death of Death:

Romero's latest 'back to basics' Zombie flick is what you get when a huge budget and massive studio interference have been denied, it's therefore allowed him to return to his indie roots.

A group of students make a cheesy monster movie, and find themselves in the middle of chaos and decide to document it. A la the superior 'Cloverfield'.

The film is a bunch of clips, with narration from one of the surviving students, obviously edited 'with added music' and voiced over with occasional interrupts, telling you the same blatantly obvious things for the umpteenth time... and when did they get the time to edit the tape? Is everything back to normal now in 'The Land of the Zombies'!?!?!? or is she happily editing footage whilst the dead poke their arms in through gaps in her hastily barricaded windows?

The CGI is less than impressive, but thankfully at least it's kept to a minimum. Some of the headshots are well done, and most of the zombies are pretty good, although one or two pieces of overacting from a few of them spoils the overall effect.

But hey "the dead are rising, lets go to a hospital where the bodies are sure to be piled to the doors!"... nope there's hardly anyone home, and that's the case wherever the characters go. Maybe I expected too many zeds, it is after all supposed to be the beginning of the outbreak. But there's not 'much' zombie activity anywhere, just about every place they visit is deserted, with just the odd zombie bumbling around waiting to lunge at their throats. Do zombies only bite your throats???

The TV/Radio broadcast are just about ripped straight from NOTLD, I could almost recite them verbatim, and there's a scene with an old couple at the end that bears more than a passing resemblance to the tenement section from Dawn.

BUT all those negative points aside I quite enjoyed it, it just left me wanting a lot more. I hope Romero continues , but he'd need to progress the story further, with more zombie action, something along the lines of Dawn. As it stands Diary didn't come close to the claustrophobia and fear of 'Night', or the chaos and crumbling civilization seen in 'Dawn'.

Remember: FAST ZOMBIES SUCK!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote this in my thread about my Fun Gun League. Fast Zombies would suck.

Quote:
When I left I asked the GSSF* guy if he’d ever run a Zombie Shoot… “You know, a slow moving relentless horde… only head shots count?” He thought that was a great idea.

*Glock Shooting Sports Foundation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in mortal fear that my ducks will die and return as zombieducks.

Zombieduck wants to eat your flesh. Or at least your stale bread. Don't know what's worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn, didn't know that Diary Of The Dead is out, thought it was being made by a major studio. Though I found Land Of The Dead disappointing, at least they didn't make the zombies run like in the Dawn remake.

Still, I love zombies, the absolute, abject fear that if we were to fall prey of something that made the dead rise, we would be screwed, at least until they all rotted away.

Want to see this movie, but very much doubt they'll show it here at all. Oh well, I'll wait until it's shown in an year's time on the paid movie channels I have here.

EDIT: And they're making a sequel to the movie. Zombie goodness all around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.