Subject: If you're going to San Fransisco... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Van de Voorde
Belgium
Schoonaarde (Dendermonde)
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
Have a Dikke Knuffel (A Big Hug for you non dutch speaking people :) )
badge
Stepping out on the road is a dangerous business. You have to keep your feet under you, or before you know it you'll be swept off to who knows where!
mbmbmb
Hi all,

I'm visiting San Fransisco this May (I'm going to JavaOne)
and I was wondering what I should visit in SF.

I know about Alcatraz, The Golden Gate Bridge and Chinatown.

What do you suggest I visit?

And which games (that are not available in Europe)
should I buy while I'm there?

Best regards,

Belgian Board Gamer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter,

I lived there for 10 years. I would check out wine country in Napa or Sonoma, but those are day trips and you'll need a car.

Other main attractions:

Golden Gate Park
Fisherman's Wharf (I know, tourist trap, but great seafood)
Ghirardelis (I'd be interested to see how you would compare their chocolate to Belgian)
Hit a Giants game at AT&T Park
The Haight district (birthplace of the 60s Hippie movement).

GM me if you want more ideas.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van de Voorde
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
Stepping out on the road is a dangerous business. You have to keep your feet under you, or before you know it you'll be swept off to who knows where!
mbmbmb
Allready thanks for the replies

Jim: There is no need to compare chocolate, the belgian is the best

Just as our Beer

I'll try to see if I can visit those places.

How long does a Giants game last? And will I understand anything about the rules? I'm just a simple belgian

Best regards,

BBG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van de Voorde
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Be sure to wear flowers in your hair. cool

Which kind of flowers would be best suited to get past the custom and security guys at the airport?

Red, white and blue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tsar Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Sooooo many people from the Bay Area here, but having lived there twice, and never considering myself more than a tourist each time, I recommend a trip to Berkley and Sausalito. Both are right across a bridge.

Or in Berkley's case, a BART ride away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tsar Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
zonk67 wrote:
Peter,
I lived there for 10 years. I would check out wine country in Napa or Sonoma, but those are day trips and you'll need a car.
Other main attractions:
Golden Gate Park
Fisherman's Wharf (I know, tourist trap, but great seafood)
Ghirardelis (I'd be interested to see how you would compare their chocolate to Belgian)
Hit a Giants game at AT&T Park
The Haight district (birthplace of the 60s Hippie movement).
GM me if you want more ideas.
Have fun!

Good list. I saw the conference is the 6th-9th, so I would avoid a Napa trip for a short visit. You can drink the wine in SF.

I would go to a Giants game (side note: I am a A's fan; hate the Giants, but would be a good expeirence and great stadium). Doesn't matter if you don't know the rules, just do what everyone else does and drink the beer.

Golden Gate Park can also take you to the Pacific Ocean (Ocean Beach). Just don't plan on swimming; it is California but that water is cold! Speaking of...bring warm clothes, it gets windy and cold, especially at night. Sweaters, or better a good jacket you can take on and off, and pants. Don't let the sun fool you. You can awalys tell tourists in SF because they are wearing t-shirts and shorts and freezing their butts off.

See's candy is also from the Bay Area if you want to try Chocolate comparisons. Anchor Steam Beer is local and unique, and there are many other micro-breweries/restaurants around.

If you have never had a good Pizza. Zachary's pizza in Berkeley or Oakland (just a BART ride away) is a must. Rockridge BART station is a block away from the Oakland Zacharys (on the border with Berkeley).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van de Voorde
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'll be staying from the 3th till the 11th, so I've got some time extra

Thanks for the clothing tips, I didn't know that.

Can you buy tickets for the Giants at the stadium or do you have to buy them in advance?

Beer is always nice, but you'll have a hard time competing with belgian beers.

I'll remember all the great restaurant tips, my hotel is only a block away from a BART station so those are some good tips.

I would like to thank you all very much.

And thumbs up to all of you

Best regards,

Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tsar Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
BelgianBoardGamer wrote:

Can you buy tickets for the Giants at the stadium or do you have to buy them in advance?

Good question. Depends on who they are playing. Just looked up the schedule and they are away until the 9th, when the Philadelphia Phillies arrive in town. Probably wouldn't sell out, but who knows? You can get tickets at the stadium if they aren't sold out.

The A's are home from the 2nd until the 7th. Texas Rangers (Dallas) and the Baltimore Orioles. They won't sell out, and BART goes right to the stadium. I just wouldn't go anywhere except from BART to the stadium and back; not a lot to do around there which is why they never sell out unless the Yankees or Red Sox are in town (not the safest area if you stray from the path of BART to Stadium). Good food and beer (sorry just California Beers (better than Budweiser; Gordon Biersch German type lagers, and Guinness if you go to the right places)). Probably not as good an experience than the Giant's stadium for a general observer of the game, but they play better baseball than the Giants .

BelgianBoardGamer wrote:
Beer is always nice, but you'll have a hard time competing with belgian beers.

You will have to try Fat Tire Ale from New Belgian Brewing Company. Made in Colorado; it is very popular right now in California and I would be interested in your opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Nate's BBQ in SOMA.
Cafe Cha Cha Cha in the Haight.
Pancho Villa's in the Mission (I prefer El Castillito on 16th and Mission, but Pancho's is more tourist-friendly. El Castillito probably violates most health codes on a daily basis.)

...and a couple of tourist traps, but worth it:
1) The Stinking Rose in North Beach (if you like garlic, that is)
2) Alcatraz

Edit:

Oh, and be warned: the Haight, the Mission and parts of SOMA are in the 'hood, yo. Same with a lot of Berkeley.

If you like books -- and I bet the Venn diagram of 'game nerd' and 'book nerd' is pretty much overlapping circles -- check out City Lights Books, also in North Beach. Epicenter of the Beats.

I'm an art nerd too, so check out SF MOMA, at least for the architecture. Very hit or miss, though.

The Exploratorium is... a special place on earth.

If you're willing to drive about 1 1/2, 2 hours south to Monterey, you can check out the premier aquarium and oceanographic center in the nation: the Monterey Bay Aquarium. There are a buttload of parks around Monterey, so you can make a credible day trip of it.

Places I'd warn against:
Do NOT go to Fisherman's Wharf. DO NOT. It's where SF in its wisdom herds all the tourists -- in one small area of town, where it gouges them for everything they've got, where they also never seem to venture beyond the confines of the wharf except to get on cable cars.
Don't go to Ghirardelli Square either. You can get the chocolate anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The Exploratorium -- my single favourite place in the city.
Thanh Long down on 45th and Judah -- get the baked crab.
Take an AdventureCat tour of the bay -- good sailing goodness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the Pasta Factory restaraunt still operating. That was some good eating. If it is, I would recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Golden Gate Park. Sitting in the Japanese Garden, enjoying a pot of tea, is an unbelievably relaxing activity, and some of the views in the garden are wonderful.

Another fun place is the SF Zoo, but I would only go if.....

1) you can run faster than a tiger, or...
2) you can run faster than everyone you're with.

If you're in the mood for a day trip, Point Reyes Lighthouse is a unique experience.

My wife says try the Fog City Diner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van de Voorde
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
bbenston wrote:

If you like books -- and I bet the Venn diagram of 'game nerd' and 'book nerd' is pretty much overlapping circles -- check out City Lights Books, also in North Beach. Epicenter of the Beats.

The Exploratorium is... a special place on earth.

I love books, so I'm certainly going to check it out, I can always use some more good english language books.

The Exploratorium looks nice too, might go and visit it

clearclaw wrote:

Take an AdventureCat tour of the bay -- good sailing goodness.

Sounds good, I always liked sailing.

dogzard wrote:

My wife says try the Fog City Diner.

Always listen to the wife

Thanks for all the great tips guys.

thumbsup for everyone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the tip about the clothing is definitely nice. I went to SF in the middle of summer and was quite cold during the night in my shorts.

I would also recommend the Japanese Tea Gardens. It is also close to a rose garden. This map, kinda shows that.

Also, talking about another rose, if you like garlic, and who doesn't, then I highly recommend The Stinking Rose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hamzy wrote:
Yeah, the tip about the clothing is definitely nice. I went to SF in the middle of summer and was quite cold during the night in my shorts.

Like Mark Twain said: "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.