Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy won this game by having a monopoly on elephants. Well, perhaps not, but that's what it felt like. I'd done well in our last game having more than my share of elephants, but this time I couldn't seem to take a trick. The one time I was sure I'd win elephants - I had six of them in one colour - Rich played seven!

Urgh.

Where I did come into my own was in routes; I had the Rajah a few times, and then was able to create nice looping routes that gave me more than a few points in the last few turns.

Trade goods, on the other hand, belonged to Randy, and he got many a point from them. Rich had been hurt by his duel with me, and rarely had enough cards for what he wanted after then. He'd started well, but the late game wasn't so good. He often needed to go out after playing one or two cards and got nothing... the spiral of despair then kept him down. Yes, he scored points, but not enough.

Josh played a balanced - and surprisingly effective - game. He got the +2 privilege early, and kept it for most of the game. I took it off him for a couple of turns, but unfortunately that was at the time I was lacking in cards, and so couldn't use it in one round. Then Josh took it back...

Here are the scores at the end of each round:
I: Josh 2, Randy 2, Rich 1, Merric 1
II: Josh 4, Rich 4, Randy 3, Merric 1
III: Rich 7, Randy 6, Josh 5, Merric 4
IV: Rich 10, Josh 7, Merric 7, Randy 6
V: Rich 16, Josh 13, Merric 9, Randy 6
At this point, we'd seen the pattern of the early game. Things were about to change.

VI: Rich 16, Josh 16, Randy 12, Merric 11
VII: Rich 23, Josh 20, Randy 15, Merric 12
VIII: Rich 25, Josh 21, Randy 21, Merric 14
IX: Rich 25, Randy 24, Josh 23, Merric 23
I'd just had my first big round; Randy had also been speeding up the table, and Rich had stalled.

X: Merric 29, Randy 28, Rich 26, Josh 23
XI: Randy 35, Merric 32, Josh 29, Rich 27
XII: Randy 45, Merric 43, Josh 34, Rich 27
I took the +4 bonus for the last table, plus a lot of connected provinces points... Randy got the elephants and a lot of trade goods as a result; I was close to Randy, but it all depended on what was left in hand...

Final: Randy 48, Merric 47, Josh 42, Rich 30

So close, and yet... so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Eldridge
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Rich had been hurt by his duel with me, and rarely had enough cards for what he wanted after then. He'd started well, but the late game wasn't so good. He often needed to go out after playing one or two cards and got nothing... the spiral of despair then kept him down. Yes, he scored points, but not enough.

Story of the night gamewise for me really...apart from our game of Thebes. Glorify the stronger, and point out the faults in the not so good.shake

I prefer Maharajah over its sister game Taj Mahal....palace building and moving buildings is more my style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.