Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Statistically, what is the best thing to do when you throw 2 aces (1's)? It always seems like a tough choice, take the 200 points or just keep 1 and increase the odds for better rolls next time?

With 2 5's it seems a clearer choice to me, keep one and throw the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ʇllıʍ)
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By my analysis, the average score for rolling 5 dice at once is 215.51 and the average score for rolling 4 dice at once is 141.32. That would mean keeping one ace and rolling once more would yield an average of 315.51 points while keeping two aces and rolling once more would yield an average of 341.32 points. Therefore, you should keep both aces. And, you are correct in keeping 1 of 2 fives, by a 265.51 to 241.32 margin.

However, this simple analysis only takes into account a single additional roll of the dice. When you roll 5 dice, you have a 7.7% chance of "zilching" and when you roll 4 dice, you have 15.7% chance of "zilching". Obviously, if you do "zilch", you not only score zero points, but you lose the potential to score more points with additional rolls.

So, I think the ultimate answer lies in how much of a risk you are willing take, especially within the context of your current game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.