Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Wilson
Scotland
Glasgow
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lae does not normally (or historically) fall to the Japanese offensive on the opening turn. There are other more profitable targets, and simply too much to do.

In consequence the Allies on turn 1 often have the opportunity to seize Lae with a (free) one hex deployment out of Port Moresby.
Of course, assuming the Japanese have taken Rabul, further reinforcements would be needed into Port Moresby(from Fiji) and the Solomons, and this move could be seen as pointless since Lae will likely be retaken quickly, and dangerous, as it stretches, an already thin, Allied defence.

The unoccupied base status of Lae, gives it an unusual effect on the victory point situation, which should certainly make this move worthwhile if Japan has failed to take Rabul (due to a lucky sub shot, or the Australian CL intercepting successfully...), and maybe worth the risk even if they have.

Normally one might expect the Japanese to score +1 VP for Lae (probably on turn 2-3), moving them towards the magic 20 on their offensive streak. Later it will likely be retaken, -1 VP, by the Allies as they grind the Japs back. This "normal" result is a net 0 VPs, much as any other base which changes hands.

However because Lae is unoccupied, the allies may also score for seizing it first.

Thus Allied turn 1, Port Moresby to Lae gives -1 VP. Even if the Japanese take it back immediately (+1VP) their net score - while they continue to hold it - is still only 0, so it no longer helps them towards their 20 point offensive target.
Worse, assuming that the Allies take it back in the later game, that's a further minus 1 VP, for an overall -1 (vice 0).

Since the automatic victory target of 20 requires a real stretch by Japan, moving it even just 1 VP away may be enough to ensure that they never get there. Similarly reducing the "hold out" by a extra VP (assuming you see Lae being recaptured anyway), makes it just that bit easier to finish Japan off.

There is a further point. The same situation applies to the base at Hollandia, but this is not so accessable. However, it can be threatened in two ways.

One; if the Allies take Lae, even if the Japanese land a unit on top of them, they can still (assuming they have survived) one hex deploy out of Lae into an empty Hollandia (a further VP lost to Japan).

Two; While Leyte remains allied, AND no Japanese airpoints are deployed to Rabul or Lae, a Land unit (and DD) from Port Morseby could legally invade Hollandia (friendly base within 2, only 4 movement points).

Of course neither of these should actually occur against a fastidious Japanese player, but I think in practice, both might well arise in play, and the possibility that they could occur is just one more thing to overload the Japanese planning.

Finally, I have offered this stratagem based on the rules as written, there is however, at least some arguement to be made that there was NO possibilty of an advance from Port Moresby at this point in the war, nor any anticipation of it even as a possibility, until the Japanese made the attempt coming the other way. Whether this represents a rules loophole, or a historic oportunity, I leave for others to debate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Eliason
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mb
Lae has an Australian flag on it, and Hollandia is Dutch. They are "uncontrolled" just to indicate they don't have base capabilities. Occupying an "uncontrolled" base by the Allies is not a capture and doesn't give a VP, though it does confer full base status on the hex. One could argue that Bangkok starts really uncontrolled, but I can't imagine the Allies occupying it before the Japanese.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the game out in front of me, but are you talking about 1 hex deployment with land units to Lae? Isn't is an island, and so land units can't 1 hex deploy to / from it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forest Green Hobbit
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeliason wrote:
Occupying an "uncontrolled" base by the Allies is not a capture and doesn't give a VP

Why not? As i read the rule:

16.0 Victory Points
During the Victory Point Adjustment Segment, any bases that have been captured by the Japanese add to the Victory Point total, and any bases that have been captured by the Allies deduct from the Victory Point total. Note that for the purpose of this rule, "capture" means taking control of a neutral or enemy-controlled base (even if this previously was a friendly base).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.