mojo shivers
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had my copy of the game for about three weeks now. I've played at least sixty games total. All this time I thought whenever we lost it was because we made a mistake and that, had we played more intelligently, we could have won. Now I'm starting to form another theory.

The game is actively working against us to make sure we can't win.

I say this because in three back-to-back 2-player Heroic level games we played on 03/08 my copy of Pandemic bent the laws of probability to insure we lost.

First game: We had two turns left. My friend had just gotten the cure for the last disease and all we needed to do is get through his infection phase. The only city, THE ONLY CITY, that had 3 cubes on it to give us our eighth and final outbreak had been shuffled into the deck on my turn. There was about sixteen or seventeen cards shuffled on top. We decided to play "One Quiet Night" on my previous turn for the express reason that we only needed a few more turns to cure. That meant, even with five epidemics, one card out of sixteen wasn't safe. Even drawing four cards for the infection phase, we had a 75% chance of winning.

What does the first card drawn happen to be? The one that made us big fat losers.

GAME: 1 HUMAN: 0

Second game: This one we never even had a chance. We started the round with only two black two cube cities. We drew an epidemic on my turn on one of the two cube cities. Boom--instant outbreak. That, in turn gave three cube cities to the city right next to it and one cube to all the other connected cities. That's cool, we still were at five outbreaks and looking good for the win with us only one card away to cure for the last two diseases. We shuffle the discards into the infection deck. The first card was fine. It added one more cube to one of the other cities close by, but even then it only two cubes.

Then all hell broke loose. The second city, the one with the three cubes caused by the first outbreak, outbroke. That set off the original city again, which could outbreak again since it was a different chain. Boom two more outbreaks. What's worse that added one more cube to the third city. Suddenly we're at seven outbreaks.

Then what do you know? The third card we pull from the deck just happens to by the third city. Coincidence? I think not.

Somehow black went from having only two two-cube cities to giving us four outbreaks in ONE TURN for another loss.

This is the point in the evening when we postulate the theory that my game truly hates us and does not want us to succeed. This was immediately followed by lots of fist-shaking and oaths of vengeance.

The game quietly snickers.

GAME: 2 HUMAN:0

Third game: This game was the straw that broke the camel's back and the one we finally had proof the game was loading the deck on its own (moving cards that would make us lose to the top of the infection deck and moving cards we needed to win to the bottom of the player deck).

We had put ourselves in a good position. We had about seven or eight turns to go but we only needed one more black player card to cure black, the last disease for the win. Either one of us could have drawn it since my friend was the operations expert and could drop a station same turn once he had the fifth and final card. I was the Researcher and could give him the last card as soon as a I drew it.

What happened next was next to impossible.

We went through six straight turns without drawing a black and lost by having to place a cube when we didn't have any cubes left.

We were incredulous. Six straight turns meant there were twelve straight cards without a black being drawn. We checked the discard pile, we had only thrown out three black cards. With the four in my friend's play area, that left four black cards to be drawn. To put it simply, with the twelve cards we drew and the four black cards left, the pulls would have looked like this to win.

1st pull: (4 out of 16) 25% chance of pulling the last black we needed.
2nd (4 out of 15) 27%
3rd 29%
4th 31%
5th 34%
6th 37%
7th 40%
8th 45%
9th 50%
10th 57%
11th 67%
12th 80%!!! (BTW we pulled the sixth epidemic here, but even that didn't kill us on outbreaks; it killed us because we needed to put 3 cubes on a space but we only had 1 cube left)

Sure enough, we pulled the last 4 remaining player cards and they were the last 4 blacks.

GAME: 3 HUMAN: 0

CONCLUSION: The game is alive! And it will do whatever it takes to win, even if that means "pushing" winning cards to the bottom of the player deck and losing cards to the top of the infection deck.

This game cheats. I hate cheaters.

*edited for spelling and grammar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Candido
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and people tell me terminator shall rise from the machine, nay I say they shall rise from the game and the world will bow before the pandemic! robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mojo shivers
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reashi wrote:
and people tell me terminator shall rise from the machine, nay I say they shall rise from the game and the world will bow before the pandemic! robot

Which prompts Pandemic to make a bold announcement...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthijs v S
Netherlands
Enschede
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this article is stupid. Games can't be sentient, and never will be.

Except, of course, Arkham Horror

maybe its influence is spreading like an infestious plague?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Blair
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic review!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
most diseases are destroyed by fire. Light a match and move slowly towards the game, if it shivers and starts to shuffle away from the heat, you'll know... devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bachelor
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your game cannot have achieved sentience - as noted before only Arkham Horror has achieved that ability. However, there are OTHER game traits that may be migrating to pandemic from other games. To me it is obvious to me that one of your players MUST have been a traitor! While the traitor mechanic may have migrated to Pandemic, the traitor REVEAL mechanic has not.

There is only one thing for you to do.

Next time you play the game look suspiciously at a player every time they draw a card that hinders your progress and say "That card draw looks awfully traitorous to me!"....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mojo shivers
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, any time another player even picks a card from the Infection deck I ask, "Why are you helping it?! You're working with the game, aren't you?! I can't trust any of you."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mojo shivers wrote:

First game: We had two turns left. My friend had just gotten the cure for the last disease and all we needed to do is get through his infection phase.

If your friend discovered the fourth and final cure does that not mean you instantly win?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mojo shivers
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dragon of blood wrote:
mojo shivers wrote:

First game: We had two turns left. My friend had just gotten the cure for the last disease and all we needed to do is get through his infection phase.

If your friend discovered the fourth and final cure does that not mean you instantly win?

He drew it on his "draw 2 cards" phase meaning we had to get back to his turn before he could cure... which we never did because the game made sure we'd never get the chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just hope none of you work for the Center for Disease Control! robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mojo shivers wrote:
Sure enough, we pulled the last 4 remaining player cards and they were the last 4 blacks.

Well there's yer problem. You're just a crappy shuffler. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mojo shivers
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
mojo shivers wrote:

Well there's yer problem. You're just a crappy shuffler. devil

See? That's my point, the game wants you to blame poor shuffling, poor decision-making skills, or even general bad luck when the real mastermind is the game itself. It toys with you and then yanks victory away from you at the last minute by shuffling the cards, moving cubes where it knows you're going to draw an infection card next, or even plain making sure you can't get to where you need to go in time.

It's true what they say, the greatest trick Pandemic's intelligence ever pulled was convincing gameplayers everywhere that it didn't exist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Day
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
This game must have taken the idea from my game Dark Tower. You think you get to decide what you are doing? No, you are always at the mercy of the tower sauron. I remember in Dark Tower how over and over I thought "This game is in the bag, there is no way I can lose" only to get stomped. Of course with Dark Tower someone gets to win, the game just made sure it was not me. Pandemic can actually make you lose, hence it wins. I can image the doom that awaits me and I can't wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mojo shivers wrote:

Second game: This one we never even had a chance. We started the round with only two black two cube cities. We drew an epidemic on my turn on one of the two cube cities. Boom--instant outbreak.

How was this possible? You pull the Epidemic card from the BOTTOM of the deck. It is impossible for this city to already have two cubes in it..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mojo shivers
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From outbreaks on neighboring cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.