Tide of Iron» Forums » Rules

Subject: Help!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Herminio Laureano
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi everyone, i am new to this, and have entered the world of hex boardgames last week, with a present of my wife, the game TIDE of IRON.
But the first time i tried to play the game... No way, the rule book that comes with the game makes my head blow off, the explinations are complicatted, without any straight line of course. If someone who isn't new to this game please give me a guide line of how to play the game, i have been looking at other boarg games like Memoir'44 and the rules manual is very simple, very explanitory, and very easy to learn. Of course the games are diferently played, but the rules book explains very clearly the way to play the game.
So if someone could help me, so me and my friends could start enjoing the game.Please take note i have no experience what so ever in this type of game, so be paciente and explain me if possible like i was a 2 year old, step by step.
Thank's everyone in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Try my rules summary:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/info/24751

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely use the Universal Head's guide.

With that being said, you need to understand that this isn't exactly the best game to jump into wargaming with. It is a upper medium-weight game, whereas Memoir 44 is a lot simpler.

I commend your wife on the gift, but if you don't have a whole lot of experience with these kinds of systems, I'd almost recommend that you back burner Tide of Iron until you get some lighter systems under your belt.

However, if you do successfully tackle Tide of Iron as your first hex-and-counter boardgame, you'll be able to backtrack no problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UniversalHead wrote:

Yes, this rules summary is incredible. It should help understand the core rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The summary rules help for sure. I still need them throughout the game and I have been playing it once a week for almost 2 months now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob "Bodhi" Wolff
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, my suggestions would be ...

a) Take your time. Relax.
b) Open the box. Familiarize yourself with the pieces. Play with the bits. Get to know the components, so that when they reference something, you know what they are referring to. Look up the proper names of the various tokens, so that you know what things are called. Just get the names right, in your head, even if you don't know what things are. Just work your way through those summaries on the first few pages.

c) Read only a few pages at a time using your own components to help you work your way through the examples. If it helps, set up your own pieces in the same way they have them on the map, and move them about, to see what they are talking about.

d) Read a few pages, let them sink in, and them re-read them before moving on. Just try and absorb a little piece at a time. Little bite-sized pieces are easily digestible, but the add up.

e) Ignore vehicles, vehicle movement, tanks, and anything having to do with that sort of stuff for now. You can play a nice, servicable game without them as an introduction, and you don't have to worry about them. Just learn how to play with the infantrymen and the cards, and how the rules work.

f) Do *not* just play through the scenario booklet in order. There are scenarios available for download at the Fantasy Flight website.

Download the "Chain of Command" scenario for your first scenario, from the website, at this link:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/tideofiron_scenarios.html

g) So you read a page, digest a page, re-read a page, and then move on.

h) Use the Universal Head summaries! The man is an avatar of game-streamlining coolness!

If it just isn't making sense, and you get stuck at a certain concept with a specific question, feel free to ask. Just reference your page, say what is confusing, and people will be sure to help explain it.

example: "Okay, I started reading, and I got as far as page 2, but then they started talking about blah blah blah and I got confused. What is blah blah blah exactly, and how does it work?"

That way we can avoid just re-typing the entire rulebook and only focus on answering the real questions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herminio Laureano
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thaks for the help, i am going to check the universal head toi rules. I hope to have good news soon, or questions.
Thanks very much ppl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hermonio: I am certain that you will be able to learn and understand the rules. It is too bad you don't have somebody to help you. I know somebody who read and could not understand them, but picked up the game pretty easily by just playing through with someone who knew.

Since you do not have a teacher, this is what I would recommend:

(1) Get Universal Head's rules summary. It is awesome and I use it every time I play.
(2) Go to Fantasy Flight's web site ( [url]http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/tideofiron_scenarios.html [/url]) and download "New Player Scenario 1 - Infantry." This is the simplest and shortest scenario available right now. If you can't find it, let me know and I will email it to you.
(3) Play through the scenario solo. Do this to learn the moves. Start by just going through the "Turn Sequence" section of Universal Head's summary. The Americans have initiative in this scenario. They can do two actions and then the Germans take two actions. So the first thing you will do is to determine which American unit to activate. Look at the rules summary under action phase and you will see that there are 8 options. Choose one. Go to the summary and see how that option works. Do this for two units and then the germans get their two actions. Focus on learning the actions over doing any kind of strategy.

After all the units have moved, walk through the 4 steps in the command phase. They do not take long at all. Then go through the 6 steps in the status phase. These also do not take long at all. Then go back to the action phase and start with whomever has initiative. All the while go to the more detailed parts of the rules summary and you will learn a lot. Do this for the full three rounds.

If that does not work, we can play through a round or two on this thread or by PM if you like.

Have fun!

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.