Popular Tags: [View All]
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the 2258 Core set (boring box) as a birthday present. Fair enough, I'm a B5 fan, so it looks like it might be fun. But I'm trying to find out what was actually released in CGS optimistic release schedule...

I believe that the 4 'base' empires were released - EA, Minbari, Centauri & Narn. Also the 2258 & 2259 Core sets. Do the 4 separate empires fit the 2258 or 2259 timeline?

I think, from comments here, that the Shadow & Vorlon expansions were released - is that true?

And lastly, was the League of Unaligned Worlds set released at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what you mean with the 2258/2259 sets fitting the timeline?

In terms of expansions, yes the Shadow, Vorlon and League sets were released. They also released a Psi Corp set as well. Bester was a fun character to play. We were in the midst of playtesting the Ranger expansion when things folded. Would have been nice to put the Whitestars to use...

Bob
"We Live For the One, We Die For The One"

Wulf Corbett wrote:
I just got the 2258 Core set (boring box) as a birthday present. Fair enough, I'm a B5 fan, so it looks like it might be fun. But I'm trying to find out what was actually released in CGS optimistic release schedule...

I believe that the 4 'base' empires were released - EA, Minbari, Centauri & Narn. Also the 2258 & 2259 Core sets. Do the 4 separate empires fit the 2258 or 2259 timeline?

I think, from comments here, that the Shadow & Vorlon expansions were released - is that true?

And lastly, was the League of Unaligned Worlds set released at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Montgomery
United States
Watauga
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased all of these as they came out, and I'm enough of a B5 geek to be able to answer the timeline question.

One of the big differences between the 2258 and 2259 sets, at least as far as the Earth Alliance set was concerned, were the upgrades to the B5 station and some of the battlecruisers. There were new stats for the upgraded ships and for B5, and they got new counters to reflect the new stats. Also, there were some personnel changes between the two seasons, and those are reflected in the cards available in their draw deck.

Enjoy!
--Aahz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashitaka wrote:
Not sure what you mean with the 2258/2259 sets fitting the timeline?

thanks for the reply. Got to get me my Drazi...angry

As for the timeline, my thinking was that the single-empire releases were the same as those included in the Core sets - but as the 2258 & 2259 Core sets are different, the single empire releases must have been either one or the other. Or were there two versions of each?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been several years since I worked with this game, I don't recall the differences offhand. I seem to remember they were similar, but had a few different cards. Don't know about the different ship stat's at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard a rumor that there was also a Deep Space 9 game released, but I have never seen it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a DS9 and a Next Generation game printed and to my knowledge never mass released. I have a copy of each that was acquired through a friend with connections in Europe. Odd way to get a copy considering I was part of the development/playtest team... shake

On a related note, there was also a Hercules and Xena version of the game.

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Molyneaux
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
The comic character Nexus, by Mike Baron and Steve Rude
badge
The comic character Nexus, by Mike Baron and Steve Rude
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some differences between how the 2258 and the 2259 sets were produced.

1) The 2258 core set was released concurrently with expansion sets for each of those core races. The 2258 core set is identical to the individual core races that were released as 2258 expansions. (Minbari,Centauri, Narn, Earth) It has all of the same parts, IIRC.

2) The 2259 core set was also released concurrently with those four races' updated 2259 expansions. However...the core set for this year is not quite the same as the expansions for this year. The playing pieces and dice are all identical, but the cards were completely different between the core set and the expansions. I remember getting around this by buying a set of cards directly from the company.

3) There were also 4 expansion 'races' produced, but never updated timeline-wise. These are the League, Vorlons, Shadows, and PsiCorp.

4) Lastly, there was a reinforcement pack that was made, which included a few freighters and raiders. It also included bases for all the various races, so you didn't have to only use generic bases. This gave the bases more of an 'ownership' feel to them when playing.

As far as I know, no Star Trek related CGS parts were released, at least in the US. There were plans to do Star Trek game sets as well as Battlestar Galactica. I believe that aside from the Babylon 5 game, the only other games the company managed to produce were the Hercules/Xena games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, the Battlestar Galactica version never got off the ground, even from a playtesting perspective... cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hayward
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your interested, last I checked Paradox in Poole, Dorset still had some CGS stuff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sandholme wrote:
If your interested, last I checked Paradox in Poole, Dorset still had some CGS stuff

Where can I find them? www.paradoxcomics.co.uk seems to be dead...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.