Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicolas Guay
Canada
Memramcook
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many of us I'm sure have bought a game because it is a Spiel des Jahres award winner. I personally know because I bought them all.

I am now thinking of buying Shogun because it won the Golden Geek Award.

I'm just curious who else out there was/is influenced by the Golden Geek Awards for their board game purchases?

Thanks,
Nick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kozlowski
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I, uh, guess I had a lot of geekgold?
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why I bought Wits 'n' Wagers.

But really, I'm influenced by every award ever. I'm influenced by awards I've never even heard of. Games 100? Um, okay. IGA? Sure, why not Charles S. Roberts? Let's go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricatoni
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually it would only make me look closer at a game I was already considering. Shogun has such great reviews and interesting session reports...hearing that it won a Golden Geek Award makes me want to play it...and then consider buying...but not yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nickguay wrote:
Many of us I'm sure have bought a game because it is a Spiel des Jahres award winner. I personally know because I bought them all.

I am now thinking of buying Shogun because it won the Golden Geek Award.

I'm just curious who else out there was/is influenced by the Golden Geek Awards for their board game purchases?

Thanks,
Nick

I created a geeklist to compare the different awards to answer the question "Should I buy a game because it a particular award".

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/32556

However I didn't include the Golden geek award because it has only been around for a couple of years. It picked Caylus for 2006 and shogun for 2007 both highly rated games. So by the math the GGA are doing quite well. The question is how will their choices do over time.

As for should you guy it, I wouldn't buy it because of just the award. I'd do what I do for most games. Check the reviews here on BGG. generally I check out what got awards just to get it on my "I should check this out list"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
Sislar wrote:
However I didn't include the Golden geek award because it has only been around for a couple of years. It picked Caylus for 2006 and shogun for 2007 both highly rated games. So by the math the GGA are doing quite well.

I would expect this to be true, by definition. When BGG users vote on their favorites, you would not expect them to vote for games that BGG users rate poorly.

I think the Golden Geek Awards won't tell a BGG user anything he can't learn just by looking at ratings and rankings. (And since the GGA isn't widely known outside BGG, I suspect it can't tell a non-BGG user anything at all!)

This is not a slam against the Golden Geek; I like it and approve of it. I hope that over time it becomes one of the better-known awards and begins to appear on game boxes like the SdJ does now; then it will be useful to folks who don't frequent BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls