Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so I've stickered the blocks, read the rules, and solo'd a couple turns of the 41 scenario to get the hang of it.

My question is, what am I supposed to be doing with these special action tokens? As germany, I can use them to drive a few extra spaces into russia each turn. Is that what I'm supposed to be doing here? I just feel like I'm missing something. I love the grand strategic scope of the game and the simplicity of the rules, but when it comes to actually executing my grand strategic plan, it feels a little flat. 3 operational breakthrough moves deeper into russia... is there something better do with my german SAs I'm missing here?

Is there some tricky combo of breakthrough operational combats and moves that lets you do more with the SAs?

I like the game a lot, but I think I'm missing something about how to use strategic actions.... please enlighten me someone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Breakthrough (strat)movement
Breakthrough combat
Reinforce
counterattack
retreat
amphibius assault
airborn assault

You can do much with them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm aware of the list of options... thanks.

I'm looking for tactical advice on how to use them best. For example, i've been using them in the 41 scenario to drive a few more spaces deeper towards moscow, encircle some russians with the extra movement, and basically clear away 1 pip russian guys along the way. Is this all there is to it?

What combinations of breakthough move, breakthrough combat, and breakthrough strat move are people using to really get the most out of the special actions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
That all depends on your overall strategy, the tactical opportunities and the outcome of battles. So it's hard to give any particular advise. Taking Moscow for instance needs lots of breakthrough movement. But losses during battles underway to Moscow and due to good dice rolling of the Russian player requires (from time to time) using a SA to reinforce 2 pip units tot their maximum (because 2 step units can't go along with your breakthrough movement). Sometimes a bad dice roll requires a breakthrough combat (because some defenders weren't annihilated). Strategic moves are sometimes necessery to gather some extra units in a certain area but sometimes it seems better to change the direction of the main thrust and some main important units (i.c. SS panzer units or strong "normal" panzer units) need to be redirected. In that way it's hard to give an "allround" advise. That's what's making this game a great game. It offers many possible strategies and lots of different possibilities to win the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks... I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on the basic strategy of special actions but it sounds like I just need to practice playing to become more efficient in how I spend them. I need a FtF opponent now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Pinguet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another great use is "Unlimited Reinforcement"
During the Mud/Winter turn in Russia, gather your wounded units and built them back up to full strength to launch a summer campaign at full speed.

But, yeah, their main use is to speed german progression. The goal of course is to deliver a knockout blow fast enough, before the allies can reinforce, revover.

Another well known combo, if the WAllies try to Invade France while you're busy in USSR is to spend enough SA to Strat Move all your best units back to France, spend SA and to Breaktrough move/Combat to crush them, and then strat move back to the USSR to keep the pressure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.