Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Gene Billingsley (of GMT) has posted the following at CSW:

Gene wrote:
Just a heads-up, guys. Tony and I have been working on nailing down a production slot for CC Pacific. He's the one who handles making sure we have sufficient funding for the printers on each game, and on this one, because we print higher quantities on the CC runs, we still need about another 250 orders to be able to pay for the print run. So, given that P500 order totals on Pacific haven't been rising much of late, Tony's not wanting to nail down a slot just yet.

I told Tony I'd let you guys know, as I figured a bunch of CC players want Pacific but just haven't gotten around to ordering it yet, as it's not on the near-future print schedule (yet). So please spread the word - if you plan to P500 this at some point, please go over to the website and do it soon. A faster-rising order total will give me some ammo with Tony to get the pre-production wheels greased and get a production slot nailed down as quickly as possible.

Feel free to spread the word.

Thanks!

Enjoy the games!

Gene

So for all those folks asking when it might get printed who haven't ordered, get those orders in to help advance any tentative print date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Heimburger
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seconded. All you fence sitters are keeping me from getting my copy. angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Romaniecki
United States
Attleboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT could try a new concept. It is is called "working capital."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kreder
United States
Nuevo
California
flag msg tools
Founder of the The Wargame Bootcamp (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/962)
badge
My hero Grumpy Bonaparte
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would they need working capital when the P500 as a business model makes much more sense?

You don't print a game until you have enough people order it to pay for it, it is what keeps small game companies like this in business.

I really don't want to see GMT go out of business so get out there and make you pre-orders people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Laprise
United States
Des Plaines
IL
flag msg tools
There is no rest for the wicked...
badge
...and I am so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
Unneccessary risk avoidance i.e. P500 system is good business practice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Heumphreus
United States
Charles Town
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Avtges
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
It's not easy being green.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me or does anyone else find the statement that "P500 order totals on Pacific haven't been rising much of late" a bit curious? According to geeklists here on BGG tracking GMT P500 games month to month, the P500 numbers for CCacific seem to be quite strong and steady. I certainly can understand the need for a higher number of pledges to support a higher print run and don't really have any problem with it...just found that statement a little odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sami Nurmela
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, as I see it this prompt is only to get the print job higher priority... more pre-orders, faster delivery. So Gene is actually making customer service here. Or did I completely misunderstand the mail?

(I'm not going to order though, as PTO holds no interest for me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
does anyone else find the statement that "P500 order totals on Pacific haven't been rising much of late" a bit curious?

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the meteoric rise in its first month on P500 compared to recent activity, not compared to other games' activity.

To wit: didn't CC break the 500 mark in 20-something days? That was back in November -- it's been about 120 days since then with about 300 more orders....

Also, the fact that CC will have a larger-than normal print run means that the printing will cost more than the average $80 GMT game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Mathews
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Romaniecki wrote:
GMT could try a new concept. It is is called "working capital."

I agree with this. It's not like printing CC is a huge risk or anything. I would imagine that there comes a point where getting something that is an almost sure thing out quicker would make you more money than waiting until you are completely covered by P500 orders. Of course since, by all reports, this isn't totally completed yet, it's kind of a moot point. That being said, I am looking forward to this and P500ed it in the first week it was out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
getting something that is an almost sure thing out quicker would make you more money ... Of course since, by all reports, this isn't totally completed yet, it's kind of a moot point.

Right you are. Regardless of what GMT may want production-wise, I won't sign off on CCacific -- or any of my games for that matter -- until I feel they are ready to go. I value quality over timeliness. If there's a scenario that isn't fun or balanced, I'm not ready. If there's a problem with a rule, I'm not ready. etc.

Now, I'm not saying this is the case: development is going rather smoothly. But there IS a bit of work left to be done and so there is the everpresent possibility of something unforeseen throwing a wrench into the works.

Bottom line is both I and GMT would like to see CC published this year. I'm doing what I can on my end to make that happen. This push for orders is GMT's way of helping to also make it happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Avtges
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad Jensen wrote:
Quote:
does anyone else find the statement that "P500 order totals on Pacific haven't been rising much of late" a bit curious?

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the meteoric rise in its first month on P500 compared to recent activity, not compared to other games' activity.

To wit: didn't CC break the 500 mark in 20-something days? That was back in November -- it's been about 120 days since then with about 300 more orders....

Also, the fact that CC will have a larger-than normal print run means that the printing will cost more than the average $80 GMT game.

Don't get me wrong. I understand and fully support the intent of this message. But looking at the numbers I see 50-70 pre-orders per month since the initial blast, which just doesn't jive with that statement.

My secret hope is that this statement comes from Tony and my observation gives Gene some ammo to counter it, thus getting CC printed sooner. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nix342 wrote:
But looking at the numbers I see 50-70 pre-orders per month since the initial blast, which just doesn't jive with that statement.

I think 50-75 orders per month is entirely consistent with the statement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
RPardoe wrote:
Gene Billingsley (of GMT) has posted the following at CSW:

Gene wrote:
Just a heads-up, guys. Tony and I have been working on nailing down a production slot for CC Pacific. He's the one who handles making sure we have sufficient funding for the printers on each game, and on this one, because we print higher quantities on the CC runs, we still need about another 250 orders to be able to pay for the print run. So, given that P500 order totals on Pacific haven't been rising much of late, Tony's not wanting to nail down a slot just yet.

I told Tony I'd let you guys know, as I figured a bunch of CC players want Pacific but just haven't gotten around to ordering it yet, as it's not on the near-future print schedule (yet). So please spread the word - if you plan to P500 this at some point, please go over to the website and do it soon. A faster-rising order total will give me some ammo with Tony to get the pre-production wheels greased and get a production slot nailed down as quickly as possible.

Feel free to spread the word.

Thanks!

Enjoy the games!

Gene

So for all those folks asking when it might get printed who haven't ordered, get those orders in to help advance any tentative print date.

Rich, could I borrow your username and logon for GMT Games for about 2 minutes? I can help get those orders up...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Much has been said about the announcement and the P500 system. I think it is much simpler than that. GMT has a limited number of games that can be in the print/release queue at any one time, even if all of the P500 items had an additional 500 orders tonight. The speed of increase of preorders is GMT gauge of demand and it determines position in the queue.

I would not want other games that are doing well to be pushed out of the queue because GMT thinks/knows CC will sell well. I think a number of people including myself did not preorder CC because we know it does not really need our vote to make it and it is just as easy to pick it up from another source after release. So the note said to me that I should preorder if I want the game sooner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Wells

Gilbert
Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love GMT games and I have no serious problem with "pre-orders" in order to publish games and carry no risk; however, call it what it is --

If it is their intent not to go to print with 500
copies then change the P500 to P1250 or P"when ever we
feel like it".

Currently, over 836 orders have been placed for CC and
according to your P500 program, only 750 is really
necessary to go to print.

If you believe their response "sufficient funding for the printers on each game, and on this one, because we print higher quantities on the CC runs, we still need about another 250 orders to be able to pay for the print run" then it is clear that they want US to pay for all of their extra copies to ship.

It is a sad way to drum up additional orders with NO COMMITMENT TO PRINT ON ANY PARTICULAR DATE - ONLY SOONER.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Avtges
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
nix342 wrote:
But looking at the numbers I see 50-70 pre-orders per month since the initial blast, which just doesn't jive with that statement.

I think 50-75 orders per month is entirely consistent with the statement.

Are we referring to the same statement? I'm talking about "P500 order totals on Pacific haven't been rising much of late".

Here are the numbers:

November +432 (432)
December +194 (626)
January +63 (689)
February +74 (763)
March +57 (820)
Now +40 (860)

Seems like a consistent and solid rise month to month to me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borat Sagdiyev
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With those numbers on the table, I would dare to say that it is one of the fastest-rising order totals in GMT's recent history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Major Geek wrote:
If it is their intent not to go to print with 500
copies

A name is just a name. GMT has always been very clear (or, at least, for the past several years) that there is no fixed numeric target for printing a particular game.

If you don't like the name of their preorder program, well, you always have the option to refuse to buy from them to express your outrage. But the actual program is not a big secret.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nix342 wrote:
Are we referring to the same statement? I'm talking about "P500 order totals on Pacific haven't been rising much of late".

Yes. Your numbers seem consistent to be with "not rising much". I guess everyone has their own idea of what "much" is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kreder
United States
Nuevo
California
flag msg tools
Founder of the The Wargame Bootcamp (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/962)
badge
My hero Grumpy Bonaparte
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Tom, guess you didn't read Chad's post very closely

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Preorders just broke 900. But that's only about 80 this month so far. Long way to an additional 250 as requested by Gene.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide Banchini c/o SELED
Italy
Faenza
Ravenna
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Maybe it was enough

(taken from GMT e-mail update)

Quote:
Status of P500 Additions.

Thanks to all of you who have ordered Combat Commander Battle Pack #2: Stalingrad during this past week. You guys are amazing - 500+ orders in six days! Thanks! Certainly this rapid rise on the list is going to position this Battle Pack to get one of the late 2008 production slots. You've also ordered roughly another 80 copies of Combat Commander: Pacific in the past week, which has pretty much convinced Tony to put this game in that next open production slot (September). We should have an overall 2008 production update for you within the coming month or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
989 preorders as of 2pm California time today.

Does the 1000th preorder get some sort of recognition?

Mine is already in.

Chick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I was going to buy OverText but I didn't know what to say with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll just have to order another one, Chick, and find out. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.