Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Kitkowski
Japan
TOKYO
TOKYO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Hey all, I picked this up last week and my group gave it a shot. We had fun, but there were a few things that weren't gelling right that I wanted to ask here:

1) +1 Action token: This special token... I can't really see a use for it. You can't use it to perform a building's action twice. Can someone give me an idea of what it's used for?
(edit: Oh, I just thought of this) Is it so that you can mack out on Another building's action even if it's not officially your action? Maybe that's it.

2) The Ownership Tokens (the ones you put on buildings to mark which ones are "yours"): Do you start the game off with *any*? Or can you only get them by landing on the cathedral and taking an action? They seem to be a big part of the game, yet looking at the rules it didn't appear that you started with any.

3) What happens if the person controlling the tower (their turn) moves onto a building and no one bribed them for it, yet say three players are like, "well, I wouldn't mind taking an action here for free". How does the tower person decide who takes an action here? Does he give out the action to the person he likes? Does it go clockwise? Can you simply not take an action unless you bribe?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) It allows you to take an additional action, which must be bargained for like any other action. It just allows you to cash it in to take another action during a single tower turn.
2) You don't start with any.
3) You can't take it for free unless the tower player lets you, which would be silly on heir part. An offer must be for at least some cash (5 is the usual trivial offer) and/or some goods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) It allows you to bid for another action again when you have taken an action that turn already. It's a very useful special action. You do not do the building twice.

2) correct. You do not start off with any ownership tokens.

3) They must bribe you a MINIUMUM of 5 ducats before you must give someone an action. For free is not a valid choice. You can move on if they try to pull that. Edit: if more than one person offers the same, you choose who you accept from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason, this game does seem to be particularly hard to get a handle on.

The "one further action" special card is arguably the most valuable item in the game. It allows you, as others have said, to take two (or more, if you have more "further action" cards) actions in one tower phase instead of your alotted one action. You don't get to re-use an action or butt in on another player's action, you actually get two distinct actions (you choose when to take the second one, obviously, and turn in the "one further action" card when you take it) in one tower phase.

The ownership tokens sound important, but they're really not particularly central to the game. A lot of games, only one or two players will even get any, let alone get any money or "building actions" (with the palace's special card) from them. Don't make the mistake of connecting "ownership" of a building with ownership of the privilege associated with a building. The two end-game bonuses--one for having an ownership token on a building, and one for having privilege cards--are entirely separate. This is why many people choose not to use ownership tokens very much; every individual privilege card and individual ownership token [on the board] is worth 10 gold at the end of the game, but privilege cards have increasing returns (the more you have, the more you get, since they'll likely connect to each other), whereas ownership tokens are always worth just 10 gold. It's possible to get a few royalties or extra "building actions" during the game, but that's not likely to net you as much as going for the privilege cards. Most of my games, the ownership tokens really only come into play the last few rounds after all of the privilege cards have already been taken.

Finally, not every building you move into will necessarily be taken as an action, and not every player will necessarily take an action every turn. If you don't want an action enough to pay for it, you won't get it. Barring the strange exception wherein the tower player must accept a bribe if it is the only one offered and he (the tower player, that is) can't or doesn't want to take the current building's action, the tower player entirely controls the granting of actions during his turn. If no one is offering any money or the tower player has enough "further action" cards to take every single action he passes through, then it's possible that no one but the tower player takes an action during any given round.

Good luck figuring out the game. It's well worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kitkowski
Japan
TOKYO
TOKYO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Hey everyone: Thanks for your replies. I think I have the rules locked down now. We'll be trying again next week. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The extra action token is a 'battery.' Give up an action now to take an extra action on a future turn. When you take it, there probably wasn't much else on that turn you wanted to do. In the future, when you use it, there probably are 2+ good things to do. So it lets you turn a (now) mediocre turn into a (future) very valuable turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
If no one is offering any money or the tower player has enough "further action" cards to take every single action he passes through, then it's possible that no one but the tower player takes an action during any given round.

Additionally, if no one is offering enough in trade, the tower player can simply say "I'm done" and nobody will get an action. That's exceptionally rare. In almost every case, except at the very end of the game, it's worthwhile for someone to make an offer.

If there are five players, and player A is the tower player, and player B will benefit from an action, it is in player B's interest to offer player A 40-50% of the benefit. Players A and B both gain an advantage on players C, D and E. Over the course of the turn, player A will gain the most, and each of the other players will gain a little. Probably one player will not get an action... and thus, the auction of actions is crucial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cristofani
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rappak wrote:
3) They must bribe you a MINIUMUM of 5 ducats before you must give someone an action. For free is not a valid choice. You can move on if they try to pull that. Edit: if more than one person offers the same, you choose who you accept from.

Even if they don't offer the same, you choose who to accept from. You can take 5 ducats (e.g. from someone you think is out of the running) even if someone else offered you 40.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.